NRL Crowds and Ratings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I call bullshit on this article.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/05/22/nrl-crowds-and-ratings/

NRL crowds have risen and television ratings are outperforming the market, a meeting of NRL Club CEOs was told today.

Independent research group, Futures Sport and Entertainment provided an overview of the first 10 rounds of the NRL Telstra Premiership, showing the game is in a strong position.

The data, provided by Futures Sport, showed:
  • NRL crowds are up 5.5 per cent year on year, with an average crowd in 2018 of 16,620
  • The cumulative attendance figure after 10 rounds was 1.26 million
  • Television ratings for the year are down 0.4 per cent in a declining television market in Australia and up 22 per cent in New Zealand
The meeting of the CEOs today also heard that club memberships are up 5.7 per cent to nearly 310,000 so far this year.

NRL Chief Executive, Todd Greenberg said the game is in a strong position heading in the Holden State of Origin series, which is a peak period for the game.

"Our aim is to improve on those figures during the rest of the season," he said.

Mr Greenberg said Qantas, which runs the highly successful Frequent Flyer program, was invited to present to the clubs today to give a further insight on attracting members.

Updates were also provided by working groups on Third Party Agreements and commercial opportunities.

These working groups are looking to finalise their reports in the coming months.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

NRL crowds have risen and television ratings are outperforming the market, a meeting of NRL Club CEOs was told today.

Independent research group, Futures Sport and Entertainment provided an overview of the first 10 rounds of the NRL Telstra Premiership, showing the game is in a strong position.

• NRL crowds are up 5.5 per cent year on year, with an average crowd in 2018 of 16,620
  • Television ratings for the year are down 0.4 per cent in a declining television market in Australia and up 22 per cent in New Zealand
The meeting of the CEOs today also heard that club memberships are up 5.7 per cent to nearly 310,000 so far this year.

NRL Chief Executive, Todd Greenberg said the game is in a strong position heading in the Holden State of Origin series, which is a peak period for the game.

"Our aim is to improve on those figures during the rest of the season," he said.

Mr Greenberg said Qantas, which runs the highly successful Frequent Flyer program, was invited to present to the clubs today to give a further insight on attracting members.

Updates were also provided by working groups on Third Party Agreements and commercial opportunities.

These working groups are looking to finalise their reports in the coming months.
I agree as if the crowds are up? Maybe teams are giving away more free tickets to get bums on seats? With Parra and Dogs struggling where is the NSW attendance coming from?

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Terry Lamb was giving away tickets in Miller shopping center for the Parra game lol. The last time I heard the AFL give away tickets to a game was in the Mid 80's when the swans were struggling against a rugby league market. If giving away tickets to what should be a block buster of a game Dogs Vs Eels is any indication of the strength of the NRL today, then the game is surly dying a slow death. Fucked up management and fucked up officials leads to a fucked up game / competition. Nothing to brag about!!!

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yep call bullshit too. Can’t see the rise in numbers. The nrl has sunken lower and lower each year.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Rothfield is hammering them on it LOL .. apparently they have counted some crowds twice.

E.G Round 1 Dogs vs Broncos - 10,000 fans.

and the NRL are reporting it as:
Dogs - Round 1 - 10,000 fans
Broncos - Round 1 - 10,000 fans
TOTAL R1 20,000 fans

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Might be due to the change of scheduling from Monday night to Friday night and when the parra and dogs fans were still hopeful. The numbers will be spiralling downhill quickly now .

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I agree as if the crowds are up? Maybe teams are giving away more free tickets to get bums on seats? With Parra and Dogs struggling where is the NSW attendance coming from?
Chooks regularly have 20k to their games......
That's what they count every game lol

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Pathetic refereeing performance up 1000%.
Smashing it out of the park NRL.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Rothfield is hammering them on it LOL .. apparently they have counted some crowds twice.

E.G Round 1 Dogs vs Broncos - 10,000 fans.

and the NRL are reporting it as:
Dogs - Round 1 - 10,000 fans
Broncos - Round 1 - 10,000 fans
TOTAL R1 20,000 fans
That's not what Rothfield was saying. He was saying that they count double headers twice, so both games get the maximum numbers as crowd figures. This year we have had more double headers than last year so that points to the increase in figures. But, despite all the arguments, it is clear that things are on the up. Our memberships have increased this year and we are now over 19,000 and pretty much every other club is up as well. What has changed is the streaming aspect of watching footy. Something I know nothing about but seemingly lots of people watch their footy on their phones and it isn't counted in those numbers. So the bottom line is that league is growing despite all the doom and gloom and one thing is certain, companies wouldn't pay billions for the rights if they couldn't see an increased return on their investment.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Or maybe all those Souths pet memberships are being counted in attendance?
I've heard they count fleas and pubic lice in the attendance at Souths games whic triples the attendance rates.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That's not what Rothfield was saying. He was saying that they count double headers twice, so both games get the maximum numbers as crowd figures. This year we have had more double headers than last year so that points to the increase in figures. But, despite all the arguments, it is clear that things are on the up. Our memberships have increased this year and we are now over 19,000 and pretty much every other club is up as well. What has changed is the streaming aspect of watching footy. Something I know nothing about but seemingly lots of people watch their footy on their phones and it isn't counted in those numbers. So the bottom line is that league is growing despite all the doom and gloom and one thing is certain, companies wouldn't pay billions for the rights if they couldn't see an increased return on their investment.
With anybody that is capable of streaming 9 now able to watch their team play, the television ratings should have jumped up massively. For them to drop overall speaks volumes about the fact that people are sick of the bullshit. To my way of thinking the NRL have been gifted a record TV sponsorship deal, but are shooting themselves in the foot with a rocket launcher by allowing referees to blatantly influence games without the prospect of punitive action. The major broadcast sponsors are locked in for the duration of their contracts, but the next time broadcast rights are being bid on the NRL might find they're up shit creek after increasing the salary cap but destroying the quality of the product by not acting on clear issues. I know you think everything is rosy, but I kinow so many people now that just can't stomach the refereeing standards. It all adds up and the ratings are suffering despite it being easier to see pretty much every game.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
With anybody that is capable of streaming 9 now able to watch their team play, the television ratings should have jumped up massively. For them to drop overall speaks volumes about the fact that people are sick of the bullshit. To my way of thinking the NRL have been gifted a record TV sponsorship deal, but are shooting themselves in the foot with a rocket launcher by allowing referees to blatantly influence games without the prospect of punitive action. The major broadcast sponsors are locked in for the duration of their contracts, but the next time broadcast rights are being bid on the NRL might find they're up shit creek after increasing the salary cap but destroying the quality of the product by not acting on clear issues. I know you think everything is rosy, but I kinow so many people now that just can't stomach the refereeing standards. It all adds up and the ratings are suffering despite it being easier to see pretty much every game.
But that is the point. Those using their phones/tablets to watch TV aren't counted in the numbers. I'm sure tens if not hundreds of thousands of young people watch the footy that way these days, so when you add those in the numbers would be way up. The fact that people are paying to watch the footy via foxtel and increased memberships shows that the interest level is growing, not declining.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I've heard they count fleas and pubic lice in the attendance at Souths games whic triples the attendance rates.
I heard they wanted to count dentures also but their fans refused to spit them out with all the thieves hanging around the burrow :grinning:

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

It's easy to say the crowds are up when you fudge the crowd figures!

Status
Not open for further replies.