News NRL market watch: Bulldogs, Dragons lead chase for Jarome Luai, Addin Fonua-Blake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
But we’ve just gotten rid of Barrett’s worst signings, notably TPJ. And although pre-Barrett, Thompson. So how can you stake that claim?

Yes, we got rid of reserve grade forwards: Davey, Okunbor, Pele and yes, Waddell (who’ll be lucky to crack the 17 at Crookvale). Why would you retain or re-sign any of them and jeopardise our young fellas coming through? And before you get into Waddell love bomb mode - be had 3 years at Belmore and only remotely stood up in his final one - not co-incidentally when he was looking for a new contract.
Waddell was a dud

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
we can 100 percent blame him. How does he expect to sell elite players on a vision to come here when he is giving quotes to the media saying we are years off success to buy himself time?

His tenure so far has been the most dismal of failures.
Correct @Flanagun Gus is buying himself another 5yr deal by saying the club is in a 10yr rebuild. Penrith realised the 5yr plan was about to be a 15yr one they executed Gus. Richardson didn't miss Gus when saying he doesn't believe in rebuilds.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
But we’ve just gotten rid of Barrett’s worst signings, notably TPJ. And although pre-Barrett, Thompson. So how can you stake that claim?

Yes, we got rid of reserve grade forwards: Davey, Okunbor, Pele and yes, Waddell (who’ll be lucky to crack the 17 at Crookvale). Why would you retain or re-sign any of them and jeopardise our young fellas coming through? And before you get into Waddell love bomb mode - be had 3 years at Belmore and only remotely stood up in his final one - not co-incidentally when he was looking for a new contract.
What young blokes coming through? We have no young middles who are NRL ready.

I’m not against getting rid of TPJ, no doubt he was an underachiever and didn’t have the best attitude…. but he was still one of our only forwards who was capable of bending the line. If you’re going to let him go, all good, but if you don’t have someone lined up to replace him you’re weakening the pack, not strengthening it.

Thompson is line ball. I have a feeling he is a much better player than he was able to show for us… injury has prevented him from playing his best footy, and we could have no doubt re-signed him for much less… so if the cupboard is as bare as Gus says, where’s the harm in signing him for an extra year and making it clear his future beyond that year with the club is in his hands?

Waddell was always a player who put in effort, so the talk he was playing for a contract is rubbish. He had an issue with discipline, and he fixed it. one of the few good things Ciraldo has done at this club is help Waddell improve his discipline and now we are no longer benefiting from it. He was not on much money and keeping him should have been an absolute no brainer, considering hoe depleted our forward stocks are. You honestly think it was worth letting him go to bring an ordinary player like Faamausili in? Waddell goes way harder.

If you’re going to clear the decks of forwards like Gus has, you sure as shit had better land your targets. Gus keeps shooting and missing, and you guys celebrate him for it. It’s absurd. Unless we land a major signing between now and kick off next year, we are going to be going into 2024 with an even weaker pack than we did this year. That is not progress.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Correct @Flanagun Gus is buying himself another 5yr deal by saying the club is in a 10yr rebuild. Penrith realised the 5yr plan was about to be a 15yr one they executed Gus. Richardson didn't miss Gus when saying he doesn't believe in rebuilds.
Seven years of shit and he has people believing it is reasonable to wait another 5-10 years for success. It’s laughable, fam.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
How is he a “dud buy” when he was on chump change and in a foot race with Preston for the title of our best forward this year? You guys are cooked.
Now now, just because I think he made some terrible errors, had poor discipline and didn't play with any brains no need to get snarky.

It's as though I'm insulting a family member, cool you're jets flan

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
You don’t know what he says to players in private and in negotiation. Talking us down in public is simply to take pressure off immediate results and the coaching staff.

I am not going to debate his media position because I think it’s an assert but also a hinderance.

You need a holiday, or maybe some more positive friends.
It doesn’t matter what he says in private. If he’s going to say that sort of thing in public, players are going to take it on board and doubt what he says in private. The only peo
old he is taking pressure off are himself and Ciraldo. Pure self interest.

I’m not a negative person, the club is in a negative situation. The sooner you guys realise that, the better off you
lol be.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
It doesn’t matter what he says in private. If he’s going to say that sort of thing in public, players are going to take it on board and doubt what he says in private. The only peo
old he is taking pressure off are himself and Ciraldo. Pure self interest.

I’m not a negative person, the club is in a negative situation. The sooner you guys realise that, the better off you
lol be.
You’re starting to sound a bit like Marley mate

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Now now, just because I think he made some terrible errors, had poor discipline and didn't play with any brains no need to get snarky.

It's as though I'm insulting a family member, cool you're jets flan
His discipline and control were excellent this year. Look, nothing personal, but I do take exception to people constantly bagging out a bloke who really ripped in for us this year while shielding those who underperform (aka Gus and Ciraldo from criticism.) it’s like you guys make judgments based on preconceived ideas and not what has unfolded on and off the field this year.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
You’re starting to sound a bit like Marley mate
You know me, fam. I haven’t been a pessimist throughout my time on this forum, but I’m not gonna lie, I think the club is in a bad state and Gus is just going through the motions. Last year was very painful to sit through and our forwards got dominated all year. Going into next year with an even weaker pack is not acceptable to me. Gus would wanna have a rabbit in his hat.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Why is it a disaster douchebag? Was him leaving Manly a disaster for them? Was him leaving the Warriors a disaster for them? What are the chances he would be a disaster for the club?

You call it a miss, what makes you think we didn't even bother going all in? What makes you think he always wanted to go back and play for a beachside team?
The dreamer is present at every meeting and taps in to all phone conversations of Gus, potential recruits and their player managers.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
His discipline and control were excellent this year. Look, nothing personal, but I do take exception to people constantly bagging out a bloke who really ripped in for us this year while shielding those who underperform (aka Gus and Ciraldo from criticism.) it’s like you guys make judgments based on preconceived ideas and not what has unfolded on and off the field this year.
"his discipline and control were excellent"

How about when he was done for eye gouging, or repeatedly dropping the ball or giving away dumb penalties that lead directly to tries scored against us. Yes we've sucked for a long time, but the stuff he did on field certainly didn't help, and yes you can argue the point his teammates didn't do him any favours but overall his errors stood out imo.

As for ciraldo, give him time before continually sinking the boot in. Not even the greatest coach could do any better with the team we fielded last year. Gus is pig headed and set in his ways but I believe he knows what he's doing. If we're in the same position next year, and the year after with no gradual improvement then your criticism will be justified, but I think you're jumping the gun by quite the margin with these beating the drum like posts

Last edited:

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why is it a disaster douchebag? Was him leaving Manly a disaster for them? Was him leaving the Warriors a disaster for them? What are the chances he would be a disaster for the club?

You call it a miss, what makes you think we didn't even bother going all in? What makes you think he always wanted to go back and play for a beachside team?
Because props of that high caliber are rarely available. AFB is an elite prop and we dont even have any props as it is so as far as im concerned it shouldve been all in on him. These opportunites don’t come around often. We should know this from back when Tino politely told us to fuck off when we were sniffing around the possibilitys of his signature

Status
Not open for further replies.