News NRL probes Gus over spray

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The one and only Phil “Augustus” Gould has long been feared and loathed as one of the biggest figures in rugby league.

Often polarising because of his strong opinion, Augustus launched an all-time tirade on Channel Nine on Monday night branding the entire game “stupid”.

The both-barrels spray sent powerful figures in the game into meltdown because of Gould’s dual positions as Canterbury-Bankstown kingpin and Channel Nine commentator.

NRL is currently analysing the comments with a fine tooth comb and is expected to hit Gould with a breach notice and a heavy fine.

Why? For breaching the game’s code of conduct.

In a straight off the hip with a Smith and Wesson spray, Gould said: “Our game’s so stupid. You can lose the ball over the line and it costs you 20m and seven tackles. Why?

“I don’t know because it’s stupid. But I can just take a line drop out and it goes out on the full no consequence.

“It’s nothing at all – what sort of stupid game is this? Who sits and makes up these rules?

“Api Koroisau try what the hell was that – what the hell was that?

The stupefying spray led to a number of people bringing the hot take to the attention of the NRL with the powers that be now poring over it.

The NRL rules clearly stipulate club officials, coaches and players are not permitted to engage in public commentary that is damaging to the game.

We’d love to hear the Augustus’s response when the breach notice lands.

It’s not the first time head office has been pushed by influential figures in the game to sanction Gould over his public commentary.

The grey area is because he’s also the kingpin of Canterbury-Bankstown.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gould is right though...
He raises a very good point.

In fact I'll go one better and say that unless you've kicked the ball, there should be no 7 tackle restart.

Why should you be penalised for knocking-on in the in-goal while in the process of scoring?

KLil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Gould is right though...
He raises a very good point.

In fact I'll go one better and say that unless you've kicked the ball, there should be no 7 tackle restart.

Why should you be penalised for knocking-on in the in-goal while in the process of scoring?
In all honesty you should never get penalised for an attacking kick full stop. The rule was brought in because players like Soward would kick it dead from 50m out to nullify the great kick returners. Call it a defensive kick....

Should be if you kick it the red zone you shouldnt cop the 7 tackle set... To think that stupid rule brought in the die with the ball on the last 1m out ffs.

As Gus said WHO COMES U WITH THIS SHIT!

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the good old days (before Chanel Nine got their claws into it) a knock-on was when the ball bounced off the player's hands or arm and went forward and touched the ground, none of this ping-pong of other players etc, if it touched the ground it was a knock on and that was it, if you managed to retain the ball before it hit the deck, good for you, play on.
By any common-sense standard, Api Koroisau scored a fair try!

alwaysthesun

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think if he didn't call it stupid this wouldn't be a story.. and he also doubled down on it on his podcast... other than that, in regards to the 7 tackle stuff he is spot on

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
In the good old days (before Chanel Nine got their claws into it) a knock-on was when the ball bounced off the player's hands or arm and went forward and touched the ground, none of this ping-pong of other players etc, if it touched the ground it was a knock on and that was it, if you managed to retain the ball before it hit the deck, good for you, play on.
By any common-sense standard, Api Koroisau scored a fair try!
Should be more like that, the less pedantic the better, even the smallest bobbles but maintaining possession are being called, it's sad and against the spirit of the game. Just fix flaws, minor details if needed. Same with penalties, give warnings and/or tell em to replay the ball, back to the mark, etc.

And stop changing major rules, if teams want to rely on their kicking game ie Soward, teams will work around it. If teams want to wrestle, teams will work around it. Let teams be innovative and develop styles rather than controlling the style to be played so teams look more and more alike.
The game doesn't need much more.

Some things the NRL introduced are interesting and can be good, 20/40 like the 40/20, 2 point field goal and some minor things they recently introduced.

It's inevitable as the game gets more and more professional, we'll see more milking and fake arm locks where the pill spills mysteriously, just replay the ball. Some things are a joke, it's a circus now watching a match. I mean we always have booed a ref but now a lot isn't even the refs fault that frustrates me about the game.

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should be more like that, the less pedantic the better, even the smallest bobbles but maintaining possession are being called, it's sad and against the spirit of the game. Just fix flaws, minor details if needed. Same with penalties, give warnings and/or tell em to replay the ball, back to the mark, etc.

And stop changing major rules, if teams want to rely on their kicking game ie Soward, teams will work around it. If teams want to wrestle, teams will work around it. Let teams be innovative and develop styles rather than controlling the style to be played so teams look more and more alike.
The game doesn't need much more.

Some things the NRL introduced are interesting and can be good, 20/40 like the 40/20, 2 point field goal and some minor things they recently introduced.

It's inevitable as the game gets more and more professional, we'll see more milking and fake arm locks where the pill spills mysteriously, just replay the ball. Some things are a joke, it's a circus now watching a match. I mean we always have booed a ref but now a lot isn't even the refs fault that frustrates me about the game.
They are so desperate to "speed up the game" that they are slowing it down with needless micromanaging!

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So Buzz and his team can put shit on the NRL but Gould can't, last time i checked he is part of the nine media team, so will be interesting if it happens.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
So Buzz and his team can put shit on the NRL but Gould can't, last time i checked he is part of the nine media team, so will be interesting if it happens.
Murdoch media framing it as a conflict of interest bc he is Bulldogs GM Football as well as SMH/9 commentator.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
They may have trouble pinning much on Gould, he didn’t call anyone “stupid”, no one was singled out, no position was mentioned, no NRL official, not the ref, not the bunker he said “the game“ was stupid. Then gave examples that most people, fans, players, clubs etc agree are in fact stupid. The Api no try he simply asked the question “what was that”. Do you get sanctioned and fined for what most people would agree is the truth?

Anasta agreed with him and he‘s an accredited NRL player agent, will he get a breach notice and a fine? Very slippery slope here NRL, be careful what precedent you set.

Always a Bulldog

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
As usual Gus is two steps ahead of everyone else, best way to get something changed in the NRL? Make a little noise, Bring a little heat, then let the shit bag media make your point front and center of every rugby league related news article for a few weeks. The man is a master.