News NRL 2023: Speculation growing Mitch Moses could leave Parramatta, sign with Tigers or Bulldogs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I just want to say that I am enjoying this open forum and reading everyone's differing suggestions and opinions! Regardless whatever happens, I pray we can make the 8 this year and play some entertaining footy! Cheers everyone and lets go Dogs! 88

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If you really listen to what Gus says or doesn’t say.
Or look at what he does.

The man is patient. He works on 5 year plans and don’t mind if they take 10 to pay off…for the long term.

Everybody thinks he’s planning for ‘23. He’s planning for the decades after that.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or look at what he does.

The man is patient. He works on 5 year plans and don’t mind if they take 10 to pay off…for the long term.

Everybody thinks he’s planning for ‘23. He’s planning for the decades after that.
He got a lot of stick for not getting a premiership at the end of the 5 yr plan, but I don’t remember him ever saying that was the success/fail goal after 5 yrs…unlike the promises of a certain other CEO

I’m sure we are all wanting the team continues the run and wins it in 2024 but hopefully the fan base doesn’t call for his head if it doesn’t happen.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I think people mis-read or don’t pay attention to Gus.

He’s said numerous times he wants home grown or developed talent making up the majority of the team. Also has a high opinion of Khaled, expects him to debut this year. I can’t see him blocking his or that other bloke - Hayward? paths for multiple years, these ar the two he wants to battle it out for long term Bulldog half.

And also, and most critically, Gus is a lot more patient than the fans. I think he’ll wait and see for ‘23 at the least, give the above every opportunity because that’s what he’d prefer to work.

Remember sign Moses or anybody else for multi years, they’re both gone sooner or later. And I don’t think Gus will entertain that.
I think another view. You remember what Gus did at panthers? Got Maloney to teach cleary and co….

Who is burton learning from? He’s the young star to develop… we need an elite estabilised halfback. Not only for the development of burton but also the chance of us to be relevant.

He’s been quoted as saying he would love to talk to Moses if he’s interested in us. He’s been quoted saying we need a halfback.

Saying someone may feature this year could be numerous reasons. 1 Flanagan is shit. 2 burton is a possibility to play origin again. 3 any injuries to 6/7 he’s probably in with bbo out half the year already….

Hearing Moses and 1.25 mil a year is like fuck that. Then you factor in cap just went up 25% and he’s more like 1mil on old cap? Factor in third parties… Yeh I’d pay that. It’s high? Sure. Though if you got him at 8-850k you jump. Do you pass on that guy who’s arguably top 3-5 halfback and realistically the only option we can get? Not to mention what that provides to burton?

Yeh you go all in for him!

Taylforth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think another view. You remember what Gus did at panthers? Got Maloney to teach cleary and co….

Who is burton learning from? He’s the young star to develop… we need an elite estabilised halfback. Not only for the development of burton but also the chance of us to be relevant.

He’s been quoted as saying he would love to talk to Moses if he’s interested in us. He’s been quoted saying we need a halfback.

Saying someone may feature this year could be numerous reasons. 1 Flanagan is shit. 2 burton is a possibility to play origin again. 3 any injuries to 6/7 he’s probably in with bbo out half the year already….

Hearing Moses and 1.25 mil a year is like fuck that. Then you factor in cap just went up 25% and he’s more like 1mil on old cap? Factor in third parties… Yeh I’d pay that. It’s high? Sure. Though if you got him at 8-850k you jump. Do you pass on that guy who’s arguably top 3-5 halfback and realistically the only option we can get? Not to mention what that provides to burton?

Gotta say you make a fair point here. From my past posts you’ll see I am less than enthused about someone like Moses coming to Dogs, as it will likely block pathways for the numerous “Gus young guns” coming through. But I’d agree we really need an “older experienced head” in our spine to short/medium term, mentor/ guide Burton and others AND bring success.
Eg. James Maloney & Cooper Cronk, the “calm experienced heads”, arguably did great jobs variously at the Storm (Cronk), Roosters (Maloney/Cronk), Sharks (Maloney) Panthers (Maloney), in my view, leading them to GF’s & leaving them in a good place, by helping to guide the next few generations coming through. Hence given the lack of experienced spine alternatives, Moses / Williams (Lomax?) would look to be the next best options available. However would be somewhat surprised if Gus went down that track. We will see soon I hope, if the club ever bothers to tell us supporters anything.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Halves pairings that would be better than Mitchell Moses-Matt Burton:

1. Cleary-Luai
2. Hughes-Munster

That's it. End of list. We would have the 3rd best halves combo in the NRL. People don't want that?
Keary and Walker

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Agree with this. As good as Burton may be, learning more a more experienced half would do wonders for him.

Okunbors Cradle Snatchers

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The negotiations are going to go on longer since the cap's been increased, I wouldn't expect an announcement anytime soon.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Halves need time to develop. Rajab states that he learned a lot already playing alongside Moses for Lebanon.

Compare that to the nightmare World Cup that Hayward had alongside an unknown halves partner.

You'd have to think based on that that if we sign Moses it'll be the last contract of his career, with him and Burto mentoring the next group of haves coming through.

You always need backup halves that are fairly good as well.

Club probably need to tighten the screws a bit on this one. Put an expiry period on the contract, and let Isaac Moses stew on it, whilst his client weighs up his options.

I'd give him somewhere in the vicinity of 7-14 days to make a decision, else the contract is null and void (and he's stuck with Parra who could then lowball him - or the Tigers in desperation - assuming they can afford him still).

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score
But I’d agree we really need an “older experienced head” in our spine to short/medium term, mentor/ guide Burton and others
Moses is gonna mentor Premiership winning, SOO and Aus rep Burton is he? Two out of three Moses has never done and the other done poorly. Is he gonna mentor Burton how to handle big game pressure?

Look, if, and I doubt we will, buy Moses, mentoring anyone is the furthest thing he’d be allowed near. Bloke needs a mentor himself. A lot of natural talent, an empty head.

Taylforth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Moses is gonna mentor Premiership winning, SOO and Aus rep Burton is he? Two out of three Moses has never done and the other done poorly. Is he gonna mentor Burton how to handle big game pressure?

Look, if, and I doubt we will, buy Moses, mentoring anyone is the furthest thing he’d be allowed near. Bloke needs a mentor himself. A lot of natural talent, an empty head.
Yeah, hence my concern about taking on Moses although Rajab (young kid still), claimed he benefitted from Moses. But I guess I am left to ask, if not him, who else is left? Not many choices.