NRL to introduce salary cap on off-field spending in 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikgan123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook

The NRL will introduce a limit on football club spending next year in the biggest club equalisation measure since the establishment of a salary cap.

The governing body and its clubs are in the process of signing off on a whole-of-game funding agreement that effectively extinguishes any threat of a Super League-style breakaway competition. Rugby League Central has sent all clubs a copy of the memorandum of understanding which, when signed, will become a binding agreement that secures their financial future and holds them to a perpetual license to play in the NRL competition.

Limited resources: Newcastle Knights have struggled this year. Photo: Jonathan Carroll

It's understood the document - obtained by Fairfax Media - has been signed off by a number of clubs. Others are expected to do likewise to qualify for the promised up-front payment of $1.125 million each in early July, made possible by the record broadcast deal. The clubs stand to earn an additional $100 million from 2018 to 2022, with additional grants totalling 130 per cent of player payments over that period.

Head office is keen to ensure its franchises don't squander those funds, while also seeking to create an even playing field by controlling off-field expenditure. To that end, for the first time there will be a ceiling on the amount of money spent on football departments from 2017.

The cap will likely apply to the dollars spent on the head coach and his staff, sports science, high-performance units, study trips and other means of achieving an off-field edge. There is a discrepancy of about $10 million between what the richest and poorest clubs spend off the field, with the new cap to bridge the gap.

Hey, big spender: Wayne Bennett and the Broncos spend a lot of money on their off-field set-up. Photo: Getty Images

"The parties will form a working group consisting of both ARLC and NRL club representatives with the express mandate to research and develop a football department cap system by no later than 31 October 2016," the agreement states.

"The terms of reference of this [six-person] working group will include development of the protocols for calculating football department expenses, cap limits and rules, reporting of information, compliance monitoring processes and penalties for non-compliance. An agreed process for capping football department expenses will be incorporated in the New Club Licence."

The AFL introduced an "equalisation tax" two years ago after confirming there is a correlation between football department spending and success on the field. Exactly how it is applied in the NRL remains to be determined, with rigorous debate sure to ensue before a figure is settled upon.

Brisbane and Melbourne are among the biggest-spending clubs off the field, paying head coaches Wayne Bennett and Craig Bellamy seven-figure sums. Wests Tigers, Gold Coast and Newcastle - the clubs that have gone cap-in-hand to the NRL for financial assistance - spend just a fraction of the amount on staff and facilities.

Another contentious issue is the NRL's move to remove ratchet clauses from player contracts. While the clubs and the League are aligned on the issue, the move puts them on a collision course with the Rugby League Players' Association. With the salary cap yet to be set for 2018 and beyond, most star players and their managers are holding off on a decision or asking for pay rises commensurate with any salary cap increases. The RLPA wants ratchet clauses to remain but the MOU states they are to be abolished, with a separate working party to be formed to oversee the drafting of a new collective bargaining agreement with the players.

"As a first step, ARLC and NRL clubs will agree a whole of game position regarding the use of ratchet style clauses in player contracts which they shall jointly and immediately take to the RLPA for approval," the document states.

Another working party will be formed by June 30 to focus on the issue of 'centralised stadia and match placement' for Sydney clubs. It's understood the NRL won't be able to dictate to clubs where to play matches, although several want clarification on the issue before signing off on the agreement.

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If club spending is capped then what's the point of memberships? Raelene will be out of a job because she won't be able to use the money she gets from taking our home games to China and selling memberships to refugees

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Greenterd once again changing shit that doesnt need to be changed fix the fuking refs up and give parra their punishment ,when he was our ceo i really rated him but hes been shit since joining the nrl

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Something does need to be done, you can call it punishing success all you like but the playing field is so not level.

The reason they brought in the salary cap was to level the playing field, so unless they try to actually make it fair what is the point of having a salary cap? You might as well just get rid of it rather than do nothing.

I would love to see how much each club is actually spending on their roster. I guarantee you the difference is millions upon millions of dollars. Add into that the difference in TPA's that more successful clubs can attract and you can easily see that we have a massive issue.

Yeah yeah it is all well and good to say that clubs with better revenue streams should get these benefits, and they should get some benefit, just not uncapped benefits.

Unless of course you would rather see teams like the Knights, Titans, Tigers, Raiders and a few more die out. Even if you hate those poorer clubs, we need them. We need coverage across the country to compete with AFL, we need to grow the game not cut it down.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This is absolute bullshit. Might as well just turn the NRL into an amateur competition again so the governing body have an easier job of guaranteeing they've got no issues fulfilling their main role of making money. It doesn't matter that we'll have a substandard product because us mirons that party their wages are only dollars to headquarters at the moment anyway.

If they're going to reduce off field spending, start by cutting the wages of the big money earners at NRL headquarters and maybe we'll actually get someone working there that loves the game. At the moment it seems like we've got a money hungry grub that is jealous that some coaches are worth more money than them.

Absolute bullshit.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is absolute bullshit. Might as well just turn the NRL into an amateur competition again so the governing body have an easier job of guaranteeing they've got no issues fulfilling their main role of making money. It doesn't matter that we'll have a substandard product because us mirons that party their wages are only dollars to headquarters at the moment anyway.

