News NRL spring clean: Eels star Ryan Matterson among players who could be on move

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Edwards is good value in the salary cap if you have a 6, 7 and 9 like the Panthers do. He isn't a top fullback tho. Most of the best players in the game are fullbacks. For me fullback is the 3rd most important position and there's no way it's 4th.
In my opinion, for most teams outside the top 6 in this modern game, fullback is one of 2 most important positions next to hooker.

When you get to the top 6, it probably drops to 3rd as you need a very good half to be a premiership contender.

This isnt a blanket rule however. For example... Roosters, Souths and Manly the fullback is the most influential and best player. They have good halves but the fullback is a standout.

The fact that NSW origin team has 3 fullbacks and 1 or 2 others in consideration for the other back positions (Gutho, Papenhuyzen) pretty much tells you everything.

longy0303

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Be happy to swap brooks for Thompson. Thompson is a prime candidate for suspension, we could take matterson and brooks and let go of Thompson and Flanagan. Brooks was halfback of the year a couple of years ago. Me thinks he just needs a refresh and with Trent Barrett coaching him and our new five eight coming it would be a balanced side. I think we just need to work on a hooker for the following year.

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be happy to swap brooks for Thompson. Thompson is a prime candidate for suspension, we could take matterson and brooks and let go of Thompson and Flanagan. Brooks was halfback of the year a couple of years ago. Me thinks he just needs a refresh and with Trent Barrett coaching him and our new five eight coming it would be a balanced side. I think we just need to work on a hooker for the following year.
Shakes head

red-dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Fuck I hope this is true...not the Brooks shit, the Flanno and Allen bit. Matterson is meh. Dont care either way. Would cap off a great roster overhaul.
I'll admit I was hopefully when we signed both of them. I do remember being worried about Flanagan cause you don't get dropped from the Roosters for no reason. I knew he wouldn't come and set the world alight but damn I didn't think he would be this bad.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I'll admit I was hopefully when we signed both of them. I do remember being worried about Flanagan cause you don't get dropped from the Roosters for no reason. I knew he wouldn't come and set the world alight but damn I didn't think he would be this bad.
The Chooks do get it wrong;

Exhibit A = RTS
Exhibit B = Silva (thank you Chooks for the one and only Rocket)
Exhibit C = Hannant (we should always be grateful that the stupid Chooks cut Ben in 2005 after 8 games)
Exhibit D = SPerrett (another, thank you Chooks)
Exhibit E = Dunn, (thank you Chooks, a vital ingredient for our 1988 Premiership)
Exhibit F = Maloney (handing the Sharks the missing ingredient for their first ever Premiership)
Others = The Sorenson Bros, Faamausili, Takairangi, Tetevano etc etc

Always a Bulldog

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Corey Allan must stay. He is our long term fullback. He is Ken Fam. Namaste

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Don't really mind this. Thompson is a good player but no where near 850k.... Could look something like this?

1 Dufty
2 Cotric
3 Naden
4 Schoupp
5 JAC
6 Burton
7 Brooks
8 Hetherington
9 Cook/BBO
10 Vaughan
11 TPJ
12 RFM
13 Asiata

14 Avo
15 Jacko
16 Patolo
17 Topine

From the area

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like a load of garbage to me...:kissing:
Don't really mind this. Thompson is a good player but no where near 850k.... Could look something like this?

1 Dufty
2 Cotric
3 Naden
4 Schoupp
5 JAC
6 Burton
7 Brooks
8 Hetherington
9 Cook/BBO
10 Vaughan
11 TPJ
12 RFM
13 Asiata

14 Avo
15 Jacko
16 Patolo
17 Topine
Topine and Averillo make that bench so weak and ineffective.

From the area

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
what are you on about? they are the future of the club
Yeah that may be true but why have both on the bench? You’re gonna bring on Topine to do the damage if TPJ or Hetherington or someone like that? Please don’t tell me he plays HOOKER either cause his service is as shit as fuck. Averillo can be a good 14 but you cannot have both. It’s ridiculous. We will get steam rolled when we make the subs.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Was wondering how this is bulldogs discussion, but of course its a recruit him thread.

Good player but see this 20 foot barge pole I have here? Im not touching him with it.

Hes a headache away from retirement.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You do! He is living proof LOL. 9 seasons later and he is still yet to play a single finals game :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
You do realise rugby league is a team sport yeah?
He is not a tennis player.

he would be a massive upgrade on what we have had since kimmorely

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Chooks do get it wrong;

Exhibit A = RTS
Exhibit B = Silva (thank you Chooks for the one and only Rocket)
Exhibit C = Hannant (we should always be grateful that the stupid Chooks cut Ben in 2005 after 8 games)
Exhibit D = SPerrett (another, thank you Chooks)
Exhibit E = Dunn, (thank you Chooks, a vital ingredient for our 1988 Premiership)
Exhibit F = Maloney (handing the Sharks the missing ingredient for their first ever Premiership)
Others = The Sorenson Bros, Faamausili, Takairangi, Tetevano etc etc

Always a Bulldog
So does this explain that they have won 4 premierships in the last 20 years?