NRL GRAND FINAL AND SALARY CAP

adamsapple

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The salary cap is supposed to try and even out the competition to be fair for every team
Since the start of the NRL in 1998
We have the following

Brisbane broncos 1998 2000 2006 2015 3 premierships 1 loss

Canterbury Bulldogs 1998 2004 2012 2014 1 premiership 3 losses

Melbourne storm 1999 2006 2007 2008 2009 2012 2016 2017 2018 5 premierships 4 losses

Sydney Roosters 2000 2002 2003 2004 2010 2013 2018 3 premierships 4 losses

South Sydney Rabbitohs 2014 1 premiership

Parramatta Eels 2001 2009 2 losses

New Zealand Warriors 2002 2011 2 losses

Manly sea Eagles 2007 2008 2011 2013 2 premierships 2 losses

Newcastle knights 2001 1 premiership

Wests Tigers 2005 1 premiership

Penrith Panthers 2003 1 premiership

Cronulla Sharks 2016 1 premiership

St george 2010 1 premiership

NQld Cowboys 2005 2015 2017 1 premiership 2 losses

Canberra raiders and gold coast titans yet to feature in an NRL GF

Out of the 16 NRL teams in 21 seasons 12 different teams have tasted atleast 1 premiership and 14 different teams have made it to the GF (warriors and parra both losing 2 gfs)

So my question is this comp really even because i always think it isn't but looking at this stat it seems like it is
Whats everyones thoughts?

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No sports competition is going to see different winners every year, it all comes down to management.

Look at the most dominate team of the past decade the Storm, they have arguably the best management structure in the game. They have a set way of playing they believe in and they buy players to fit around that, they are ruthless in going after young stars, they snared Papenhuyzen from the Tigers and B.Smith from the Cowboys and slowly introduced them into the first team, they invest all their money into their spine players, even if it means they lose a quality forward or back every once in a while. They lost two of the best players of this generation the past two years (Slater & Cronk) and yet still have run through the whole competition again.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say that these stats show that the competition isn't even.
Sure, there are 14 teams who have made a grand final but that's in what 42 opportunities?

Have a look how many times the notorious teams have featured (storm, rorters and broncos). Quite a few teams with only one appearance, some with none and others 3 or less.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I would say that these stats show that the competition isn't even.
Sure, there are 14 teams who have made a grand final but that's in what 42 opportunities?

Have a look how many times the notorious teams have featured (storm, rorters and broncos). Quite a few teams with only one appearance, some with none and others 3 or less.
Look at the clubs who havent made the grand final in the last two decades, Raiders and Titans, both clubs have been laughing stocks (Canberra less so the last 2-3 years tbf), so no surprise there. Teams like the the Knights, Panthers, Sharks, Tigers, Eels and Warriors have been poorly run and yet some of them have still managed to nab a premiership, they can't put any blame on the NRL for their failures.

The truth is that most teams have struggled for any success through their own fault and teams such as Melbourne and the Roosters have just capitalised on this and maintained their spot on top of the ladder.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The warriors have had some unbelievable teams on paper since their inception but haven’t even looked like winning one it also took the cowboys ages to nail their first premiership,I think it all comes down to the culture of the club and having the entire squad focused on the same goal at the end of the year,and of course injury plays its part. A champion team will always beat a team of champions but making that happen isn’t easy at all

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The warriors have had some unbelievable teams on paper since their inception but haven’t even looked like winning one it also took the cowboys ages to nail their first premiership,I think it all comes down to the culture of the club and having the entire squad focused on the same goal at the end of the year,and of course injury plays its part. A champion team will always beat a team of champions but making that happen isn’t easy at all
It comes down to who has the most media darlings and hype to be honest

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It comes down to who has the most media darlings and hype to be honest
The salary cap has been less and less effective in recent years, and the growing media influence can take full responsibly for undermining the cap.
Examples Ch9 > Rotters, News LTD > Storm.
Unless there is a left field event the domination of these 2 teams will continue, and very likely grow at the expense of others teams

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at the clubs who havent made the grand final in the last two decades, Raiders and Titans, both clubs have been laughing stocks (Canberra less so the last 2-3 years tbf), so no surprise there. Teams like the the Knights, Panthers, Sharks, Tigers, Eels and Warriors have been poorly run and yet some of them have still managed to nab a premiership, they can't put any blame on the NRL for their failures.

The truth is that most teams have struggled for any success through their own fault and teams such as Melbourne and the Roosters have just capitalised on this and maintained their spot on top of the ladder.
I cant agree.

We are about to see our fourth straight grand final with Melbourne in it and most likely will be a repeat of last years grand final.
The same two teams back to back, one team 4 years in a row (Hello Golden State Warriors) does that sound even?
In 10 years, we have only had 3 grand finals that didnt have either the rorters or the storm in it.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I cant agree.

We are about to see our fourth straight grand final with Melbourne in it and most likely will be a repeat of last years grand final.
The same two teams back to back, one team 4 years in a row (Hello Golden State Warriors) does that sound even?
In 10 years, we have only had 3 grand finals that didnt have either the rorters or the storm in it.
I just don't see how that can ever be stopped, from the 2016 premiership winning team to their current mirror premiership team only 6 players remain, in that time they have lost Slater, Cronk, Koroibete, McLean, Proctor and Harris and yet still stayed on top through good planning and cap management. Other than kicking them out the comp there is no way to dethrone them other than the other clubs getting their shit together and making up the ground.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just don't see how that can ever be stopped, from the 2016 premiership winning team to their current mirror premiership team only 6 players remain, in that time they have lost Slater, Cronk, Koroibete, McLean, Proctor and Harris and yet still stayed on top through good planning and cap management. Other than kicking them out the comp there is no way to dethrone them other than the other clubs getting their shit together and making up the ground.
Aside from Crink and Slater, all the rest were all replaceable.
No doubt the Storm do things well, but we all know how important they are to the NRL.
I would be extremely surprised if they are not rorting the cap in some way as well as being favoured by the NRL/refs.
This invariably goes a long way to ongoing success.