NRL star Marty Tapau’s uncle drowned trying to save strangers at popular Sydney beach

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We've got to change the way we educate people on the dangers of waterways especially Rips. I know people talk about it, however it's not properly demonstrated first hand without googling or youtubing it. I suppose if people listen and observe the beach rules by swimming where patrolled, then we'd have saved more lives.
I just checked to see if my understanding of dealing with rips was actually correct, and I confirmed it was. It’s actually very simple. Main thing is to keep calm, but also try to go parallel to the beach. Many problems probably happen because people are fighting against the rip. That just saps your energy and makes drowning more likely.

I’m not a great swimmer and was actually frightened of water when I was a kid. My sister saved me from drowning when I was under 5 yo which didn’t help with fear of water. It was only in high school when I was forced to do swimming lessons. I say forced, but I’m not sure if that was actually the case, but I vaguely remember not having much say in it. Anyway, I’m very thankful, because I learnt CPR and how to swim obviously. Ever since I’ve been in plenty of scary situations in the water, but that training has given me confidence and I’ve never felt close to drowning.

In Australia we’re generally thought to have good water sense, but the spate of drownings say otherwise. Are swimming lessons compulsory in schools? Like I said, I hated the anxiety I felt going to those, but it has probably saved my life on a few occasions, so I think it’s crucial.

Regardless of all that, this is a very sad and tragic situation. Sadly all too common as others have mentioned.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That's unfortunate, so sad when people who are trying to do good for others, pay the ultimate price. Condolences to the Taupau family . . . R.I.P.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I almost drowned in a rip. Was swimming on the edge of a cliff and the tide going back out started to drag me out, when I realized what was happening I started to fight against the current and swallowed water. Once you swallow salt water your fucked, you choke and it makes it harder to breathe. Luckily my feet was able to grip onto the rocks and I managed to get back to safety. Lasted for a couple of seconds but it was a frightening experience.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in my 40's and have only recently learned how to read where rips are. I'm a strong swimmer and knew what to do when caught in one. But never knew till recently that flat looking water between sections of white water were rips. Most people who don't know would be inclined to try swimming into the flat looking section.

Rip to uncle Taupau.

They seem to teach it at school and swimming classes but I feel the life savers should be running quick crash courses at the beach to re-educate the public every couple of hours.

It might be abit like the safety demonstration on aircraft, but if they keep re-inforce this knowledge, it will eventually drum into the minds of the public.

Last edited:

Weak Gutted Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People need to just float out. Never battle it.
Take something that floats and throw it out.
Eventually you will be pushed back to shore.
Panic is the killer not the ocean.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They seem to teach it at school and swimming classes but I feel the life savers should be running quick crash courses at the beach to re-educate the public every couple of hours.

It might be abit like the safety demonstration on aircraft, but if they keep re-inforce this knowledge, it will eventually drum into the minds of the public.
Lifeguards spend a huge part of each shift trying to get people to swim in safe areas. I think Aussie's know about the flags being the safe area well enough. I'd be encouraging airlines hotels etc to be distributing knowledge more if I worked in lifeguarding On our beaches.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Lifeguards spend a huge part of each shift trying to get people to swim in safe areas. I think Aussie's know about the flags being the safe area well enough. I'd be encouraging airlines hotels etc to be distributing knowledge more if I worked in lifeguarding On our beaches.
A couple of the airlines used to show an information video during descent into Sydney that said to swim in the flags etc but I haven’t seen it for a while

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
People need to know their limitations, especially if from other countries. When you see people swimming in big baggy shirts and other clothes it’s even worse

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People need to know their limitations, especially if from other countries. When you see people swimming in big baggy shirts and other clothes it’s even worse

You can always do what I do.....if I cant touch the bottom with my feet, I dont go in.

I've had some near miss experiences in my lifetime to understand my limitations and prevention is the best firm of mitigation -in my view.

Not sure about others, but for some reason (which doctors haven't seemed to have found) I cramp up really easily in water. It doesn't take much for me to exert force under water to trigger a cramp and as a result of this, I don't go in if I can't touch the bottom. Nearly gave up on life once when I was 16 years old at Rose Bay. Never again.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
You can always do what I do.....if I cant touch the bottom with my feet, I dont go in.

I've had some near miss experiences in my lifetime to understand my limitations and prevention is the best firm of mitigation -in my view.

Not sure about others, but for some reason (which doctors haven't seemed to have found) I cramp up really easily in water. It doesn't take much for me to exert force under water to trigger a cramp and as a result of this, I don't go in if I can't touch the bottom. Nearly gave up on life once when I was 16 years old at Rose Bay. Never again.
Maybe the temperature change or dehydration but that’s definitely good you don’t risk it and know your limitations