NRL makes massive blunder re Rhyse Martin kicking position.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Like @KLil, I found it mentally quite easy to kick from the sideline because I practiced it so much both at and away from training.

I found i would second guess my self a little any where between about 7 to 15 metres in from touch.
Its just a unfamiliar angle... Right in front was two things, complacency and the pressure of slotting "an easy kick"... Still drilled them from all over the park :tonguewink:

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
side line isn't an easier shot, taking it further back from the tryline makes the angle better, not taking it wider out closer to the sideline, a 30m kick 10 in from touch is so much easier than a 30m kick on the sideline
What if u have practiced your shot 1000 times from the sideline and 20 times 10 in from touch? Which shot are u more familiar with?

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Haha, not a bloody chance...we more so than any other team are the guinea pigs for the nrl, when they need to force a rule we are the team that cops it before any other, when they want to nit pick something its us that cops it...we see it every week every year and it wont stop while this current crop of completely useless refs and Greenberg are in charge.
Optimism ma brah optimism.. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Reactions: DT

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He moved it to the sidelines where they practice from

a lot of kickers do it they showed examples on NRL 360 last night
Piggy Riddell also said it on morning sports radio that kickers would usually practice there shots more from right on the touchline rather than s few metres in.. Best way to understand your range.

Tegga

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What if u have practiced your shot 1000 times from the sideline and 20 times 10 in from touch? Which shot are u more familiar with?
You adjust the distance from the try line to adjust the angle, you practice more from the sideline because those kicks are further away and the kicks closer in from touch are easier and don’t need as much practice

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

>

BULLDOGS

Canterbury's crucial conversion attempt taken from wrong spot after refs error

AuthorBrad WalterNRL.com Senior ReporterTimestampMon 8 Apr 2019, 05:26 PM

aterbury coach Dean Pay has expressed his disappointment at revelations a last-minute conversion attempt by Rhyse Martin to send Sunday’s match against Melbourne into extra time should have been taken three metres closer to the goal posts.

Martin missed the shot at goal from the sideline after winger Reimis Smith had scored to give the Bulldogs a chance to snatch a golden-point win but it was discovered on Monday he took the conversion attempt from the wrong place.

NRL head of football Graham Annesley spoke to Pay after the error was detected in a review of the round by match officials and he said referee Ben Cummins and assistant referee Tim Roby "clearly weren’t paying enough attention".

Martin, who has now kicked 41 goals from 45 attempts in his 16 NRL appearances, took the conversion attempt directly in line with where Cummins had walked after the Refs' Bunker awarded Smith’s try.

Roby had stood on the mark about three metres in from the sideline while Cummins was in the in-goal area talking to match review officials.

After the try was awarded to reduce the Storm’s lead to 18-16, Cummins and Roby began walking towards each other and they moved to the sideline.

Match Highlights: Storm v Bulldogs

"In our view the referees should not have allowed that to happen - particularly in the circumstances of the game - and that kick should have been taken another three or four metres in from touch," Annesley said.

"That doesn’t mean he would have got the goal but the referees have got a responsibility to ensure the kick is taken from the mark in line with where the try was scored."

Annesley said Pay wanted to know how the error had occurred.

"I have spoken to the Bulldogs about it but they didn’t bring it to our attention," Annesley said. "In fact, we were at our review this morning looking at it when I got the phone call.

"[Pay] was OK but he queried why it was taken in the wrong spot. He wasn’t blowing up about it.

"The goal misses by a fair margin and it is impossible to know if the extra three or four metres would have made any difference to that but this is something we should not be getting wrong.
Annoying, but I think a refreshing and open approach by Annesley to raise this and address it. I always rated him as the best referee I have seen, and we were always treated fairly by him.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why the fuck year in year out do we get a disproportionate amount of dodgy calls...it’s fucking ridiculous.

When is this shit gonna stop
News limited and the media etc

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Down by 6 in the 80th minute 100% remis should of come in as much as he could

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I saw someone posted the photo on Sunday showing the kick was taken out wider from where the try was scored. I just thought Martin made that decision.

However now I know it was the referees and the fact Melbourne got the rub of the green all game, it makes you wonder.

Can anyone explain why the standard of refereeing in the NRL is so bad? I have been watching Rugby League for a long time and to my mind the standard of refereeing over say the last 5 years is the worst it has ever been, and not by a bit by a lot!

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
this has happened a lot in the past, ive noticed it so many times for all teams

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
So the refs fuck up this and award the grubbiest team in the comp an 8/4 penalty count what a fucking rort

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I saw someone posted the photo on Sunday showing the kick was taken out wider from where the try was scored. I just thought Martin made that decision.

However now I know it was the referees and the fact Melbourne got the rub of the green all game, it makes you wonder.

Can anyone explain why the standard of refereeing in the NRL is so bad? I have been watching Rugby League for a long time and to my mind the standard of refereeing over say the last 5 years is the worst it has ever been, and not by a bit by a lot!
Couple of phrases come to mind
"NO ACCOUNTABILITY" " PROTECTED SPECIES" " TAB"

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Fcuk your an ignorant person. You do realise anybody reading your comment that has actually goal kicked or even just played footy before know you have no idea...
Pull your head in champ. It’s not rocket science though you try to make it out to be

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Pull your head in champ. It’s not rocket science though you try to make it out to be
Righto mate.. go toe bash a ball and try not to land on your arse in the process champ. And next time leave your smart arse comments to yourself.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
Couple of phrases come to mind
"NO ACCOUNTABILITY" " PROTECTED SPECIES" " TAB"
It may well also be that the game is getting too complicated. We have had more illegal types of tackles introduced in the past 5 years, than the 100 years before that. They are trying to level the playing field, make it safer and speed it up so fast, it literally is putting too much pressure on referees. All their goals create a conflicted scenario. Trying to speed it up and make it safer - how the hell do you think you can do that with humans trying to officiate the game? Combine that with referees being human and have hidden bias, it ends up being a clusterfuck of an officiating process! LOL