News 'Not that patient': Bulldogs on fast-track to success

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
We've been rock bottom for a long time now we're on the up, a lot of teams go through that faze you just noticed it more when it's your own team, thank god for Gus as without him we would still be rock bottom, CC could end up being a great coach but Gus is the one who gets the signatures imo.
Honesty we could have signed idk Holbrook instead of tbaz and probably miss out on CC who maybe could of went to tigers since it was a two way race between us and them. He would of brought critta to tigers and we would have had only burton and kiks. No salmon, no Kurt Mann, no Blake taffe, list goes on. I’m super happy and blessed that we are finally playing as a team and not as individuals. We concede tries but we start scoring back, years gone on we would put our head down like kids and lose games. This year we are in the fight with each team we’ve come up against. I know games like the parra and sharks were pretty crap. However we’ve learnt from these as it’s evident we produced massive amounts of efforts games gone by. We literally just need to fine tune our game plan so we’re in it for 80 minutes and not 70 minutes.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bulldogs halfback Drew Hutchison believes his team's reaction to close losses is the clearest sign they are on the path to long-term success.

Canterbury will enter round nine inside the top eight for the first time since 2016 courtesy of a number of impressive wins, including a last-start 36-12 victory over the Knights.

But it's the close losses to Melbourne and South Sydney that provide the biggest insight into the Bulldogs new mindset according to one of their key off-season recruits.

"When you lose a game to Melbourne down there and have the feeling of disappointment, that's what part of being in a good team is," Hutchison said. "Everyone could've said 'we did so well' but at the end of the day we weren't happy with the result.

"It's a good environment to be in when that's the case. We're not happy with where we're at, we want to get better. Every day we come in here to improve and we know we've got more in us."

Canterbury's recent resurgence comes after a lean period, with their last finals appearance coming in 2016.

Coach Cameron Ciraldo promised to turn the struggling club around when he stepped into the role prior to the 2023 season and he quickly commenced an overhaul of the roster.

Working alongside general manager Phil Gould, the pair have been busy in the recruitment market and landed a host of prized signings.

Viliame Kikau and Reed Mahoney arrived last year while Hutchison and new captain Stephen Crichton headline a list of 2024 recruits featuring Bronson Xerri, Josh Curran, Jaeman Salmon and Connor Tracey.

Ciraldo can see the steps the Bulldogs have taken since last season but feels there is plenty of work to do before they reach their peak.

"We're on a different part of our journey to a lot of other teams but I'm very happy with where we're heading," he said. "We've shown a lot of consistency to start the season.

"We put ourselves into a position to win another two or three games and we didn't ice them. If we had have done that I would've been happy and thought we were exactly where we needed to be.

"We've only won three games, no one's getting ahead of ourselves here. There's a lot of hard work to be done and it starts this Saturday."

The recent arrivals have played a key role in this year's growth, with Kikau in career-best form after battling a string of injuries in 2023. Josh Addo-Carr is also healthy and Crichton has thrived in the centres.

The Bulldogs have another chance to take a big step forward when they host the Wests Tigers on Saturday afternoon.

Benji Marshall's side is dangerous, but it's a game Canterbury should expect to win if they want to challenge the top teams in the competition.

Ciraldo has always known the Bulldogs rebuild was not an overnight process but he views each game as an important marker of where they're at.

"I'm happy with where we're tracking but I'm also not that patient," he said. "I want to get there faster.

"I want us to be a really strong club where everyone knows what they're going to get, a really consistent team. We're tracking there, but not there yet."
BUT not there yet...WHY NOT ? :fearscream:
You call yourself a coach :laughing:

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My only concern going forward is game management when it gets tight.
Making the right plays to keep the pressure on the oppostion and not pressure on ourselves.

Juniorluke

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Honesty we could have signed idk Holbrook instead of tbaz and probably miss out on CC who maybe could of went to tigers since it was a two way race between us and them. He would of brought critta to tigers and we would have had only burton and kiks. No salmon, no Kurt Mann, no Blake taffe, list goes on. I’m super happy and blessed that we are finally playing as a team and not as individuals. We concede tries but we start scoring back, years gone on we would put our head down like kids and lose games. This year we are in the fight with each team we’ve come up against. I know games like the parra and sharks were pretty crap. However we’ve learnt from these as it’s evident we produced massive amounts of efforts games gone by. We literally just need to fine tune our game plan so we’re in it for 80 minutes and not 70 minutes.
Sharks game could have been very different. We should have been 12-0 up.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't want to get to carried away.
We still lost to souths who are at the bottom of the ladder.

We need some consistent wins before we get excited.

Beating the tigers,
But not just winning, being in control the entire game and winning by being clearly the better team, that would be nice.
I wish souths would win another game . . . It's embarrassing to be the only team they've beaten :tearsofjoy:

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you asked me last year how long it would take to be where we currently sit I would have said 2026. I know it’s only 3 wins but it really should be 5.

amazingly for us some of the other clubs are literally falling apart before our eyes. South Sydney and Parramatta look destined to fall away. Canberra look terrible so by just going about our business and getting the little things right our movement from 13th ranked team to that group of teams from 4th to 8th is just happening without us having to do much.

looking at Souths now is like looking at us in 2017. The window is over. The juniors are non existent and the ageing roster problems just get worse week after week. They are in for a monster slide down the ladder.
Cant get much lower than they are.........har har..

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I wish souths would win another game . . . It's embarrassing to be the only team they've beaten :tearsofjoy:
Haha, I can live with it.
Souths are my current most hated team.
I'm loving how that are capitulated

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Haha, I can live with it.
Souths are my current most hated team.
I'm loving how that are capitulated
They used to be my 2nd favourite team . . . Since 2014, I just want them to come 2nd every week

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My only concern going forward is game management when it gets tight.
Making the right plays to keep the pressure on the oppostion and not pressure on ourselves.
That's obvious captain :laughing: