NRL rebellion: Rugby league clubs want CEO Dave Smith gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
JAMES HOOPER The Sunday Telegraph

SOME of the most powerful figures in rugby league have floated the idea of a breakaway 12-team competition in a bid to oust NRL CEO Dave Smith.

Last week’s TV negotiations, which saw Fox Sports and Telstra cut out of the deal, is the latest in a growing list of frustrations they have with Mr Smith and Australian Rugby League Commission Chairman John Grant.

The new competition would be made up by the 12 clubs, whose NRL participation agreements end at the conclusion of the 2017 season.

Of those 12, four are leading the rebel league discussions with the goal of getting Mr Smith and Mr Grant torpedoed out of office.

Under the radical proposal the four clubs currently being propped up by the NRL – Wests Tigers, St *George Illawarra, Newcastle and Gold Coast – would be left out of the new competition.

The push has been discussed among some of the most influential figures in rugby league who remain furious at a range of NRL decisions, including cutting key stakeholders Fox Sports and Telstra out of the TV negotiations.

Their anger was intensified after News Corp and the Seven Network partnered to give the AFL a record $2.5 billion television deal.

The inconsistencies from the NRL match review committee and the judiciary in *relation to the shoulder charges are also a key concern of the powerbrokers, as well as the multi-million dollar blow-out of executive salaries and the number of staff employed since Smith was appointed at the start of 2013.

An email sent last week *detailing how the 12-team breakaway competition would be structured, with the prospect of additional teams being added in Brisbane and Perth to make a 14-team competition.

In order for the NRL clubs to pass a vote of no-confidence in the ARL Commission they need a 75 per cent vote from the 16 existing clubs. The breakaway scenario *remains highly unlikely but *illustrates the current level of discontent with the NRL head office.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't believe this for a second.

It's just Rupert Murdoch getting his so called journalists to try & disable League, seeing as he is now involved in AFL.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Listening to Sunday footy show there may be more to come of this.

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
I don't believe this for a second.

It's just Rupert Murdoch getting his so called journalists to try & disable League, seeing as he is now involved in AFL.
What you mean you don't believe it. this has been going on from the preseason. its very real.

DOGGIESSTYLE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't believe a word of any Murdoch paid journalist. Not a word. They have been told to write negative stories about Smith and co because the NRL CEO told Murdoch and Fox to 'pay up' for the NRL rights because they have been abusing their most popular Pay TV program for too long.

DOGGIESSTYLE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new tv deal in terms of giving back to the fans is the best we have had for awhile, the only thing i have disliked is the ridiculous rule changing going on throughout the season

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
Don't believe a word of any Murdoch paid journalist. Not a word. They have been told to write negative stories about Smith and co because the NRL CEO told Murdoch and Fox to 'pay up' for the NRL rights because they have been abusing their most popular Pay TV program for too long.
So what did he do? sold the rights to 9 for 925mill. with only 4 games left to sell. how much you think he is going to get for them games? they are all the shit time slotted ones to. its not just about this tv rights deal, no one is happy with the way the game is heading under him and Greenberg. smith has been in the job for 30months and has made 36 rule changes.

DOGGIESSTYLE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what did he do? sold the rights to 9 for 925mill. with only 4 games left to sell. how much you think he is going to get for them games? they are all the shit time slotted ones to. its not just about this tv rights deal, no one is happy with the way the game is heading under him and Greenberg. smith has been in the job for 30months and has made 36 rule changes.
Fox sports will have no choice but to pay up they would lose a huge amount of viewership if they lost nrl games .. also i think state of origin and international games are also being sold of separately

Like i posted above i agree the rule chances mid season have been ridiculous and have ruined the game somewhat however i'm happy with the tv deal .. if you can piss of Murdoch you must be doing something right

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Did they give any more details?
No, nothing really new. I only caught the tail end of it; they were talking to some journo who said there were more stories to come. The story was just the already reported rumours of a breakaway competition and the fact that the clubs are very disgruntled at the income split and other things within the NRL. Sounds like an attempt at Super League 2, but look at how the first one turned out.

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
Fox sports will have no choice but to pay up they would lose a huge amount of viewership if they lost nrl games .. also i think state of origin and international games are also being sold of separately

Like i posted above i agree the rule chances mid season have been ridiculous and have ruined the game somewhat however i'm happy with the tv deal .. if you can piss of Murdoch you must be doing something right
what part of the tv deal you happy with? you think fox or anyone else is going to pay 1.6 for 4 games? no chance in hell.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
what part of the tv deal you happy with? you think fox or anyone else is going to pay 1.6 for 4 games? no chance in hell.
Isn't SOO and Internationals also still up for grabs?

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
Isn't SOO and Internationals also still up for grabs?
That's a good question, im not sure about that. but lets say they are still up for grabs, I still see us falling behind the mark by far.

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
Lol they ****ed fox sports with the new deal

Only thing would be for fox sports to broadcast all 8 games live in HD

Other then that they should lowball the NRL and completely **** them like they have ****ed them

100 mil over 5 years that would destroy the NRL because no one else will pay more

Time will tell with this but don't think news corp and Telstra will forget how the NRL changed the rules

chrise186

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Lol they ****ed fox sports with the new deal

Only thing would be for fox sports to broadcast all 8 games live in HD

Other then that they should lowball the NRL and completely **** them like they have ****ed them

100 mil over 5 years that would destroy the NRL because no one else will pay more

Time will tell with this but don't think news corp and Telstra will forget how the NRL changed the rules
Does the afl not have 3 or 4 games on normal tv and foxtel pay for all games simulcast?
Fox will pay

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Dave smith ****ed up big time not even giving news corp/telstra etc the opportunity to negotiate thats why murdoch is pissed off ,if he was afforded an opportunity but was outbidded he'd be cool but it was disrespectful and dumb negotiating for the nrl to do what they did ,talk about piss off the wrong man ,if he wants to **** them he could start a rebel league and offer ever club $20 mill a year and put all games on fox ,just another dumb move from smith

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus Gould's Twitter feed is hilarious on this.

Rebecca "I only drive sober if I absolutely have to" Wilson reports that Fox were never consulted before the TV deal signed. Gould points out a few dozen meetings before the final deal with Nine. She also reports on all the clubs threatening mutiny. Boss of the Panthers (allegedly one of the clubs wanting the break) states no such plans at all.

Who do you believe? Someone with no reason to make this crap up or a repeated liar who's on the Murdoch payroll?

Status
Not open for further replies.