1. Be cool and Register to set your username and display picture get the full features of the site. Talk Bulldogs NRL News, match reviews, live score, ladder, injuries, player signings and team performance.

Official NRL reverts back to 1 ref for the rest of the season

Discussion in 'Rugby League General' started by Freakzilla, May 8, 2020.

1. Novdoggie

Novdoggie Kennel Enthusiast

Now they know what its like to be put in the bin

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. GoTheDoggies

GoTheDoggies Kennel Immortal

Easy to script a fairytale send off for Smith. Storm win the comp and he retires. He will control the 1 ref with ease.

3. KambahOne

KambahOne Kennel Regular

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05...th-single-referee-system-coronavirus/12278712

The fact the reversion back to one ref is now being considered a "trial" and will be reviewed at years end puts a hell of a lot of emphasis on that review.

If the game bogs down and it's decided at years end to revert back to two refs, than this season has a massive * next it as it'll be referred to as the trial premiership. Even if we win it I'll only consider it a 2.5 peat.

But seriously, the decision of that review now holds massive emphasis on how this season is remembered. Alternatively, if the one ref is retained ongoing than no * as far as I'm concerned.

4. SPEARTAKVIDREFS

SPEARTAKVIDREFS Kennel Regular

In 20 years time, this seasons victory will remain a victory on the score board. No-one will care how it was won. No-one will care this this year was a right off.
    Im all for 1 ref.
    In saying that with all this mess with the refs, I think this has actually turned out for the best. If 1 ref fails, they can revert with complete consultation next year.
    Win win I think.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. KambahOne

KambahOne Kennel Regular

Many still refer to 1997 as the "split year" premiership. I think a lot of how it will be remembered will rely on the decision by the review.

Like you said though, the 1 ref decision could turn out to be a massive win for the game.