News 'No scattergun approach': Cashed-up Dogs happy to wait for key targets

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Is this clown serious? Hooker ffs. Also all good to
Say that but disregards chn gone?

Guessing he’s playing it down to stop us being milked.

Hooker - maybe Clarke as don’t see much else available. first and most urgent.

Half - burton. Enough said.

Prop - wamsley sounds good. If not fisher Harris or someone big an Agro!

Back - if addo carr isn’t one then maybe sione Katoa or someone who won’t break the bank. Bird if paid a lot from broncos.

With our current backs if Meaney clicks at fullback or Jake and at worst hoppa we aren’t to bad!

Backs :

Meaney/Jake/hoppa fullback options
Dwz/Smith/ or maybe Katoa wingers
Centre - Cotric/bird/Jake/Hoppa /lafai maybe hangs about

As I said bird or Katoa type
Signing we all of sudden strong.

6. Foran (big pay cut)
7. Burton

Wakeham Lewis here (unless he’s goes to make room, someone will take him)

8. Thompson/wamsley
9. Clarke
10. Napa (gone asap if he doesn’t fire the duck up)

11. Rfm
12. Fisher Harris/Jackson
13. Jackson/Thompson

Depends if we get an out and out prop like wamsley or a bloke like fisher Harris who could shift jacko to lock and Thompson to prop?

14. Renouf
15. Ogden
16. Katoa
17. Jake some back we can carry for cover/impact.

Fuck me.

Clarke - hooker
Burton - half
Wamsley/fisher Harris type bloke - big body hard nut
Bird with major part paid/Katoa someone like that who won’t break the bank.

There is no way this isn’t realistic with about 2mil.

He says “about that” (3mil) before signing Thompson, cotric and extending rfm and wakeham. Can’t be much in extensions surely. Rfm wasn’t banging the door down for a big one. Wakeham sure as shit ain’t. Probz 1.5 in cotric and Thompson.
I
Then also chn gone... add a pretty sum back ?

Let’s go *****. Ffs

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are plenty of hooking options out there, we just need to land the right fit in what direction baz intends on coaching towards.
Friend
Roache
Starling
Granville
Props available
Jesse bromich
John asiata
Jack hethrington
Plenty of options in other postions available we just need to get the best fit for our club

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kotoa & JMK will be hookers, agree re a big tough prick (i went to type 'a big hard prick') but Tolman has been a great club servant, we do need a JWH type player...you know, the one Napa was supposed to be
Wakey fucken wakey,we need a hooker,yes a prop is a must a big tough prick,move on from tolman,

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
For me there’s no doubt about that mate:
View attachment 16201

The last two weeks have proven the club is on the move and if they say too much or move too quickly we’ll end up with buyers regret either by the wrong signings or paying too much for them. Hopefully we learned that lesson last time.

Nice to have the upper hand back :-).
If my memory serves me right, Barrett did say the players we get need to be spot on. So I think Barrett may also be weighing in on not rushing to buy players, which is a good thing, it’s a sensible thing. Take your time BUT get it right this time!

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep i think they are trying to play down how much money we have in the cap to stop these greedy managers taking us for a ride.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
The report was we had 3m before we signed Cotric, RFM and Wakeham. Those three would be on a combined ~1.1m. If that report was right we'd have about ~1.9m left to spend. Which is enough to get a top hooker (B. Smith, Grant, Hunt, McInnes, Clark), a half (Burton) and an upgrade in another area we need strengthening (or two depending on calibre). I'd also re-sign Elliott which would take another ~500k out of our spending, but it isn't looking like we're doing that. I always thought we had slightly more than 3m to spend (closer to 4m - before we signed Cotric), but with Hill saying what he has maybe we don't.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
If we save our money and wait, talent will pop up guaranteed.
We just spent a few years doing it the hard way and the current squad just proved it can dig deep on Sunday.
Be optimistic for 2021.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
If we save our money and wait, talent will pop up guaranteed.
We just spent a few years doing it the hard way and the current squad just proved it can dig deep on Sunday.
Be optimistic for 2021.
I think that's hard to do after we've all suffered for three years already as is. We need to be competing for the eight starting next year.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Maybe Alex walmesley pretty highly touted and played with Thompson, was a little bit of talk they wanted him innitially along with thompson but it never amounted to much
That English front row would be exactly what we need!

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I hope Hill is just being coy in the media and playing his cards close to his chest when referring to how much cap space we have left.

If it's any less than $2 million left after releasing CHN and maybe letting Tolman and Elliott leave, then we're in trouble as we need more than just another three or four signings.

Obviously hooker and half are the biggest issues. Another prop would be nice but it should be the last priority.
That was my initial thought. Dispelling any thoughts of player managers squeezing us for more is just proper business.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think that's hard to do after we've all suffered for three years already as is. We need to be competing for the eight starting next year.
How many players wake up each year disgruntled and say they want a new club?
With Barrett named there should be some names thinking about being part of Canterbury's new start.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Is this clown serious? Hooker ffs. Also all good to
Say that but disregards chn gone?

Guessing he’s playing it down to stop us being milked.

Hooker - maybe Clarke as don’t see much else available. first and most urgent.

Half - burton. Enough said.

Prop - wamsley sounds good. If not fisher Harris or someone big an Agro!

Back - if addo carr isn’t one then maybe sione Katoa or someone who won’t break the bank. Bird if paid a lot from broncos.

With our current backs if Meaney clicks at fullback or Jake and at worst hoppa we aren’t to bad!

