NRL applying for $30 million loan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
We have all seen the amount that John Grant initially put forward and that is the amount you have mentioned. If that has been guaranteed how can they renege on it?

If they have guaranteed that amount why are they now saying the cap will be 9.2 or thereabouts. 130% of 9.2 is only 11,960,000
Yes you have now worked out why the NRL are reneging. Saves them over $16m a year in total if the cap is dropped.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
$80 million they need this year already... $50 million pissed down the drain it seems.

Suddenly John Grant jumping ship is making more sense.

Titans - Losing $2 million a season under NRL.
Knights - Losing $2 million a season under NRL.
St Merge - $6.5million unpaid loan.

NRL need to get serious with clubs.

Titans - Find a new owner by end of season or the club is disbanded and license up for grabs (maybe a Toowoomba or Logan side - or Sunshine Coast Team).
Knights - Find a new owner by end of season or club is disbanded and license up for grabs (Central Coast Bears anyone??)
St Merge - Pay the loan by end of season or bankrupt the club and send the license to Perth for a new team.
The Gold Coast hasn't worked what three times now? Central Coast Bears would be great.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
The Gold Coast hasn't worked what three times now? Central Coast Bears would be great.
They've had a fair bit of bad luck with recruits though. Always seems to be one drama or other happening up there. It would be hard for the fans to get behind them and therefore the big sponsors but they are certainly worth persevering with. They have quite a few minor sponsors and once the NRL sells them to the right owners they will get the stability they need.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
$80 million they need this year already... $50 million pissed down the drain it seems.

Suddenly John Grant jumping ship is making more sense.

Titans - Losing $2 million a season under NRL.
Knights - Losing $2 million a season under NRL.
St Merge - $6.5million unpaid loan.

NRL need to get serious with clubs.

Titans - Find a new owner by end of season or the club is disbanded and license up for grabs (maybe a Toowoomba or Logan side - or Sunshine Coast Team).
Knights - Find a new owner by end of season or club is disbanded and license up for grabs (Central Coast Bears anyone??)
St Merge - Pay the loan by end of season or bankrupt the club and send the license to Perth for a new team.
They didn't mention the tigers loan

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
From wanting to be 200 million in front to 80 million is loans. What other business or sport is run this way. 280million fmd the nrl board needs to go. John Quayle is the man to run the game or Demetriou the ex afl boss. Afl put league to shame in every area except and its mind numbing to watch.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
From wanting to be 200 million in front to 80 million is loans. What other business or sport is run this way. 280million fmd the nrl board needs to go. John Quayle is the man to run the game or Demetriou the ex afl boss. Afl put league to shame in every area except and its mind numbing to watch.
Settle petal. The new TV deal hasn't started yet. They don't get a zac until 1 November. I can only assume the $200m that is being referred to is the money the NRL indicated they would pump into junior footy and the like over the 5 years as part of a contingency fund. They spent it over the 5 year period on a host of things. So the $30m is now $80m. Perhaps we should just round it off to a billion and be done with it. It's only cashflow not losses. You may be aware that Demetriou left under a cloud, half the AFL senior management have resigned due to sexual harassment and they have 10 times the drug problems that the NRL has. All they have going for them are a few muppets in Melbourne that like the game and a media that love them unlike our media who eat their own children.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Settle petal. The new TV deal hasn't started yet. They don't get a zac until 1 November. I can only assume the $200m that is being referred to is the money the NRL indicated they would pump into junior footy and the like over the 5 years as part of a contingency fund. They spent it over the 5 year period on a host of things. So the $30m is now $80m. Perhaps we should just round it off to a billion and be done with it. It's only cashflow not losses. You may be aware that Demetriou left under a cloud, half the AFL senior management have resigned due to sexual harassment and they have 10 times the drug problems that the NRL has. All they have going for them are a few muppets in Melbourne that like the game and a media that love them unlike our media who eat their own children.
John grant is that you. ?. You believe the nrl is well managed. Compare that to the afl. Light years in front of the nrl. Crowds, membership, cash flow. Everything they do is better. Demetriou left a while ago, the sex scandle is recent plus its was an affair not sex scandle

