News NRL gender adviser’s take on scandal, Paul Crawley, The Daily Telegraph

Crosscut

Waterboy
Reaction score
Just for some context:

- Generally spouses/partners do not travel with the team. There may be dispensation for selected cases, but that would be an arrangement made with the club in advance of the trip. 'No women in hotel rooms' specifically refers to pickups and arrangements not made in advance.
- No doubt there's girls in hotel rooms on other occasions - but are they girls who were met (at least in Okunbor's case) at a club/NRL sanctioned function which potentially breached duty of care rules that apply to school visits - that likely is a difference.
- I don't think a comparison to the Oatlands incident is accurate. The offender in that case is facing 20 very serious charges (as he should be). Other incidents (eg: De Belin / Scott) are before the courts - this is not a criminal matter. No doubt, if found guilty through a legal process, those offenders will be sanctioned by the NRL.
- I don't think the NRL picks and chooses who it punishes arbitrarily. I agree on the surface it looks inconsistent, but there's reasons why. It's not just Greenberg wielding power.
There is no doubt about the players breaching the code of conduct. I just don't think that it deserves sacking. These are young guys , full of testosterone and girls wanting some interaction . I'm no saint, and whilst it is a power imbalance --the players have that, they were simply being foolish , something I have been guilty of. Why did Inglis for example, retain his position when he knowingly got behind the wheel of his Mercedes , when intoxicated and speeding, escape punishment?
There is inconsistency here and that is what irks fans. The NRL takes sponsorship from gambling agencies and the various beer companies knowing the terrible statistics levelled on both those activities. The Telegraph are hypocrites . They have been running an anti-Muslim agenda for a long time through "journos" like Miranda Devine et al. The Doggies have a huge Muslim following , which is wonderful. The DT run a right wing, anti -multicultural position. Anything that reinforces that, like the Bulldogs' misdemeanours are publicised. Look at Mad Monday. The DT photographers camped outside the pub until they caught some players doing silly things. They are an awful organisation, the Murdoch press. BTW I like your post.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Club had to come out, as the girls and their bimbo mates were spreading the messages and photos all over social media quicker than the coronavirus
Exactly. You can't keep it with in the club. Not when there is a trail on social media. It would have blown up even bigger and our club would be in more shit.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
There is no doubt about the players breaching the code of conduct. I just don't think that it deserves sacking. These are young guys , full of testosterone and girls wanting some interaction . I'm no saint, and whilst it is a power imbalance --the players have that, they were simply being foolish , something I have been guilty of. Why did Inglis for example, retain his position when he knowingly got behind the wheel of his Mercedes , when intoxicated and speeding, escape punishment?
There is inconsistency here and that is what irks fans. The NRL takes sponsorship from gambling agencies and the various beer companies knowing the terrible statistics levelled on both those activities. The Telegraph are hypocrites . They have been running an anti-Muslim agenda for a long time through "journos" like Miranda Devine et al. The Doggies have a huge Muslim following , which is wonderful. The DT run a right wing, anti -multicultural position. Anything that reinforces that, like the Bulldogs' misdemeanours are publicised. Look at Mad Monday. The DT photographers camped outside the pub until they caught some players doing silly things. They are an awful organisation, the Murdoch press. BTW I like your post.
It's a fine line. No-one thinks they should be shot at sunset, but where do you draw the line? How do you make it clear that if that line is crossed the consequences are significant?
Of course they're young fellas up for a good time - we've all been there - but in their jobs - whether they like it or not - there comes added responsibility from not being anonymous like most of us.
They have to accept that as highly paid professional footballers.

re: Inglis - not excusing him at all - he drove over the limit and it's against the law and potentially dangerous, but as I recall he drove the morning after he was drinking and after sleep - so no intent to drive straight after a drinking session - ie: no outright stupidity.
Again - where's the line between mistake and flagrant disregard?

Yes, the NRL takes money from those guys because those guys are willing to spend big. If I'm the CEO of the NRL do I or can I afford to turn down that revenue because of a moral stance? I doubt it, it's commercial reality.
I bet it would still be called the Winfield Cup too if tobacco sponsorship wasn't illegal - so we'll likely see the VB Blues and Sportsbet NRL odds well into the future unless alcohol and gambling advertising is also outlawed.

Agree on Limited News and the Terrorgraph - I can put my hand on my heart and say I haven't paid for a copy of that trash in well over 20 years - nor would I ever subscribe. There are plenty of better ways to get news, sport and other information - the problem now is, with everyone so willing to give away their data to social media companies for free (not me, I don't use any form of it other than LinkedIn) - how do we stop messaging manipulation of the digital age that is taking over from the traditional mainstream press? A tall order.

Thanks for your thoughts, appreciated.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
She won't have a job for long being so honest.
She is a very respected Dr. Would have more than one job already and would be in demand if the NRL give her more free time.

She doesn't need the NRL and so they couldn't intimidate her to tow the company line and she was honest.