News NRL torched over fresh blunder during Las Vegas promo tour

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The US do not know the difference between Rugby and Rugby League. Union is far more entrenched in the US than league. Makes sense to target existing systems of Rugby and League. Typical news article to use their platform to throw shit at the game.
With 4 teams over there they'd be able to send a few players to any school that'd let them in the gates.

They've tried a few times to generate American interest. Generating interest in playing the game is not the goal for Vlandys. He's admitted to marketing the game as a gambling product. I'd say the school visits were an afterthought.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I dare say there isn’t any Rugby League schools in the USA, hence why the article failed to name any as an alternative to the school Leniu visited.

Nothing wrong with targeting a school that has knowledge of / systems built around our biggest rival code.
The Utah Rugby league association could have done a good job of advising on schools with potential growth of their league programs.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Add to the list of PVL fuck ups.
Everything the slob touches in the NRL turns to mud. Nothing surprising about this story either.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The US do not know the difference between Rugby and Rugby League. Union is far more entrenched in the US than league. Makes sense to target existing systems of Rugby and League. Typical news article to use their platform to throw shit at the game.
I thought the exact same thing bro. I really don’t see the problem, if u get a few to convert it’s a win.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Who cares about Murica seriously. The last thing we need in Straya is more Murikan influence.

I hope the teams that return from Vegas implode and have shocking seasons.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Waste of time and money trying to crack the American market. it will NEVER happen.
it’s funny, if soccer has little influence in the US compared to most of the world what does the NRL think it’s going to be like.. PVL wants a share of that $$$ but I doubt it will happen unless league takes off and it won’t.

I love that sport in the US is their own if you get what I mean, with NASCAR and NFL etc. League couldn’t survive without an influx of players coming outside of Australia.

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
it’s funny, if soccer has little influence in the US compared to most of the world what does the NRL think it’s going to be like.. PVL wants a share of that $$$ but I doubt it will happen unless league takes off and it won’t.

I love that sport in the US is their own if you get what I mean, with NASCAR and NFL etc. League couldn’t survive without an influx of players coming outside of Australia.
I wouldn’t say “Soccer” has little influence in America these days. In a recent poll 10% of American voted “ soccer” as their favourite sport , just behind Baseball and Basketball. That’s over 30 million people, it’s not a small number. American Football is way ahead but “soccer “ has made a substantial rise in popularity ( men and women)
Over 7 million kids from the ages of 6 to 17 play the game , and it’s one of the most popular played sports for adults with 11 million participants . You look at these stats and they are huge, the game will only grow more.
Rugby League will never crack that market quite simply because it will be competing with NFL which will always be entrenched as the number 1 sport there.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn’t say “Soccer” has little influence in America these days. In a recent poll 10% of American voted “ soccer” as their favourite sport , just behind Baseball and Basketball. That’s over 30 million people, it’s not a small number. American Football is way ahead but “soccer “ has made a substantial rise in popularity ( men and women)
Over 7 million kids from the ages of 6 to 17 play the game , and it’s one of the most popular played sports for adults with 11 million participants . You look at these stats and they are huge, the game will only grow more.
Rugby League will never crack that market quite simply because it will be competing with NFL which will always be entrenched as the number 1 sport there.
10%/30M isn't a small number but its no where as big as it could be when compared to other local sports that dominate their sporting world.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Americans simply like doing things differently to the rest of the world. They won't give a shit about something unless they invented it or come up with their own version.

They drive on the wrong side of the road
They have their own form of Rugby which is NFL
Baseball instead of Cricket
Indy Car rather than F1
Even like to spell words differently from the rest of the English speaking world.... Fuck them.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wouldn't expect anything less given the game is run by a horse racing guy! Vlandys has no place in league.
He was the perfect man to get us through the covid hysteria, but he is just becoming a dead weight on the game's back.

axeman23

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Did Knockonbor hear the words "High School", fly over and try to sneak his way into the playing group? :sweatsmile: