NRL: Bulldog Corey Thompson desperate to fit into Ben Barba's old jersey

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadiwrx

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
On a day when the club will install a new board and captain, Corey Thompson wants to prove he has what it takes to become Canterbury's new fullback.

Thompson's immediate focus is his Bulldogs debut in Sunday's ''Back to Belmore'' trial against South Sydney, where he is a contender for the No.1 jersey vacated by Ben Barba. However, the 23-year-old has already begun planning for life after football. ''I'm going to study criminal justice, get back into the airport to become a customs officer,'' he said.

''When I was in high school, I worked at the airport as a baggage handler and I really enjoyed it. I thought I'd take it that step further and make a career out of it.''
But first he needs to prove to coach Des Hasler that he can handle the pressure of the custodian role. Thompson, off contract at the end of the season, is part of a 33-man squad that includes fellow fullback candidates Sam Perrett, Josh Morris, Drury Low, Krisnan Inu and Tyrone Peachey.

A prolific try-scorer for Easts Tigers in the Queensland-based Intrust Super Cup, Thompson was signed up by the Bulldogs midway through last season. But breaking his hand in just his third NSW Cup appearance sidelined him for 10 weeks. Now injury free and with a full pre-season under his belt, the Mount Gravatt junior is a chance of marking up on Dally M winner Barba when the Bulldogs open the season against Brisbane.

''Benny was a real good player for the club but since he left a few of the boys have really stood up and put their hand up for the No.1,'' he said.
''It's given the boys more confidence to come out of their shell and show what they have. It would mean the world [to make first grade]. I'd play my hardest to prove - if I don't get the No.1 - that I deserve a place somewhere in the 17.''

Thompson is yet to play an NRL game but he has been tutored by the best in the business.
He was so impressive in a Sevens rugby tournament that he was invited to an Australian camp by Michael O'Connor. And he spent last pre-season under Craig Bellamy, although Melbourne could not afford to fit him under their salary cap. Now he is learning from dual-premiership winner Hasler. ''Craig and Des are pretty much the same in how they run their team and their expectations of their players,'' he said. ''I learnt a lot there and I think it helped me coming down to the Bulldogs, gave me a clue of what to expect.''

A new fullback will not be the only change at Belmore on Monday. Frank Pritchard will share the captaincy duties on a full-time basis with Michael Ennis, and members will go back to Canterbury League Club to vote for a new board.

Director Paul Dunn is attempting to overthrow incumbent chairman Ray Dib at the ballot box, in what has become a nasty campaign after the Dunn faction falsely claimed another candidate, Steve Mortimer, on their ticket. However, Mortimer is a staunch Dib supporter and has vowed to quit the board if the chairman is dumped.

Source

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Nice read except the little bit of negativity regarding our board at the end.

Hubdy

Bite Me
Reaction score
Thompson, off contract at the end of the season, is part of a 33-man squad that includes fellow fullback candidates Sam Perrett, Josh Morris, Drury Low, Krisnan Inu and Tyrone Peachey.

When did we sign Tyrone Peachey..???
I guess they mean Tyrone Phillips.

N

Natboy

I think when I said this three months ago I was told I was full of it
That's exactly want Mitch brown told me
I like Corey & hope he has a great trial

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
When we signed Corey Thompson he came with pretty big wraps but hasn't been heard of since he got here.

Just maybe Des had him as a genuine contender when he knew Barba was always on his way out from the beginning of the 2013 season.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I totally forgot that we signed Corey Thompson.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I've seen articles about Corey Thompson, Sam Perrett, Josh Morris, Krisnan Inu and Pat Templeman all saying they will be the new fullback. So it'll probably be Tyrone Phillips.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Sooo sick of this FB conjecture!

N

Natboy

I've seen articles about Corey Thompson, Sam Perrett, Josh Morris, Krisnan Inu and Pat Templeman all saying they will be the new fullback. So it'll probably be Tyrone Phillips.
Lol no he was mentioned too so it will be John Sila haha

Slick

Young Gun
Reaction score
Lol no he was mentioned too so it will be John Sila haha
If we're going on people not mentioned as our candidates then my money is on Kasiano for our new fullback.

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
When we signed Corey Thompson he came with pretty big wraps but hasn't been heard of since he got here.

Just maybe Des had him as a genuine contender when he knew Barba was always on his way out from the beginning of the 2013 season.
Yeah I didn't know he broke his hand. Makes sense now that he wasn't heard from last year

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lets hope someone stands out as fullback and cements the position, it's crucial we get it right, would love to see another star unearthed, especially a speedster.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I cant say whether i think it would be a good idea or not having Thomson at FB, coz tbh i havent seen him play, or cant remember seeing him play. We probably wont know the starting fb till days before round one i reckon, in any case.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Nice article. Thompson was signed up to replace Ben Barba during Barbas rocky period and came with BIG wraps.

Then when he was about to get his chance, he got injured, and thus why Morris filled in.

I hope he kills it in the trials. Decent player, really nice footwork and pace, and rather Patten like.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Last week it was pat tempo for fb and today its corey thompson. Even the media has no idea lol. My money is that we will not find out til 6.30pm fri nyt an hour before we play those donkeys round 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.