NRL Premiership Reformed gambling addict Michael Sullivan supports Ryan Tandy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sherwin_7

Shifty Sherwin
Reaction score
Former NRL glamour boy Michael Sullivan has launched a passionate defence of Canterbury-Bankstown forward Ryan Tandy over his alleged involvement in the failed penalty goal betting sting.

Sullivan - a reformed gambling addict and long-time friend of Tandy - told The Daily Telegraph: "I phoned him and asked him straight, 'Did you do it?' He said he didn't and I believe him."

Sullivan phoned his former flatmate in the wake of the suspicious betting plunge on the first scoring option of a North Queensland Cowboys penalty goal against the Bulldogs in Townsville on August 21.

Tandy has been forced to deny any wrongdoing after he coughed up possession on the first tackle and conceded the penalty in front of the goalposts.

"I spoke to him last week and then today, and I told him that I'd seen the footage and it didn't look good," revealed Sullivan, who played with Tandy at North Sydney.

"He said it was bull****.

"I can't see it happening, to be honest. Why would you do it against a team that has nothing to lose? They are hardly going to take the kick."

Sullivan's remarks come as the net begins to tighten around those responsible for the massive plunge that stood to rip a huge amount from bookmakers.

The Daily Telegraph has reported that:

The finger was being pointed squarely at a former rugby league player and a player manager who had bet heavily on a Cowboys penalty goal option; and

* Racing NSW chief steward Ray Murrihy, who is heading the investigation, has already identified several cash punters who had bet on the match.

Murrihy continued to sift through a mountain of betting information and is still awaiting crucial CCTV footage from the TAB.

"We have identified cash punters and credit punters and as CCTV footage comes in we'll be able to identify other punters at places like PubTABs," he said.

Asked if any of the punters already identified had links to the NRL, Murrihy replied: "No comment. My response is that my report will go to the NRL for them to take whatever action."

While the NRL is sweating on a swift conclusion to the investigation as the finals series approaches, Murrihy is hopeful of having all relevant evidence before him by the end of the week.

Rugby league circles were abuzz that one former player and a player agent were involved with the massive betting plunge, which didn't come off when the Cowboys took a quick tap and scored in the corner.

Several bookies told The Daily Telegraph they believed certain league identities were part of the attempted sting.

There was also speculation that the failed sting was worth $500,000 - more than double that initially reported.

Source: Fox Sports
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,27641131-5018866,00.html

Long ass article..

Status
Not open for further replies.