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
John grant is that you. ?. You believe the nrl is well managed. Compare that to the afl. Light years in front of the nrl. Crowds, membership, cash flow. Everything they do is better. Demetriou left a while ago, the sex scandle is recent plus its was an affair not sex scandle
It was using your authority to coerce junior staff into a relationship if that isn't a scandal then I wasted my time at all those EEO lectures over the years. Demetriou has only been gone a couple of years and been under a cloud ever since. Crowds are irrelevant as the AFL play their games at family friendly times whereas we have been stuck with TV friendly times due to the contract we had 5 years ago. Our memberships are growing every year and as for cashflow, you wouldn't know what the AFL does because they don't publicise it and don't have a jealous little mob in the DT looking for a way back into the inner sanctum by waging war against them. Tell me, how did they handle the peptides thing compared with the NRL? We dealt with it they hid it - even paid the coach $1m to have a holiday for a year. How about Cousins and the cover up there? I couldn't give a rats about the AFL so I don't read about them and even I know about those scandals. Unlike you, I don't look at everything from the perspective of it being incompetent, I look at it objectively and assess it against my knowledge and experience and can see what various outfits including ours do and why. That's why I think the NRL is generally doing a pretty good job at the moment. Sure the previous administrations did some dumb things but they are now leaner, more football oriented and focused on developing footy for the fans and at the grassroots almost as much as the elite and those are all positives. The AFL had a cash slush fund available to them over the past 5 years that the NRL didn't have. From next year they will be on a more equal footing financially and then you can just them objectively.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
It was using your authority to coerce junior staff into a relationship if that isn't a scandal then I wasted my time at all those EEO lectures over the years. Demetriou has only been gone a couple of years and been under a cloud ever since. Crowds are irrelevant as the AFL play their games at family friendly times whereas we have been stuck with TV friendly times due to the contract we had 5 years ago. Our memberships are growing every year and as for cashflow, you wouldn't know what the AFL does because they don't publicise it and don't have a jealous little mob in the DT looking for a way back into the inner sanctum by waging war against them. Tell me, how did they handle the peptides thing compared with the NRL? We dealt with it they hid it - even paid the coach $1m to have a holiday for a year. How about Cousins and the cover up there? I couldn't give a rats about the AFL so I don't read about them and even I know about those scandals. Unlike you, I don't look at everything from the perspective of it being incompetent, I look at it objectively and assess it against my knowledge and experience and can see what various outfits including ours do and why. That's why I think the NRL is generally doing a pretty good job at the moment. Sure the previous administrations did some dumb things but they are now leaner, more football oriented and focused on developing footy for the fans and at the grassroots almost as much as the elite and those are all positives. The AFL had a cash slush fund available to them over the past 5 years that the NRL didn't have. From next year they will be on a more equal footing financially and then you can just them objectively.
Relax this isnt a footy forum not a lecture. Put to a vote and afl is the best run sport in the country hands down.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I'm still wondering... how TF does a billion dollar company like the NRL blow money left, right and centre to need a loan from the bank FFS?

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm still wondering... how TF does a billion dollar company like the NRL blow money left, right and centre to need a loan from the bank FFS?
They've got money. They are saving it for a New Team in WA i reckon and not letting on. Think about it. Did they spend money on any advertising campaign this year? No. Did they raise the cap to 10mil plus as suggested by the previous Boss? No.
Greenberg is a smart operator. He will go back one step to go two forward. That's my take on it.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Relax this isnt a footy forum not a lecture. Put to a vote and afl is the best run sport in the country hands down.
What makes you think I'm not relaxed. It's guys like you that get all excited. I just try to explain things to calm you down :grinning:

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...n/news-story/cad6c05654e3252c04832894843a1dc3

Phil Rothfield, The Daily Telegraph
June 17, 2017 9:00pm

THE NRL has been forced to apply for a $30 million bank loan to pay for club funding agreements it could never afford.

Chief executive Todd Greenberg not only needs approval from the banks but also broadcasters Channel 9 and Fox Sports, who will act as “guarantors”.

This is the second injection of cash the NRL has needed in 2017, having already received a $50 million advance from Fox Sports to ease its cashflow problems.

The need for the $30 million loan has risen from the independent commission caving in to the 16 clubs on funding deals from 2018 onwards.

After 18 months of negotiations, commission chairman John Grant eventually guaranteed the clubs $13 million a year in annual grants at a cost of more than $1 billion over the five years of the broadcasting deal.

It saved his job and got rid of a no-confidence motion in his leadership.

Yet the NRL bean counters quickly discovered they won’t have the money when the first club instalments are due to be handed out in November.

Only the $30 million loan would ensure the clubs get what they were guaranteed.

It’s one of the reasons why Grant had no choice but to confirm he will leave in February at the end of his term.

Under the strategic plan that Grant published soon after the independent commission came into power, the game was supposed to have $200 million in the bank by 2017 in a future fund.

Instead, it has basically got nothing.

It’s not helping the NRL in that it still hasn’t sold the Gold Coast Titans or the Newcastle Knights to private owners.

Both clubs are losing about $2 million a year under the NRL’s ownership.

Also, the commission was forced to save a desperate St George Illawarra with a $6.5 million loan — money that still hasn’t been repaid.

The new $30 million loan will be paid off over the five years of the broadcast deal and will attract millions of dollars in interest.

Placing further pressure on the NRL administration is the ongoing negotiations with the Rugby League Players’ Association over its members’ future salaries.
Big flashing red lights with alarms blaring here for Bankers. They got a $50M advance & still need a $30M loan? Oh dear

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I wouldn't let Demetriou near any comp. He has made a mess of the AFL now focusing more on Social Justice than the game itself.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I wouldn't let Demetriou near any comp. He has made a mess of the AFL now focusing more on Social Justice than the game itself.
Hmmm sounds like this blimp with a wig we used to know...

good doggie

Waterboy
Gilded
Reaction score

Hi Oatley Dog & just how are things going at the NRL Commission.

You do work there ?, or just a robust supporter ?.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Hi Oatley Dog & just how are things going at the NRL Commission.

You do work there ?, or just a robust supporter ?.
Fine thanks. don't have to work there to understand how business operates nor be able to recognise the difference between the job Grant/Smith did and the job Greenberg is doing. Maybe it comes with age....

Status
Not open for further replies.