NRL rejects Inglis' deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
NRL blocks Greg Inglis-South Sydney deal, Rabbitohs say they're disappointed, star remains in league limbo

AAP December 18, 2010 1:51PM

Greg Inglis's future in the NRL remains up in the air after the NRL blocked his proposed move to South Sydney on Saturday.

The NRL advised the Rabbitohs that it must include the full value of a number of third-party agreements relating to the Queensland Origin star's $400,000-per-year deal.

Inglis, who reneged on a deal to sign with the Brisbane Broncos when third party deals failed to materialise, will now continue to remain in rugby league limbo as he is without a club for 2011.

In a statement released on Saturday, the NRL explained that the rules are in place to "ensure that any third-party agreement is not in truth a vehicle to remunerate the player for playing rugby league at his club".

"Given the circumstances under which Greg Inglis became available to South Sydney, nobody can have been under any doubt about the importance of ensuring his contract complied with the cap," NRL chief executive David Gallop said.

"The NRL had already required the Broncos to include third-party agreements within their calculation of the contract value and was insisting legal fees also be included when those negotiations ceased.

"South Sydney had been advised to have all proposed offers reviewed by the NRL before making any commitments.

"They chose not to do so and it has taken some time to access all details of the agreements.

"It is unfortunate for Greg that he is in the middle of a difficult situation and I assured him this week that these issues do not reflect on him but that they are matters for clubs in assessing the offers that they make.

"He is one of the games most highly-valued players and we have assured him of that in no uncertain terms.

"That said the cap has to apply fairly to all clubs and one club cannot be allowed to do what others were prevented from doing.

"The rules on third-party deals are clear.

"We have worked with clubs and players by substantially increasing the amount that sponsors can pay players through the $300,000 marquee player allowance in 2011 but without rules on third party agreements there would be no point in having a salary cap system."

South Sydney admitted they were "disappointed" and disagree with the decision, and will assess the situation this week with NRL salary cap auditor Ian Schubert.

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
Great work NRL.

Now another star looking likely to leave our code.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
What's the alternative? Allow Rusty Crowe to use his connections and cheque book to circumnavigate the salary cap.

I mentioned the other day about Champion being released to potentially afford Inglis. I'm now even more confident this will become the case.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Great work NRL.

Now another star looking likely to leave our code.
Ahhh that's BS ........ blame falls squarely on managers and clubs !

They knew the rules.
Tried to bend them.
Got caught out.
Inglis in limbo.

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
lol karma's a b*tch ain't it Greg? Rusty will probably find a loop or if all else fails like everyone thought at first, shed some players.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Prepare the kneepads .. someones going to need to get dirty knees to get out of this one!

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
sucken in inglis and bigger sucked in souths, maybe inglis could be a boxing sensation like his mate mundine and fight nobodies

Costaki10

Bulldogs Army
Reaction score
i dont agree with most things involving the salary cap but the rules are there so follow them so things like this dont happen.

btw suck **** souths

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
As much as I hate souths... the NRL have once again shown why we are way behind afl... to have 3rd parties included in the cap is a joke

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
So defs won't be a rabbitoh?

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So defs won't be a rabbitoh?
Me thinks Richo and Rusty were sure it would go through under this current deal - but that was a fail. I reckon they will now have to negotiate releases if they are to get him onboard.

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
As much as I hate souths... the NRL have once again shown why we are way behind afl... to have 3rd parties included in the cap is a joke
Ozman, they weren't genuine 3rd party deals according to the NRL. Hence the problem.

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah only the shady BS third party deals are included, we all saw this coming.

BDGS

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
NRL = NFI

Good thing the on-field rugby league product is soo good otherwise there wouldn't be a professional Rugby League competition in Australia.

Interesting to see BunnyJnr views on this.

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
Shouldnt he have enough from Melbourne to be able to play for minimum wage?

What are the estuaries like in France?

S

Shermy

NRL believes we had had under the table dealings to link up people with Inglis as 3rd party sponsors. It is a joke. There is a queue of people lining up wanting to be Inglis side kick. Souths won't release a player or players until they have exhausted every avenue in regards to the 3rd party deals.

5 players have been approached to budge - 2 have said "**** off".

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
To the people blaming the NRL, please explain? I was under the impression that we didn't want shady deals happening behind closed doors, especially after what happened this year. Or are you suggesting the NRL has it in for Souths and that the deals were perfectly legitimate?

Status
Not open for further replies.