Opinion NRL Finals Wild card entry?

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
A couple years ago I heard someone mention the idea of a wild card entry idea for the finals in the NRL. I have never been a huge fan of top 8 as it rewards mediocracy. Generally win less than 50% and compete in Finals.

Obviously with our guys now being the form team of the NRL and the fact that we will miss out of finals made me think of this idea again and what a shame. Could we do a Top 7 with some criteria for a "Wild card" entry to add that little bit of interest? Thoughts?

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it works brilliantly in MLB where they have 6 divisions across 2 leagues. But i don't think it's for the NRL. I'm an old school fan who thinks we should go back to top 5.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I think it works brilliantly in MLB where they have 6 divisions across 2 leagues. But i don't think it's for the NRL. I'm an old school fan who thinks we should go back to top 5.
Yeah must admit Top 5 was my pick too.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There's been some great runs from 7th and 8th in the last 10+ years. Warriors, Eels, Cowboys a few times and us quickly come to mind. It's made for very entertaining footy.

In saying that, there should be more reward and advantage to the teams that have been at the top all year I guess.