• Adam O'Brien

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Nathan Brown

Votes: 11 8.4%

• Total voters

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus did say that he told Barrett that he was not a Bulldog but a Dragon, he also said Fitler is a Rooster and not a Bulldog

I think this is one of the reasons he put Potter in as Interim over Furner and the other two clowns

What I have seen from Flanagan, he has the demeanour and attitude of a Bulldog and his son is currently a Bulldog

Sticky was a player and coach and if you could turn back time, I'd love to have him and Clyde playing #7 and #13 respectively

I think its a two horse race between Sticky and Flanagan and I reckon Gus has given the job to Sticky

Point being the both of them working at the Roosters and NSW and knowing each other inside out, and point 2 being that Sticky was a player and coach at the Dogs
When you out things in this perspective It does not seem to bad.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is done as in a done deal or finished out of contention?
Flanagan spruiking his wares on that podcast has left Gus & certain board members perplexed….. particularly “ you haven’t seen the best from Kyle…” line.In other words he’s my #1 choice at 7.
Whereas the Club are desperately trying to offload him & contribute significant freight to do so…

Last edited:

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
Michael Hagan. Won 2 premierships as a Bulldogs player. Played Origin. Coached Newcastle to a premiership. Origin and Australian team coaching experience.
Out of the head coaching role for more than a decade- would make an ideal Football Manager/Director of Coaching
I noticed him the other week in the cowboys coaches box. Not sure if he just got on board this year but it's probably no coincidence that the cowboys are doing so well with him on the payroll. Everything he has been a part of, he's had some sort of success.
And having a great support staff is just as important as having a decent coach, if not more (see Ivan Cleary)

If I were Gus, I'd be hassling him day and night for that assistant role.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I noticed him the other week in the cowboys coaches box. Not sure if he just got on board this year but it's probably no coincidence that the cowboys are doing so well with him on the payroll. Everything he has been a part of, he's had some sort of success.
And having a great support staff is just as important as having a decent coach, if not more (see Ivan Cleary)

If I were Gus, I'd be hassling him day and night for that assistant role.
Always rated Hagan.
From his QLD tenure to Newcastle.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just watching the post match press conference from last week and previously watched Potter's mid-week interview and I must say, I'm warming to the idea of him staying on. He clearly has a good technical knowledge and I loved his response to a question re: scoring tries on the right side which hasn't been common this season. He said the field is 68 metres wide, so he thought they should use it all lol. I love that common sense perspective. I mean it is a simple game really. I also like that he calls it as he sees it. He won't throw someone under the bus, but he will admit they need to improve in certain areas, like when questioned about Dufty, and do his positives outweigh his negatives. He admitted he cost us in defence, but said he'd have to look at ways to improve that. That's a great way to respond tbh. He's making them accountable without shaming them. He was also very clear about the goal line defence being "non-existent". Jacko agreed too. I don't remember Baz being that frank.

Like I said before, he has plenty of games to win the job if he wants it and so far he has the team attacking the best it has all season. If he can get the defence in order, we may actually win some more games.

Last edited:

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How I'm Reading It As Of Today.

it's been almost 3 weeks since Baz left and we are all thinking why is this taking so long to appoint our new coach.

Important Points To Consider-

1. Gus said publicly that he was shocked by Baz decision to quit, so if Gus quickly appoints someone else it would show that Gus was preparing to axe Baz anyways - not that Gus gives a shit too much about what others think.

2. There is a lot of detail involved before you finalise a deal with a coach, including the negotiation of support staff that an incoming coach would request and so on.

3. If the coach you are chasing is currently employed elsewhere, then the timing of the announcement may be on their terms.

My Thoughts Moving Forward-

1. If we do not announce Shane Flanagan as our new coach by our next game V's Eels, then I don't think he is the one as he is probably the one candidate that could relinquish his current role effective immediate (at the Dragqueens). The same could be said for Paul Green, Jim Dymock, Geoff Toovey & other out of contract coaches.

Apart from Gus not wanting him, there would be no other reason not to have any of these above coaches appointed in the next fortnight IMO.
You could probably add Christian Woolf into this category as well because I see no other reason for not announcing him as he has long expressed a desire to coach in the NRL.

