No Ben Barba and no thoughts of revenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No Ben Barba and no thoughts of revenge - that's how Canterbury say they are preparing for Thursday's NRL grand final rematch against Melbourne.

Barba trained with his Bulldogs teammates on Monday for the first time since he was suspended indefinitely on February 25 over gambling and alcohol issues.

But coach Des Hasler said the club was putting Barba's welfare first and would not rush the superstar fullback into his side for the highly anticipated round three encounter at AAMI Park.

"Is he going to play against Melbourne? No he won't play," Hasler said on Monday.

"This early in the competition we won't be making any rash decisions related to Ben's welfare.

"So at the moment I can't give an answer on his immediate comeback. That will probably come midway through next week when he has got some solid training under his belt."

Hasler said the two weeks Barba had spent dealing with his issues at a private clinic had been worthwhile but he was not yet ready to return to the NRL.

"The program that Ben underwent was just fantastic for him so we are really pleased," Hasler said.

"I don't think the time away would have set him back a long way at all. In fact, it might not have set him back at all.

"Physically, he is OK so (the decision on when Barba returns) it will be made by our HP (high performance) department. And we will be making that decision halfway through next week."

Hasler said premiers Melbourne have maintained their high standards of 2012 across the opening two rounds this season which have produced wins over St George Illawarra and North Queensland.

"No thoughts of revenge ... we just want to play well down there," Hasler said.

"I don't mean to be flying under the radar but they are playing very well.

"They have picked up where they left off last year. It's a good test for us and we need to bring our `A game'. I don't think it is difficult for any side to get up for a game against Melbourne."

Five-eighth Josh Reynolds echoed Hasler's sentiments.

"Last year was a big game for us but this is just another game," he said.

"We just have to go into it with a calm mind. They are already on the ball and it is only round two."

Hasler also said Sam Kasiano and Frank Pritchard (both leg injuries) were both not yet fit to return.

jake6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If you read anything into Pritchards tweets , it looks like he could be out for a while

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
Really feel for Sammy, when I spoke to him in Belmore during our trial match against the Jets, he said he couldn't wait to get back....Unlucky. Wish him a speed recovery:( He will be missed until he returns.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Just me or is fairly unacceptable that our best players are injured before the season even started? What the ....!

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Under the radar strategy in effect.

Klem Bupa-Berg

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Barba is back at training and for a few weeks will help improve Drury Low. Dont expect barba to play until the hyped Roosters game, and take spotlight off SBW.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lamb to the slaughter boys, there will be no joy this thursday.

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
Just me or is fairly unacceptable that our best players are injured before the season even started? What the ....!
I agree. The entire coaching staff should be sacked for allowing them out of the cotton wool they were wrapped in

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
Its not unacceptable, they are human..injuries happen. I think both injuries occurred during off season training, maybe that break in between didn't do much good..these things happen though, and its better to get them out of the way now, rather than later in the season.
Not expecting great things from them, the first couple of weeks they return, they will hit danger mode when it matters most. I have no doubt.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I agree. The entire coaching staff should be sacked for allowing them out of the cotton wool they were wrapped in
Nah that would be excessive mate, maybe intorduce them to you might deter them in the future!

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Its not unacceptable, they are human..injuries happen. I think both injuries occurred during off season training, maybe that break in between didn't do much good..these things happen though, and its better to get them out of the way now, rather than later in the season.
Not expecting great things from them, the first couple of weeks they return, they will hit danger mode when it matters most. I have no doubt.
True that just a shame to start the season without so many players.

Status
Not open for further replies.