News NRL market watch: Cronulla Sharks agree player swap deal with Canterbury Bulldogs for Connor Tracey

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I've always been told Crichton is playing fullback but signing Tracey and not playing him at fullback just doesn't make sense. Maybe he plays 5/8 with Burton shifting to centre. I just can't imagine we signed Tracey with the intention to start him at centre. He's okay there but that just doesn't make sense with the squad we have.
I could see them playing Tracey at centre for a until xerri is nrl ready . It's good to have replacements options again

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I could see them playing Tracey at centre for a while until xerri is nrl ready . It's good to have replacements options again
I'm like 99% certain Kiraz is playing centre this year and Wilson on the wing outside him.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Anyone think Sharks are positioning themselves to have a crack at Luai ?
Imagine having to deal with Luai and Mulitalo on the same edge haha.
Tracey was off contract after next year anyways (also just depth for them on very little) and after the year Moylan just had they were always going to move him on. I don't think getting rid of them is a plan to get X player.

Last edited:

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've always been told Crichton is playing fullback but signing Tracey and not playing him at fullback just doesn't make sense. Maybe he plays 5/8 with Burton shifting to centre. I just can't imagine we signed Tracey with the intention to start him at centre. He's okay there but that just doesn't make sense with the squad we have.
I think this signing could spell the end of the Crichton experiment at Fullback before it began. He is one of the best centres in the game and I think that’s where he will play.

Tracey is a versatile player and whilst he can play many positions. Fullback is his best position. I expect him to play at 1.

I think it also gives Taaffe an off-season training in the halves.

The backline is looking strong and deep which is a positive. Unfortunately the same cannot be said about the forwards.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I think this signing could spell the end of the Crichton experiment at Fullback before it began. He is one of the best centres in the game and I think that’s where he will play.

Tracey is a versatile player and whilst he can play many positions. Fullback is his best position. I expect him to play at 1.

I think it also gives Taaffe an off-season training in the halves.

The backline is looking strong and deep which is a positive. Unfortunately the same cannot be said about the forwards.
Having watched him play quite a bit (from his De La Salle Caringbah days) I believe Tracey is a better centre than fullback.

Always a Bulldog

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Tracey was off contract after next year anyways (also just depth for them on very little) and after the year Moylan just had they were always going to move him on. I don't think getting rid o them is a plan to get X player.
To me though their backrow CTW and FB are stacked, FRF is also stacked despite not having that alpha. All signs point to making a play for a 6.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm like 99% certain Kiraz is playing centre this year and Wilson on the wing outside him.
Kiraz should have played centre this year imo, not sure about next year though. We have so many options now.I wanted Wilson in also,not sure where he fits in now either.

Last edited:

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well tbh Kiraz is more of a tackle buster, so in that respect yes he is a strong runner. I was more thinking about staright hitups when returning a 5th tackle kick and Wilson is fairly good at that and will only get better as he gets stronger. Tbh I don’t envy Ciro. He has too many quality players to select for the back 5 now.
You have more chance of guessing the lotto numbers,than our starting team next year . . .

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we kept Averillo you wouldn't go after someone like Tracey, similar levels. I think depending on the details/salaries determines if it was a good "trade" or not.
Agree to disagree, Tracey is a big step up on Avo. Not sure re salaries etc as I have no visibility over anything like this….

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
I have a few concerns and questions on this.

1. We swapped a development player for a player that surely wouldn’t come if he wasn’t top 30. So what is the plan here? Who is leaving from the top 30? We need to create room. This couldnt have happened unless that player has been Identified. Are we about to lose JAC ?

2. Why are we getting an outside back when we have already signed outside backs? Even if a player is on the outer as per point 1, we are going to need to ship out a 2nd player in order to get Klemmer or AFB or someone. Who? Why are we signing this guy?

3. We have just bought a fringe first grade 27 yr old and swapped him with a teenage SG ball star. A Lebanese player too!
But hang on!! Isn’t Gus’ whole big spiel and mantra is to be patient so the kids can come through the grades and have a new era of dominance?
Is he talkign shit?
Because he’s just traded out the type of highly rated player he’s been telling us to wait for!?

Nothing about this computes for me at all. And it kinda makes me think Gus is lying about the pathways as he has just sold one out for a cheap instant gratificationbuy at first opportunity.

I’m not being negative or being ‘clown crew adjacent’ this is a serious set of concerns and question I have?
And just to add….
Wouldn’t this sighing be a spit in the face to Taafe?
Since he signed, we have gone on a bender signing players in his position

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless Xerri doesn’t come back to NRL level or we get smashed with injuries. I cannot see Wilson getting much time in the top grade this year. Kiraz will fill that wing spot.

amapusae

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is insurance if Crichton doesn’t work at fullback. Which looks like Taaffe is competing for a position in the halves