If they're going to reduce off field spending, start by cutting the wages of the big money earners at NRL headquarters and maybe we'll actually get someone working there that loves the game. At the moment it seems like we've got a money hungry grub that is jealous that some coaches are worth more money than them.

Absolute bullshit.
Hopefully the big clubs stand firm and not sign it

Trendsetter

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
If they put a cap on spending, how the fuck are we going to feed Kasiano??

Endeavour

Kennel Participant
Gilded
Reaction score
I bet it will be really hard to administer. How many big spending clubs will be able to come in under the new salary cap straight away especially if the support coaches are also on reasonable salaries. I bet Clubs that spend a lot will have to get rid of some support staff too. Instead of penalising absolutely everyone then CEO genius Todd Greenberg should be actively working out a plan to improve the running of and appeal of the struggling clubs. Shane Richardson was employed to solve the State of origin problem and to facilitate expansion (which would have meant losing some teams). He did neither.

I think this attempt to even the playing field will just make it even more of a less attractive sport for anyone, players and support staff alike to work in. Why play an amateur hour sport when you can play something with money and the best of everything. Isn't that one of the reasons why Hayne went to NFL. James Graham has been commenting lately on the growth of Union as a proper international sport. League is lagging. Given that they also intend to introduce the rule that you can't offer youngsters under a certain age club contracts then I fail to see anything good or positive happening with the game. Even the bunker was meant to improve things but it hasn't really and has bought a new set of problems which the NRL refuse to fix thinking that fines will quiet the discontent.

This just adds potential for more genuine administrative errors and some genuine rorting as well and somewhere down the track some team will get pulled up and fans will be disappointed because they will have points docked.

I'm surprised at the Clubs falling for the waft of instant cash under their noses and them willing to sign anything that will stop them forming a breakaway comp. They have already handed so much power to the NRL. This so they can sign a perpetual licence? Would that mean the end of any further expansion plans unless they make a conference competition as wouldn't agreeing to a perpetual licence mean you can't be kicked out of the comp? Actually no I'm not surprised as club CEO's just seem to chase the money rather than have any long term vision of the game and their own clubs.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
dragging down the richer clubs... wooo

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Something does need to be done, you can call it punishing success all you like but the playing field is so not level.

The reason they brought in the salary cap was to level the playing field, so unless they try to actually make it fair what is the point of having a salary cap? You might as well just get rid of it rather than do nothing.

I would love to see how much each club is actually spending on their roster. I guarantee you the difference is millions upon millions of dollars. Add into that the difference in TPA's that more successful clubs can attract and you can easily see that we have a massive issue.

Yeah yeah it is all well and good to say that clubs with better revenue streams should get these benefits, and they should get some benefit, just not uncapped benefits.

Unless of course you would rather see teams like the Knights, Titans, Tigers, Raiders and a few more die out. Even if you hate those poorer clubs, we need them. We need coverage across the country to compete with AFL, we need to grow the game not cut it down.
I also think the Salary cap kind of half arses things (and I would get rid of it, subject to my comments below).

I do disagree with the last comment though. I know the AFL persists with clubs that are rubbish, but it also is a major drain on the league. The AFL would probably benefit from cutting at least a couple of Melbourne Clubs, just like the NRL needs to get rid of a couple of Sydney ones.

What I would be more in favour of is the NRL ensuring there is more of a level playing field when it comes to a balance of access to fans/members and corporate opportunities. At the moment, the Broncos have a ridiculous advantage. Why on earth does Sydney have 9 teams and a city just under half its size (with a stronger overall league following) have 1? If each side had a fair opportunity to access evenly sized league markets (not completely practical in practice i realise), then Clubs with truly good governance will thrive.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
How they going to police this ?

Install recording devices at the local Nandos where the brown paper bags are being handed over ?

Reaction score
aren't we a capitalist nation? what's with the commie controlling, everyone must be the same, all shall be fair, forget the grand final all teams are equal premiers

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Does anyone else feel perhaps the NRLs biggest issues is a need /want to micromanage every other club out there, instead of either letting them thrive or struggle??

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
Does anyone else feel perhaps the NRLs biggest issues is a need /want to micromanage every other club out there, instead of either letting them thrive or struggle??
Todd is running this like a dictatorship.
This is totally unacceptable on every level.

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
aren't we a capitalist nation? what's with the commie controlling, everyone must be the same, all shall be fair, forget the grand final all teams are equal premiers
Brother Iv been saying this for like one year now. It's a total Joke.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
A lot of the devil will be in the detail.

What costs will be included? Excluded?

Whilst Sydney Clubs will have higher costs for some things (admin staff wages etc), other Clubs, like say the Warriors face huge transport costs as they have fly internationally every second weekend.

Marto

Waterboy
Gilded
Reaction score
A lot of the devil will be in the detail.

What costs will be included? Excluded?

Whilst Sydney Clubs will have higher costs for some things (admin staff wages etc), other Clubs, like say the Warriors face huge transport costs as they have fly internationally every second weekend.
I agree. And if all clubs have an equal cap, wont struggling clubs be well and truly behind the eight ball from the beginning?

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
I like this idea with the extra cash they will have I can get a job with the Bulldogs and they can pay me for just being at games love it .

Status
Not open for further replies.