Nreaking News: DRS Ashes scandal

Status
Not open for further replies.

CB1935

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Channel 9 is reporting that players are using silicon-based tape on the the bat to beat hot-spot.

Developing story

BREAKING: A potential cricket scandal is brewing after the Nine Network tonight alleged that DRS Hot Spot technology has been targeted by batsman who are placing silicon-based tape on bats, in order to reduce the likelihood of a ‘hot’ edge showing.

Nine have claimed that ICC chiefs are heading to Durham ahead of the fourth Test to investigate the tape, which may be used to fox Hot Spot.

DRS technology has been hugely controversial in the current Ashes series, with Usman Khawaja sensationally given out despite a DRS review – with Hot Spot not showing an edge.

Kevin Pietersen suffered the same fate later in the Test, and Nine hinted at his use of tape, without naming him.

It is understood former NSW cricketer Dominic Thornley tweeted the GEM commentary team earlier during the second Test with information on the tape, which was discussed on-air at the time by Brett Lee and Ian Healy.

The legality of the tape is unclear.

The 2nd Spitter

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The legality of the tape is unclear.
I imagine it's not illegal --
-- No law against putting stickers on your bat. Most bats have stickers.
-- No different from Gilchrist using squash balls in his gloves.

BankstownBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I imagine it's not illegal --
-- No law against putting stickers on your bat. Most bats have stickers.
-- No different from Gilchrist using squash balls in his gloves.

I have to disagree with you there.

It is probably legal now because no-one thought about the tape and how it could be used to hide evidence of an edge.

Now that the loophole has been found I'm sure there will be a law put in place to stop this use. That's why sporting bodies review their rules etc as sportsman are always trying to get an edge (or hide one in this case).

Gilchrist used the squash ball to counteract the fact that he had been using a predominantly bottom hand grip. It meant that with the squash ball present he really had to rely on that top hand hence rectifying his bad habit.

IMO they are not even in the same stratosphere and are incomparable.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have to disagree with you there.

It is probably legal now because no-one thought about the tape and how it could be used to hide evidence of an edge.

Now that the loophole has been found I'm sure there will be a law put in place to stop this use. That's why sporting bodies review their rules etc as sportsman are always trying to get an edge (or hide one in this case).

Gilchrist used the squash ball to counteract the fact that he had been using a predominantly bottom hand grip. It meant that with the squash ball present he really had to rely on that top hand hence rectifying his bad habit.

IMO they are not even in the same stratosphere and are incomparable.
The squash ball is fine IMO! He was the only 1 good enough to use it.

I would love to smash a squash ball up Watson. He needs it the bonehead!

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
out of curiosity gray nicolls have their stickers go on the side of their bats

now if a ball hit would it show on hotspot?

Last edited by a moderator:

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
out of curiosity grey nicolls have their stickers go on the side of their bats

now if a ball hit would it show on hotspot?
True.

These coaches, trainers, players always look for how to bend the rules & improve the game. Its great as it shows new ideas & progression! Thats is sport, always looking for an edge (sorry for the pun)

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think they must have stuck tape over the umpires eyes

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Allegation has been dismissed by the ICC.

Status
Not open for further replies.