Backs :

Meaney/Jake/hoppa fullback options
Dwz/Smith/ or maybe Katoa wingers
Centre - Cotric/bird/Jake/Hoppa /lafai maybe hangs about

As I said bird or Katoa type
Signing we all of sudden strong.

6. Foran (big pay cut)
7. Burton

Wakeham Lewis here (unless he’s goes to make room, someone will take him)

8. Thompson/wamsley
9. Clarke
10. Napa (gone asap if he doesn’t fire the duck up)

11. Rfm
12. Fisher Harris/Jackson
13. Jackson/Thompson

Depends if we get an out and out prop like wamsley or a bloke like fisher Harris who could shift jacko to lock and Thompson to prop?

14. Renouf
15. Ogden
16. Katoa
17. Jake some back we can carry for cover/impact.

Fuck me.

Clarke - hooker
Burton - half
Wamsley/fisher Harris type bloke - big body hard nut
Bird with major part paid/Katoa someone like that who won’t break the bank.

There is no way this isn’t realistic with about 2mil.

He says “about that” (3mil) before signing Thompson, cotric and extending rfm and wakeham. Can’t be much in extensions surely. Rfm wasn’t banging the door down for a big one. Wakeham sure as shit ain’t. Probz 1.5 in cotric and Thompson.
I
Then also chn gone... add a pretty sum back ?

Let’s go c***. Ffs
Lafai hangs about ;)

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I am going to trust the club fully on this. I was worried 2 weeks ago but they have made some great moves recently. I feel we are in good hands now especially with the Laundy family involved and Barrett on board. Congrats to the Andersons, the board, Andrew Hill and everyone else involved.
Nice to see someone put their hand up and acknowledge this. I lost faith in Pay as our coach, but not the board. Im glad they have vindicated my faith!@

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I would have targeted Walmsley 1st, so if this is true I have a semi-chub..

P.S I love Thommo, but if we get bookends..LOOK OUT.

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We should be going after josh ado Carr. This is silly, unless hill isn’t telling us everything

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canterbury have no interest in Curtis Scott. Nor Josh Addo-Carr. There will be no Josh Reynolds' homecoming next year.

Jack Bird would have some appeal if Brisbane tipped in north of $500,000 for next year. There has been some interest in another high-profile English prop who could join countryman Luke Thompson at Belmore next year. And there is hope Kieran Foran will ink a new one-year extension.

Canterbury CEO Andrew Hill did his best to separate fact from fiction as the club finally announced a new front-of-jersey sponsor on Tuesday.

Laundy Hotels will join forces with the Bulldogs until the end of 2022, with Arthur Laundy, whose family own more than 60 hotels across NSW, including nearly a dozen spread out across the Canterbury area, admitting: "The area has been good to me, so it was an appropriate time to get mobile and do something for them''.

Since Trent Barrett was announced last week as the Dogs' new head coach for 2021 and beyond, his and Hill's phones have not stopped ringing with interest from potential signings.

For the record, Canterbury started with 17 interested coaches - Craig Bellamy and Wayne Bennett were not among them - before whittling down their shortlist to four and then ultimately going with Barrett. Hill said Penrith had been great and any roster management would be done with Barrett in his own time.

The Dogs are keen on another front-rower, playmaker and outside back, but will not rush to market and even wait to see what happens at rivals New Zealand and North Queensland once new coaches come in and make calls on their own rosters.

The supposed $3m war chest they have to splash on players next year was also a myth

"The figure that keeps getting bandied around about how much we have to spend, that was more accurate before Christmas,'' said Hill, as he celebrated the sponsorship deal at the Twin Willows Hotel in Bass Hill.

"Since then we've signed Luke Thompson, Nick Cotric, extended Ray Faitala-Mariner and Brandon Wakeham, so that figure keeps coming down.

"We're an easy target at the moment. We have a clear plan about where we're heading. We have a reasonable amount of money left to spend on good talent. We have to hold our nerve.

"There are a few clubs going through a transitional period of their own with new coaches coming in to make decisions. And we have to be ready to take advantage of those opportunities when they present themselves.

"There will be no scatter-gun approach from us. The players we've been linked to, we're talking less than half of those names we've actually talked to.''

Club great Terry Lamb would love to see Foran remain at the club in 2021 and said: "He's playing great for us, he has experience, he's been through a rough trot [with injuries], but I like him. He takes the line on, sets plays up, he's just a natural footballer.''

Lamb also liked Barrett, and even though he had not come through the Bulldogs ranks, pointed out he was close with club great Andrew Farrar.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/no...-to-wait-for-key-targets-20200728-p55gbh.html
If Baz and our board is as diligent and prudent as I would like to think they are then they should NOT be signing any "rockstars" with crazy price tags. If you sign a half or hooker at $1m each then its a recipe for disaster when they get injured for extended periods ala Foran. We need some redundancy in our key spine positions so for eg it's better to get 2 young and talented hookers like Starling etc that won't break the bank rather than throw $900+ at a single player unless its a proven Cameron Smith equivalent and 15 years younger. No forward is worth $1m. They are battering rams, will be gang tackled by the opposition and wont last more than a few seasons at their best before being injury prone and then becoming a salary cap liability. Watch Fifita decline at the Titans over the next 3 years. A simple measuring stick is this: Is the player we're looking at signing good enough to make the Chooks or Storm line up or bench or worst case scenario their top 20 players? If not then that's a red flag. In our golden era of the 80's we only had two superstars in Mortimer and Lamb, the rest of our teams in that decade were either top class or solid players but not superstars. They should be looking at creating a champion team rather than a team of champions which also helps us at Origin and Test time when none of them gets picked.