Flannagan - If it's not soon, then it never will be IMO. Lot's of pluses for Flanno, but we have one big point that goes against him - his son.
An old boss of mine got very upset with me when I employed one of my supervisor's sisters. He said it is very dangerous as when you have an issue with one, you have an issue with both. It won't be any different here, & as Kyle is borderline 1st grade, you'd bet there will be issues.

2. If our wait goes beyond the next fortnight, it clearly means that Gus's man currently has another role where he wants to exit in the right manner without causing too much upheaval in his current position at his current club.

We play the Panthers for the second time this year this upcoming Friday, so if it were to be Ciraldo it could happen early next week OR when Penrith have the bye before Origin 3.

If the announcement comes after Origin then I believe it will be either Fitler or Ciraldo.

Ciraldo - He seems to be the most promoted Assistant coach in the game, similar to Craig Fitzgibbon. He is unproven, but I see more upside in him than most of the others & apparently works very well with Gus and you know Gus won't have it any other way. IMO, he is in Gus's final 3.

Fitler - Not proven at Club level and IMO would be a huge risk. Furthermore of all the candidates, I see Fitler as the biggest Anti Antything Bulldogs there is. Also, he has the best combination of jobs in the game, why replace that with a 16 hour a day, 7 day a week job? It makes no sense IMO.

Madge - If the winning candidate is Madge (and I hope to dear God that it isn't) it will happen weeks after the Tigers sack him or at the years end.
I am hopeful though that Gus isn't stupid enough to sack the 16th place coach in favour of replacing him with the 15th place coach... That's just Dumb.

IF WE WAIT TILL SEPTEMBER -
To me, this clearly means that our next coach is a current head coach elsewhere.
IMO these candidates would only include Ricky Stuart, Todd Payten & perhaps with less of a chance Justin Hoolbrook.

Bellamy, Hasler, O'Brien, Cleary, Robinson, Fitzgibbon, Walters, Demetriou, Arthur, Brown, Griffin & Bennett just don't make sense right now & IMO won't happen.

Ricky Stuart - Currently contracted until the end of the 2023 season.
Interestingly it was reported around a week and a half ago on the local news down here in Canberra that the Raiders had offered Ricky a 2 year extension for which he responded to by saying he will wait until the end of the year to enter negotiations.
This has me worried big time. Why would a coach with a struggling side in the comfort of being in his own home town knock back securing his future for a further 2 years. This announcement sprung up only a week after Baz left, telling me that the Raiders may be concerned about their coach leaving.
I hope to God Gus does not Hire Ricky because of their great relationship. He will get us up for 2 years & then it will be back to square one as his players get sick of him very quickly, just like the current squad he has now.

Todd Payten - Currently contracted until the end of the 2023 season.
IMO, Todd is the best current young coach currently in the NRL.
He is a straight shooter who doesn't take crap and certainly knows how to improve a footy team - Just look at what he did at the Warriors & now at the Cows.
If it were up to me, Todd would be our man as I see him as the next supercoach.

Justin Hoolbrook - Currently contracted until the end of the 2024 season.
IMO, the least likely of these 3 options as he has yet to truly prove himself in the NRL and still has a further 2 years after tis year on his current contract. Watching his press conferences recently have reminded me of watching Baz all over again - He has no answers & we don't want that again.

IF Gus is going to hire one of these contracted guys, it will confirm the basis to his comments when he said that he is looking forward to having a coach in place by September.
How he does this is by simply following the blue print that Greenberg took when he hired Hasler 1 year in advance for the season after his current contract would expire and announce that current Interim Mick Potter would remain as head coach until he arrived.
We all know that the situation at his current club would become untenable & they would severe ties a year early, just as Hasler did.

MY PICK

TODD PAYTEN
If it were me making the decision and he was willing to negotiate a way out of his current deal, I'd hire Todd Payten.
I really like what I have seen from him in his short coaching career as well as having great success coaching the lower grades.
He won't take shit, but is still young enough to understand & interact with young players and I also see him as a coach who has adapted & understands the game of today.

THE 3 IN THE FRAME - In my opinion Gus's Frame, but I could be way off

- Cameron Ciraldo
- Ricky Stuart
- Todd Payten

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
How I'm Reading It As Of Today.

it's been almost 3 weeks since Baz left and we are all thinking why is this taking so long to appoint our new coach.

