NRL Salary cap change works for Ennis

Status
Not open for further replies.

MR SS

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Canterbury captain Michael Ennis has renewed hope of seeing out his career at the Bulldogs, after the NRL announced an increase in the salary cap for veteran players.

The allowance will jump by up to 50 per cent on a sliding scale over the next two years, and will now apply to players serving six seasons with a club – as opposed to the previous mark of eight.

Ennis shapes as potentially the biggest winner from the changes, given 2014 is his sixth year in blue and white and he’s so far held off on inking a new deal.

Canterbury have signed boom Cronulla hooker Michael Lichaa, placing Ennis’ future under a cloud.

The 30-year-old rake wants a three-to-four year contract knowing that it could be his last and reports have speculated that the Sharks are sweating on Ennis as their replacement for Lichaa.

However, when asked on Thursday if he was confident of staying at Belmore, Ennis said: “Oh yeah”, before praising the NRL for making it easier for experienced players to remain loyal.

“Credit to the NRL to try and look after players who have served the game for long periods of time,” Ennis said.

“It’s a positive step and good to see the people in control trying to take the game further and improve it.

“Oh yeah (I’m confident). I’ll let my manager look after that situation and I’ll continue to keep playing footy.”

The allowance increase will be on a sliding scale, with a maximum of $250,000 per club in 2015 and $300,000 in 2016.

The changes were seemingly too late for Manly and Glenn Stewart, with the 12-season Sea Eagle last month signing a new deal with South Sydney because there was no room for him at Brookvale.

Canterbury lock Greg Eastwood said players had welcomed the changes as a chance to keep skipper Ennis at the Bulldogs.

“Especially for our captain Mick, not having that money to keep him at the club. He’s our captain and our leader and he’s shown that every week since he’s been here. If we can keep him here with that bit of extra cash it’s important for the NRL,” he said.

Ennis has said previously that with Lichaa coming on board, he would have to talk to Bulldogs coach Des Hasler about what his role in the team would likely be.

The competitive No.9 has indicated he isn’t quite ready to relinquish a starting berth and still sees himself as an 80-minute player.

In fact Ennis still hopes to be on Laurie Daley’s radar for a NSW State of Origin recall this year should incumbent Robbie Farah continue to battle injury problems.

“I’m not sure what the situation is there but I’ll continue to try and be consistent here,” he said.

Read more: http://www.sportsnews.com.au/nrl/nrl-salary-cap-change-works-for-ennis/110227#ixzz315TmJ6t6

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Hopefully we keep him!

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
We better not lose Lichaa.

FreshSoulL

Faith
Reaction score
Captain Ennis, he's a hero, going to take St George down to Zero, he's our powers magnified and he's fighting on the Bulldogs side ! ;)

Ndawai

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Captain Ennis, he's a hero, going to take St George down to Zero, he's our powers magnified and he's fighting on the Bulldogs side
haha nice Capt Planet reference!! repped!

errr I gotta spread the love more-ran outta thumbs

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
we passed up the advantage of the veteren allowance with andrew ryan, hopefully we take it here with ennis

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Fingers crossed it all works out..he's got plenty of Bulldog Blue and White footy left in him!!

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I am happy about this if we do not lose Lichaa

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I dont see how this helps in any way. He wants a long term deal....this will not help him get one.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
I dont see how this helps in any way. He wants a long term deal....this will not help him get one.
maybe it helps a long term deal because the cap hit is less, although saying that morris has been around for as long we could use it for him just as much

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
maybe it helps a long term deal because the cap hit is less, although saying that morris has been around for as long we could use it for him just as much
The club will make the best decision i guess.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am happy about this if we do not lose Lichaa
agree, all things considered I see Ennis being the starting Hooker next year with Lichaa on the bench.. When Ennis would relinquish the starting role that is another question. He is also too small to be used in the second row and does not have the creativity to play in the halves. Do we have any other players that would qualify for the six year service? and is it six years as part of the fulltime squad or 6 years in the club?

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Exactly, money isn't the problem, I really don't think he is in the clubs plans for any longer than 2 years. We don't have a utility/hooker on the bench now and I can't see des wanting to have one there for 3 or 4 years. Also don't see lichaa coming to play NSW cup

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Whether or not there's a reduction for long serving players doesn't mean he gets a deal!!! Money was prolly not an issue but more the length of the deal he wants!!! I love the bloke but 3-4 years? Noooo and defiantly don't want to lose liccha either!! Tough situation I'm glad I'm not the one who says yay or nay!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.