NRL Financials

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Despite all hes detractors on this forum, the man runs a good operation.
He might be making money for the game, but I'm not sure he is improving the game itself

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He might be making money for the game, but I'm not sure he is improving the game itself
That’s the sentiment in here. Yet article states viewership up, so people must be enjoying it. I’m in the minority where I actually think the game is getting better year on year.

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I don't think it is common knowledge but the NRL and its parent, the ARLC, are registered as non-profits - meaning they don't pay a cent in tax! The rationale behind this is that they are supposed to plough back any profits generated into support for those parts of the game that need it, i.e. grassroots. Instead, they spend almost all of the money they make on bells and whistles for the NRL competition, and throw a few crumbs to the grass roots.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't think it is common knowledge but the NRL and its parent, the ARLC, are registered as non-profits - meaning they don't pay a cent in tax! The rationale behind this is that they are supposed to plough back any profits generated into support for those parts of the game that need it, i.e. grassroots. Instead, they spend almost all of the money they make on bells and whistles for the NRL competition, and throw a few crumbs to the grass roots.
100% the Bulldogs are doing more to promote junior numbers than the nrl. And the way they ignore country league is pretty poor too.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That’s the sentiment in here. Yet article states viewership up, so people must be enjoying it. I’m in the minority where I actually think the game is getting better year on year.
There is a massive disparity between viewers hip and participation rates.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There is a massive disparity between viewers hip and participation rates.
Thought it read participation was up too. Regardless, I’m just glad the games actually making good money, and we never return to the days of our pinnacle being likened to bush footy. I know people always go on about the ol days but gees, when u watch a reply it’s terrible.

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
58.2 mil is nothing, They could easily blow that on the Vegas experiment. What will be interesting is what will happen in the next broadcast deal. Will nine etc still have the deep pockets required?

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Made money but fucked the game royally with rule changes, piss poor officiating, club bias etc etc etc.
The game is so far below what it was in the 90's it's not funny.

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Made money but fucked the game royally with rule changes, piss poor officiating, club bias etc etc etc.
The game is so far below what it was in the 90's it's not funny.

The games always had piss poor officiating this isnt something thats new.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
58.2 mil is nothing, They could easily blow that on the Vegas experiment. What will be interesting is what will happen in the next broadcast deal. Will nine etc still have the deep pockets required?
Thought I read in comparison afl made 27mil profit. I wouldn’t say it’s nothing, if invested properly it grows. Buying hotels is a great start to ensure safe, constant revenue continues to poor in. I’d assume broadcast deal will be huge if games success continues, we outstripped afl for tv viewership and across other platforms. Fingers crossed anyway

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thought it read participation was up too. Regardless, I’m just glad the games actually making good money, and we never return to the days of our pinnacle being likened to bush footy. I know people always go on about the ol days but gees, when u watch a reply it’s terrible.
Rugby only focused on the top end of the sport, that's why it's dying now. The nrl needs to look after the grass roots.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Rugby only focused on the top end of the sport, that's why it's dying now. The nrl needs to look after the grass roots.
100%, so does the CRL, NSWRL, NRL teams too.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
100%, so does the CRL, NSWRL, NRL teams too.
NRL teams need to do there share for sure, when my kids were at school, there were always AFL players coming to the school to talk to the kids and do little coaching drills. Never NRL players though. League and Union compete with soccer and AFL for kids to participate and they aren't doing a very good job

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
The games always had piss poor officiating this isnt something thats new.
Definitely nothing new, but the 6again rule and other various shonky shit Sir Les V'landys has implemented has ramped up the ability for refs to completely fuck the game and manipulate results.
Barry3.jpeg
Judging by this pic he's loving his time in Vegas though.