Important Points To Consider-

1. Gus said publicly that he was shocked by Baz decision to quit, so if Gus quickly appoints someone else it would show that Gus was preparing to axe Baz anyways - not that Gus gives a shit too much about what others think.

2. There is a lot of detail involved before you finalise a deal with a coach, including the negotiation of support staff that an incoming coach would request and so on.

3. If the coach you are chasing is currently employed elsewhere, then the timing of the announcement may be on their terms.

My Thoughts Moving Forward-

1. If we do not announce Shane Flanagan as our new coach by our next game V's Eels, then I don't think he is the one as he is probably the one candidate that could relinquish his current role effective immediate (at the Dragqueens). The same could be said for Paul Green, Jim Dymock, Geoff Toovey & other out of contract coaches.

Apart from Gus not wanting him, there would be no other reason not to have any of these above coaches appointed in the next fortnight IMO.
You could probably add Christian Woolf into this category as well because I see no other reason for not announcing him as he has long expressed a desire to coach in the NRL.

Flannagan - If it's not soon, then it never will be IMO. Lot's of pluses for Flanno, but we have one big point that goes against him - his son.
An old boss of mine got very upset with me when I employed one of my supervisor's sisters. He said it is very dangerous as when you have an issue with one, you have an issue with both. It won't be any different here, & as Kyle is borderline 1st grade, you'd bet there will be issues.

2. If our wait goes beyond the next fortnight, it clearly means that Gus's man currently has another role where he wants to exit in the right manner without causing too much upheaval in his current position at his current club.

We play the Panthers for the second time this year this upcoming Friday, so if it were to be Ciraldo it could happen early next week OR when Penrith have the bye before Origin 3.

If the announcement comes after Origin then I believe it will be either Fitler or Ciraldo.

Ciraldo - He seems to be the most promoted Assistant coach in the game, similar to Craig Fitzgibbon. He is unproven, but I see more upside in him than most of the others & apparently works very well with Gus and you know Gus won't have it any other way. IMO, he is in Gus's final 3.

Fitler - Not proven at Club level and IMO would be a huge risk. Furthermore of all the candidates, I see Fitler as the biggest Anti Antything Bulldogs there is. Also, he has the best combination of jobs in the game, why replace that with a 16 hour a day, 7 day a week job? It makes no sense IMO.

Madge - If the winning candidate is Madge (and I hope to dear God that it isn't) it will happen weeks after the Tigers sack him or at the years end.
I am hopeful though that Gus isn't stupid enough to sack the 16th place coach in favour of replacing him with the 15th place coach... That's just Dumb.

IF WE WAIT TILL SEPTEMBER -
To me, this clearly means that our next coach is a current head coach elsewhere.
IMO these candidates would only include Ricky Stuart, Todd Payten & perhaps with less of a chance Justin Hoolbrook.

Bellamy, Hasler, O'Brien, Cleary, Robinson, Fitzgibbon, Broncos, Demetriou, Arthur, Brown, Griffin & Bennett just don't make sense right now & IMO won't happen.

Ricky Stuart - Currently contracted until the end of the 2023 season.
Interestingly it was reported around a week and a half ago on the local news down here in Canberra that the Raiders had offered Ricky a 2 year extension for which he responded to by saying he will wait until the end of the year to entre negotiations.
This has me worried big time. Why would a coach with a struggling side in the comfort of being in his own home town knock back securing his future for a further 2 years. This announcement sprung up only a week after Baz left, telling me that the Raiders may be concerned about their coach leaving.
I hope to God Gus does not Hire Ricky because of their great relationship. He will get us up for 2 years & then it will be back to square one as his players get sick of him very quickly, just like the current squad he has now.

Todd Payten - Currently contracted until the end of the 2023 season.
IMO, Todd is the best current young coach currently in the NRL.
He is a straight shooter who doesn't take crap and certainly knows how to improve a footy team - Just look at what he did at the Warriors & now at the Cows.
If it were up to me, Todd would be our man as I see him as the next supercoach.

Justin Hoolbrook - Currently contracted until the end of the 2024 season.
IMO, the least likely of these 3 options as he has yet to truly prove himself in the NRL and still has a further 2 years after tis year on his current contract. Watching his press conferences recently have reminded me of watching Baz all over again - He has no answers & we don't want that again.

