News NRL market watch: Cronulla Sharks agree player swap deal with Canterbury Bulldogs for Connor Tracey

Achilles

Back to Belmore
Reaction score
You have more chance of guessing the lotto numbers, than our starting team next year . . .
The kennel should run a comp on who can guess the starting side for RD 1.

I cant recall any past season with so many different options possible.

Nobody will guess the starting side, not even God or Ciraldo know the side at this moment.

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well tbh Kiraz is more of a tackle buster, so in that respect yes he is a strong runner. I was more thinking about staright hitups when returning a 5th tackle kick and Wilson is fairly good at that and will only get better as he gets stronger. Tbh I don’t envy Ciro. He has too many quality players to select for the back 5 now.
A good problem to have and I would not be surprised at all if Samrani if better than both Wilson and Kiraz in all departments with the exception of Wilsons speed.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The kennel should run a comp on who can guess the starting side for RD 1.

I cant recall any past season with so many different options possible.

Nobody will guess the starting side, not even God or Ciraldo know the side at this moment.
Me either, I'm a procrastinator, picking a team is already doing my head in. Good luck CC.
Great idea on the comp . . . Dognacious ?

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hi @Nasheed you raised some brilliant points and as usual totally ignored by the usual suspects.

1. Tracey was pursued by more than one NRL club. If he's anything other than Top 30 his deal has been seriously back ended. Didn't Gould attack Hasler recently for this and said it's why the club isn't in a good position in 2023. I know defies logic some have lapped it up. Someone within the Top 30 has to be moved on. We haven't been able to move on RFM and Sutton. The Oloapu situation appears it will go on. I still think Gould should just cut his losses and move him to Dolphins or Titans.

2. The moves to sign Tracey come soon after training has started. Are there doubts about Xerri returning to NRL in 2024? We've already had a club employee talk about Burton to centres.

3. I highlighted some stats that Tracey at 27 has played less NRL games than Averillo at 23. We let Averillo go and sign Tracey for no doubt zero doubt at all for more than what Averillo is on at Dolphins. Gould loves talking about pathways and releasing a kid we signed in January isn't a pathways or development club.

All our signings except for Crichton aren't 1-13 players at their clubs. They were all freely released.

Cronulla have identified the need to bring in a new generation. They've had an aging roster and making the changes to clear the decks for the next generation of talent and possibly make a clear path to have a shot at a big name or two.
if Cronulla didn’t have Kennedy they wouldn’t be losing Tracey.
Right now we need Tracey and not so much Gabriel especially with the depth we have at centre and the players are still young.

crighton
Xerri
Skelton
Kiraz
Samrrani

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Happy with signing, like others though spells trouble for a few fringe players. Skelton seems out of favour in backline. Then also Mann, Hutchinson, Salmon, Taafe. So many vying for wat I see as the utility role off the bench.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Anyone still sad about Averillo leaving . . . He wouldn't have got a run in this backline anyway.
Avo starts > Xerri.... and we literally just replaced Avo for a like for like replacement, while also parting ways with a promising pathways player for the privilege. If you think that's good management, you're living on space mountain lol

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Avo starts > Xerri.... and we literally just replaced Avo for a like for like replacement, while also parting ways with a promising pathways player for the privilege. If you think that's good management, you're living on space mountain lol
It is when you compare what Dolphins paid Averillo vs what we would be getting Tracey for.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If, and it is an if! Xerri comes back well. He is miles ahead of Averillo. He is also on half the money that Averillo is on.

Taaffe is a like for like replacement for Avo. Once again cheaper. Tracey is an upgrade on Avo. Not sure what dollars are on the table for him though?

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tracey is going to be our replacement for Fox
I wouldn't like to see Fox leave unless it is part of a swap deal for a decent front rower - which side would benefit from signing Fox the most? Most sides have at least 2 gun wingers already! Are there any exceptions and could they afford / have sufficient depth to release a front rower? Possibly The Eels or South Sydney? Maybe Newcastle or Canberra!
A few options, Daniel Suluka-Fifita, Wiremu Greig, Mat Croker or Ata Mariota

Last edited:

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
It is when you compare what Dolphins paid Averillo vs what we would be getting Tracey for.
What's the point on freeing up cap space if we are just going to waste the money on 100 utilities, centres and has beens from other clubs? We keep freeing up all this cap space and wasting it lol.

Tracey wouldn't come on chump change, anyway. Much better to keep a local junior who loved the club, and hold onto a promising young talent in the centres.... especially given all the crowing Gus does about pathways. He has proven his talk is just that.... any young gun at this club is expendable for a little instant gratification. As for Avo, I think the truth is they would have kept him if they could have. For some reason the local junior who had always pictured himself being a career dog no longer wanted to stay. Wonder why that is.

Gus and Ciraldo are running this club into the ground, fam. Dunno when you guys are going to wake up and smell the coffee.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
If, and it is an if! Xerri comes back well. He is miles ahead of Averillo. He is also on half the money that Averillo is on.

Taaffe is a like for like replacement for Avo. Once again cheaper. Tracey is an upgrade on Avo. Not sure what dollars are on the table for him though?
Tracey is 27 years old and still wasn't good enough to crack Cronulla's first grade side. Averillo is four years his junior and will end up being a much better player. In no way is this trading up.

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tracey is 27 years old and still wasn't good enough to crack Cronulla's first grade side. Averillo is four years his junior and will end up being a much better player. In no way is this trading up.
Correct @Flanagun Averillo already played 12 more NRL games and four years younger. Averillo loved Canterbury and had passion for the club.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Averillo has made the best decision for his future. Whatever progression he has to develop will have more chance of coming out under uncle Wayne at the Dolphins. Than it would have playing cup with the Dogs.

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's the point on freeing up cap space if we are just going to waste the money on 100 utilities, centres and has beens from other clubs? We keep freeing up all this cap space and wasting it lol.

Tracey wouldn't come on chump change, anyway. Much better to keep a local junior who loved the club, and hold onto a promising young talent in the centres.... especially given all the crowing Gus does about pathways. He has proven his talk is just that.... any young gun at this club is expendable for a little instant gratification. As for Avo, I think the truth is they would have kept him if they could have. For some reason the local junior who had always pictured himself being a career dog no longer wanted to stay. Wonder why that is.

Gus and Ciraldo are running this club into the ground, fam. Dunno when you guys are going to wake up and smell the coffee.
@Flanagun you're a smart person have a look at every single signing not 1-13 players at the clubs we got them from and all of them showed the door their former clubs didn't want them. Crichton the only exception.

Gabreal was paraded as the future. Doesn't even make it to his Development and NRL deals.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very happy with this signing. A known quantity. No questions a sound player we don’t have to wait and develop. Fastest backline on paper we have had in long time .