NRL Salary Cap Auditor investigating Cameron Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/sa...meron-smith-testimonials-20180901-p5017v.html

The NRL’s investigation into third-party deals at Cronulla has dominated the game this week, but there is another situation causing concern in club land: Cameron Smith’s testimonials.

We revealed a few weeks back that Smith was having a testimonial lunch to celebrate his great career and lucky fans could fork out a couple of hundred bucks to watch him be praised.

We asked if it was for charity – hoping it was – but received no response from the club, so we can only assume it’s not.

This is not Smith’s final year in the NRL. He has confirmed he will go around again next year.
Now we can reveal the NRL salary cap auditor is taking a keen interest in Smith’s various testimonials. In February, he played in a match with Johnathan Thurston, who is retiring.

It seems former NRL chief executive Dave Smith agreed to Smith getting a testimonial match and two tribute lunches before he retires. Smith’s agent has been telling clubs there are no limits on his lunches and other fundraisers. Clearly he is telling stories to rile other clubs.

When rival clubs become aware of this special dispensation for Smith, they will be annoyed. Especially those teams that have applied for testimonials for their players and been knocked back.

Since our item about Smith’s lunch, other clubs have expressed concern that this could be a way to get around the salary cap by ensuring Smith gets money outside his contract. Clubs have a huge distrust of the Storm.

We can reveal the NRL’s salary cap auditors are on the case and have already negotiated to have one of the lunches removed from the agreement. They have also told the Storm they have the power to include any funds raised from the events in the club’s salary cap if they believe Smith is being offered a lower contract than he deserves.

In other words, if the Storm have reduced Smith’s contract by, say, $100,000 because he has already secured that amount from his testimonial events, the NRL can still add the $100,000 into the Storm’s salary cap. It’s a clear sign the NRL is angered by the deal Dave Smith did for Cam Smith.

Club bosses we have talked to are delighted the NRL is investigating the matter.

Smith announced this week that he will play again next season, which is excellent news for the Storm as he is a great of the game. But the grab for testimonial dollars says a lot about his character.

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would just like to fix the first sentence of the article....
The bulldogs party has dominated the game this week, not salary cap cheating by sharks, eels or cam smith.

Last edited:

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sneaky storm.....always scheming.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Apparently him and Thurston banked $100k each somehow on that wankfest game at the start of the season yet smith isn’t even retiring? Wtf

Malla

Reaction score
I think the root cause of the issue is the way they were handles back when Storm was first caught for rorting the cap back in 2010 (I think). Players were allowed to walk away untouched even though they knew they were cheating the cap. Then you had Storm who were still able to be in a position where they could structure their team around Slater, Cronk and Smith - they should never have been allowed to have a choice as they were able to keep those players for so long by systematically breaching the cap. Anyway, nothing will happen. I just can't wait for him to retire and fuck off - the cock fest over his retirement will be tough to watch tho.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
How can a player have a salary cap?
Isn’t it a team cap?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
What really blows my mind is who wrote this article..

Sitting down everyone?

Danny Wiedler!!! AND ... he's staying largely out of the whole Bulldogs saga!!!.

How can a player have a salary cap?
Isn’t it a team cap?
From my understanding they've held events and asked patrons to attend, on the proviso that Cameron Smith will be there.

So say everyone pays $100.

That money has ended up in Cameron Smiths pocket without being declared in his contract/the cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.