IF Gus is going to hire one of these contracted guys, it will confirm the basis to his comments when he said that he is looking forward to having a coach in place by September.
How he does this is by simply following the blue print that Greenberg took when he hired Hasler 1 year in advance for the season after his current contract would expire and announce that current Interim Mick Potter would remain as head coach until he arrived.
We all know that the situation at his current club would become untenable & they would severe ties a year early, just as Hasler did.

MY PICK

TODD PAYTEN
If it were me making the decision and he was willing to negotiate a way out of his current deal, I'd hire Todd Payten.
I really like what I have seen from him in his short coaching career as well as having great success coaching the lower grades.
He won't take shit, but is still young enough to understand & interact with young players and I also see him as a coach who has adapted & understands the game of today.

- Cameron Ciraldo
- Ricky Stuart
- Todd Payten
You wrote all of that and didn't mention Kristian Woolf, his contract is up at the end of (hello) September when the ESL season finishes.

Always a Bulldog

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You wrote all of that and didn't mention Kristian Woolf, his contract is up at the end of (hello) September when the ESL season finishes.

Always a Bulldog
Hi Twin

"Hello"
Yes, I did.

I mentioned that I don't see any reason not to announce him in the next couple of weeks is he is our man.

In the following........

"Apart from Gus not wanting him, there would be no other reason not to have any of these above coaches appointed in the next fortnight IMO.
You could probably add Christian Woolf into this category as well because I see no other reason for not announcing him as he has long expressed a desire to coach in the NRL."

I can't comment on his coaching because I don't follow the ESL.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking from the outside as an opposition supporter, I cannot see Paul Green joining you guys as I do not see Gus working with Queenslandres whatsoever.

Whoever is going to be the Coach will have to put up with Gus’s shit or tell him to take a hike.
Anthony griffin not a qlder?
There will always be pressure for dogs coach. If not gus, they have to put up with fans.

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really think it will be Brad Fittler. He really wants to get back into full time coaching and gets on really well with Gus. Fittler will definitely attract players to our club.

Froggo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I love how everybody knows who Gus likes and dislikes. I bet there isn't 1 person in the kennel who knows Gus. Maybe a few pretenders who see him at the leagues club across a room.

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really think it will be Brad Fittler. He really wants to get back into full time coaching and gets on really well with Gus. Fittler will definitely attract players to our club.
Laugh all you want, story has just come up on yahoo news. About Fittler maybe going to the Bulldogs. It makes sense, Gus doesn’t want to make a decision until September - which gives Freddy enough time to sort his commitments out with Origin. These two have been mates for years.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who says we need a coach?
We play like an uncoached team anyway...
Why change our routine?

Reactions: obe

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Just watching the post match press conference from last week and previously watched Potter's mid-week interview and I must say, I'm warming to the idea of him staying on. He clearly has a good technical knowledge and I loved his response to a question re: scoring tries on the right side which hasn't been common this season. He said the field is 68 metres wide, so he thought they should use it all lol. I love that common sense perspective. I mean it is a simple game really. I also like that he calls it as he sees it. He won't throw someone under the bus, but he will admit they need to improve in certain areas, like when questioned about Dufty, and do his positives outweigh his negatives. He admitted he cost us in defence, but said he'd have to look at ways to improve that. That's a great way to respond tbh. He's making them accountable without shaming them. He was also very clear about the goal line defence being "non-existent". Jacko agreed too. I don't remember Baz being that frank.

Like I said before, he has plenty of games to win the job if he wants it and so far he has the team attacking the best it has all season. If he can get the defence in order, we may actually win some more games.
He doesn't want the job and Don Gustavo doesn't want him either.

Think of this year as a mate helping out a mate.

Bullpit

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like the tigers and the Warriors will be looking for a new coach in a couple of weeks. More competition for us to get our choice of coach, whoever that is!

Reactions: 88

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
MY PICK

TODD PAYTEN

- Cameron Ciraldo
- Ricky Stuart
- Todd Payten
Todd payten expressed his desire to coach the tigers. If they sack Madge he will jump at the chance. Dogs no chance of getting him.