NRL Refuse to register Turner's Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCB-BD

CBBD FTW!
Reaction score
Well the Titans win the battle, now its onto the war, we are headed to the courts late October on this issue for sure... ;)

Source:http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/200608/s1720207.htm

NRL backs Titans over Turner tug-of-war

Melbourne winger Steve Turner could face a season on the sidelines after the National Rugby League (NRL) today refused to register his new contract with the Storm.

The 21-year-old is at the centre of a contract tug-of-war after he re-signed with the Storm for three seasons, despite agreeing to terms with new NRL franchise, the Gold Coast Titans, last June.

Turner claimed he had verbally agreed to join the Titans but had not signed a formal contract with the club.

NRL chief executive David Gallop said Turner must play with the Gold Coast in 2007 or sit out the season.

"I would hope that's not the case but certainly we would like to see him playing and playing at the Titans," he said.

Mr Gallop said Turner had given the Titans every reason to believe he would be joining the club in 2007.

"The player (Turner) even went on television and radio and announced he would be playing for the Titans," he said. "The player's manager even stated he's steadfast in the belief that there was an agreement reached."

Ming

Waterboy
Reaction score
As much as I'm happy for the Titans winning Steve Turner - I feel kinda sorry for him.
It seemed like his heart was set on playing for the Melb Storm.
Oh well.. good on the Titans for recruiting him ^^. It'll be a hell of a season next year when they enter the competition. :D

Bek

JC is my homeboy
Reaction score
if turner dosent want to play for them and wants to stay with the storm they should let him. if he dosent want to be there his heart wount be in the game when he plays and he wount play as well as he can

'G'

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How awkward will it be for him if he is forced to play for the Titans. The Titans supporters probably wont want him to play for them after this.

Bek

JC is my homeboy
Reaction score
^^ thats exactly right! why make a player play for you when they don't want to! it'd be very bad for the club if they kept him against his wishs. i guess he could do wht jamie lyon did and go to england to play

Christabella

Reaction score
Based on what I saw at the Storm function yesterday I think a lot of it has to do with his girlfriend not wanting to move moreso than Steve himself.

roc-a-fella

Not impressed..
Reaction score
didnt elford back out of his souths contract at the end of last season to stay at the tigers? i know he aint at souths cos he got owned by gasnier yesterday :D

Bek

JC is my homeboy
Reaction score
Elford asked souths if he could stay at the tigers cause of a few reasons one being he didn't want to leave his friends. souths agreed and it was good that they did. i think that the titans should do the same.. they have enough fairly good players to do good

Bek

JC is my homeboy
Reaction score
Christabella said:
Based on what I saw at the Storm function yesterday I think a lot of it has to do with his girlfriend not wanting to move moreso than Steve himself.
you got that from just seeing him?? not talking to them or anything

Christabella

Reaction score
Mention the drama to Steve and he'll shrug his shoulders and joke about it - thats what he did on Saturday. Given that he packed up and moved to Melbourne as a teenager I don't think the move to the Gold Coast would trouble him especially since seemed rather keen on the idea of playing fullback regularly when he first agreed to terms with the Titans.

I'm just basing the above comment on the interaction of his girl with the other ladies yesterday.

Bek

JC is my homeboy
Reaction score
i dont think imo that its concrete evidence that its her not him.

Brissy Bulldog

Proud to be a Bulldog
Reaction score
The Storm will win out in the Courts. The NRL and the Titans are in for a beating.

If Turner had a career ending injury last week, would they be in such a hurry to have him ?. I think not. They would be the ones saying "there is nothing in writing.".

SXFEST

Milad Youssef
Reaction score
Maybe the NRL or David Gallop is only saying this for future, when players want to pull out of their contracts. You wouldnt wanna see a player on a deal and leave because he wants to and really he probaly just got offerred a better contract.

Bek

JC is my homeboy
Reaction score
i dont think storm would have offered him that much more then the titans did. the nrl should hurry up and fix this issue so it dosent screw up turners game. he'll have a lot on his mind because of it

yadav

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Brissy Bulldog said:
The Storm will win out in the Courts. The NRL and the Titans are in for a beating.

If Turner had a career ending injury last week, would they be in such a hurry to have him ?. I think not. They would be the ones saying "there is nothing in writing.".
How will they. Turner verbally agreed to join the titans didnt he. Verbal agreements can and have held up in courts before. Why else would Gallop side with the Titans.
Didnt turner publicly announce his intention to go there..?? this will not work in his favour. The titans should stick to their guns you cannot have players agree to join(an agreement is an agreement, signed or not) then just change their minds whats the point of the whole process then. word on the street is that the storm offered him an extra 100k over 3 years

wyongguy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think the titans and the nrl should fight to get him at the gold coast, otherwise contracts won't beworth anything, players will be dipping out of them once a better offer comes along.

Bek

JC is my homeboy
Reaction score
The titans are going to fight! they want he bad. IF brian kearny ends up going back to England then they'll really need him on the wing

Status
Not open for further replies.