News NRL’s season 2020 ad: Simply the best ... or simply divisive?

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Suppose it's alright if you like your footy with a dose of virtue signalling.

Last edited:

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I just watched the full original version of the ad after searching for it to see what the uproar was about. Previously I think I only caught glimpses of a different ad. It does fall a bit short of hitting the mark, but my main complaint is that the Mitchell draped in the flag bit feels like it was cut in later with the little girl singing with the actual music cut off. Really killed the continuity. But it did try to pack a lot into a short time.

As far as the ladies kissing goes, they've always promoted the mate against mate thing with team mates, this just highlights that to a different extent with a couple playing against each other in origin. It might offend a few people, but if you think it's taking political correctness too far, I think that you're getting a bit too sensitive.

For as long as I can remember the NRL ad campaigns have largely left a few people annoyed.

Perhaps they'd have been better served by picking a player from every club that plays for the club they grew up supporting and showing a child version watching a magic moment, followed by one of their own magic moments as an adult. This ad just didn't have continuity or much of a theme.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I just watched the full original version of the ad after searching for it to see what the uproar was about. Previously I think I only caught glimpses of a different ad. It does fall a bit short of hitting the mark, but my main complaint is that the Mitchell draped in the flag bit feels like it was cut in later with the little girl singing with the actual music cut off. Really killed the continuity. But it did try to pack a lot into a short time.

As far as the ladies kissing goes, they've always promoted the mate against mate thing with team mates, this just highlights that to a different extent with a couple playing against each other in origin. It might offend a few people, but if you think it's taking political correctness too far, I think that you're getting a bit too sensitive.

For as long as I can remember the NRL ad campaigns have largely left a few people annoyed.

Perhaps they'd have been better served by picking a player from every club that plays for the club they grew up supporting and showing a child version watching a magic moment, followed by one of their own magic moments as an adult. This ad just didn't have continuity or much of a theme.
Here's my problem, the objectives of the ad should be, in a short space of time, to attract people into attending and/or watching games. It's obvious to everyone that far too much of that short amount of time is spent on things that will obviously achieve neither objective. Plainly, as a result, they are out of context and have no real place in the ad. The only explanation is that they are there for another purpose altogether, which to most people is for PC reasons. Being so out of context, it's just noise, detracts from the effect of the ad (the publicity generated does not contribute to the ad's objectives) and as a result it doesn't achieve it's purpose.

Go Dogs

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Here's my problem, the objectives of the ad should be, in a short space of time, to attract people into attending and/or watching games. It's obvious to everyone that far too much of that short amount of time is spent on things that will obviously achieve neither objective. Plainly, as a result, they are out of context and have no real place in the ad. The only explanation is that they are there for another purpose altogether, which to most people is for PC reasons. Being so out of context, it's just noise, detracts from the effect of the ad (the publicity generated does not contribute to the ad's objectives) and as a result it doesn't achieve it's purpose.

Go Dogs
Political correctness in some ways can be an issue when it stops sensible discussion about issues. But in all honesty seeing a lot of people up in arms about 12ish seconds of a two minute ad really points out that tolerance is a bit lacking in society despite what many people say. If someone is so offended about seeing a lesbian couple or a player draped in the indigenous flag, they should be questioning that aspect of themselves. I don't really care if it's based on religious belief or views on racism.

To an extent I actually think that it's going to be helpful in the long run to have sensible discussion because of things like this. I agree that it doesn't necessarily benefit the continuity of the ad. But if in the long term it helps people to learn tolerance it's a good thing.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Political correctness in some ways can be an issue when it stops sensible discussion about issues. But in all honesty seeing a lot of people up in arms about 12ish seconds of a two minute ad really points out that tolerance is a bit lacking in society despite what many people say. If someone is so offended about seeing a lesbian couple or a player draped in the indigenous flag, they should be questioning that aspect of themselves. I don't really care if it's based on religious belief or views on racism.
I don't think that's the issue here (people aren't being offended by what they see) the issue is that the majority of discussion (hence publicity) is about the PC items in the ad, whether should be there or they should not be there. When the discussion/publicity should be totally about the new season just about to start. That's why the ad is a failure as it doesn't achieve it's sole objective, getting people talking/excited about the upcoming season.

To an extent I actually think that it's going to be helpful in the long run to have sensible discussion because of things like this. I agree that it doesn't necessarily benefit the continuity of the ad. But if in the long term it helps people to learn tolerance it's a good thing.
Absolutely, but that's not the purpose of a season launch ad. If you want to provide something that "helps people" then make an ad for that purpose. Mixed messages never work, particularly when one of them is so obviously PC motivated, tick the boxes.

Go Dogs

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't think that's the issue here (people aren't being offended by what they see) the issue is that the majority of discussion (hence publicity) is about the PC items in the ad, whether should be there or they should not be there. When the discussion/publicity should be totally about the new season just about to start. That's why the ad is a failure as it doesn't achieve it's sole objective, getting people talking/excited about the upcoming season.

Absolutely, but that's not the purpose of a season launch ad. If you want to provide something that "helps people" then make an ad for that purpose. Mixed messages never work, particularly when one of them is so obviously PC motivated, tick the boxes.

Go Dogs
Political correctness only becomes a big issue when people make a big issue of it. There's still around one minute and forty eight seconds of poorly assembled footage that failed to let people move past the twelve seconds of PC moments that have people talking. So you are correct about it failing as a launch video. I really think they could have made a better ad if they had focused on the kids living out their dreams aspect in more depth. In the end they did try to highlight how progressive they are and it's created an unpopular as as a result. It's not the first time the NRL has made poor quality ads. It's just a mountain out of a molehill situation as far as I'm concerned.

A

Alexander the Great

He is a legend. Was my barber for ages also before I moved out of the area.
Glad to see Bruno my old barber on there representing the Dogs!
His shop is actually in Campsie on Beamish Street not Belmore lol and as soon as you walk in you see a few Doggies framed jerseys as well as team posters memorabilia.
He's a die-hard fan!!

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Did you guys actually expect something good from the nrlol?

PS haven't seen it, but sounds like everyone except lefty agenda pushing poofs hate it.

PPS was the original used in 95? As every time I hear the song it reminds me of our 95 GF win.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
FFS it's easy to make a decent league ad, just show massive hits, fancy tries and having Rabs commentary when he is excited.

It's not fkn rocket science and obviously not part of the NRLol's agenda.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Nothing will be the original. Take a look at this... the fans were singing along with her. This was epic.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
I didn't think much about Sam Newman until I saw this - my respect for him went up more than just a couple of notches!
He is an arrogant wanker IMO but when it comes to telling it like it is he is great. Doesn't give a shit about being PC- it is really refreshing to see. And then you have Eddie McGuire, a yes man who will stick his nose up the arse of anyone if it will benefit himself. He's a deadset flog. Like an AFL version of Anasta pretty much.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Nothing will be the original. Take a look at this... the fans were singing along with her. This was epic.

Brilliant. Tina is a legend.
And the garbage they serve up these days on GF day, for the life of me I can't even remember who performed on GF day last year that's how forgettable the acts are recently.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Brilliant. Tina is a legend.
And the garbage they serve up these days on GF day, for the life of me I can't even remember who performed on GF day last year that's how forgettable the acts are recently.
I'm with you there. I remember Billy Idol in 2003, and Grinspoon in 2004 (for obvious reasons), then Pete Murray in 2005... I don't really know, remember or care about the others.