News "News" More Burton media dribble

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How doe these people even have a job in "journalism" when they can't even spell "cheque"!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Two ways to look at it for sure. Maybe he is worth 700k as of last night but would you loose the next big thing for not chucking an extra 200 cause it’s ‘overpriced’.
I think we're going to have to meet in the middle somewhere. I'd be happy paying Burton 800k.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Two ways to look at it for sure. Maybe he is worth 700k as of last night but would you loose the next big thing for not chucking an extra 200 cause it’s ‘overpriced’.
Let me put it this way....

Do you think 'next big thing' Burton on 900k is better value than say 'current big thing' Munster on 1.2M? Or Ben Hunt on 1M? Or even DCE on 1M? Or Cleary on 1.2M?

Coz the 3 guys I mentioned have already either led or carried their teams to GFs or won a premiership. They also have very good kicking games. Not as big boot as Burton but I'd argue more trick and controlled kicking games, especially Cleary, DCE and Hunt.

I just feel he hasn't yet proven himself as an elite half. And until he does, he shouldn't be paid on the potential.

Ezra Mam has played 4 games and shown more potential as a playmaker than Burton has.

Having said that..... we dont have any other 1M players at the club (although we are paying silly money to TPJ, Thompson and next year add Kikau too). Kikau deserves his money on last 2 years form but let's see if he can maintain that kind of form with us.

We are one club that can take a punt on Burton's 'potential' as we arent really in a premiership 'window' for at least 4 or 5 years and so if he uses up a large chunk of cap space, it only sets us back afew more years.

If we didn't spend wisely the 300-400k we can give Burton on a good halfback, and lost Burton as a result, id be pissed off. But I'd be equally pissed off if we didn't sign a good halfback to lead him and the team around and he was made to look 'overpriced' due to us feeling the cap squeeze.

I think paying big money on middle and edge forwards is going to screw us around again

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He’s having to do both roles of a 6 and 7. You won’t see his real potential until he’s playing along side a half decent 7. He’ll be elite no doubt and in the top 2 5/8’s for a long time.
And that is my bigger concern....
You wont really go wrong if you paid Burton big money with a very good organising halfback next to him. But if you went big on him and left him there as the dominant half, you've made a mistake.

Gus better have a plan to pair him with someone good otherwise we will be paying big money on a centre who can play abit of 5/8th and has a good kick.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Let me put it this way....

Do you think 'next big thing' Burton on 900k is better value than say 'current big thing' Munster on 1.2M? Or Ben Hunt on 1M? Or even DCE on 1M? Or Cleary on 1.2M?

Coz the 3 guys I mentioned have already either led or carried their teams to GFs or won a premiership. They also have very good kicking games. Not as big boot as Burton but I'd argue more trick and controlled kicking games, especially Cleary, DCE and Hunt.

I just feel he hasn't yet proven himself as an elite half. And until he does, he shouldn't be paid on the potential.

Ezra Mam has played 4 games and shown more potential as a playmaker than Burton has.

Having said that..... we dont have any other 1M players at the club (although we are paying silly money to TPJ, Thompson and next year add Kikau too). Kikau deserves his money on last 2 years form but let's see if he can maintain that kind of form with us.

We are one club that can take a punt on Burton's 'potential' as we arent really in a premiership 'window' for at least 4 or 5 years and so if he uses up a large chunk of cap space, it only sets us back afew more years.

If we didn't spend wisely the 300-400k we can give Burton on a good halfback, and lost Burton as a result, id be pissed off. But I'd be equally pissed off if we didn't sign a good halfback to lead him and the team around and he was made to look 'overpriced' due to us feeling the cap squeeze.

I think paying big money on middle and edge forwards is going to screw us around again
Persisting with a kid which has proven he has beyond potential and is developing rapidly in a lower table side is appealing. On the other hand you do mention the potential of a Munster or a hunt, top quality undoubtedly and would have us in the top 8 and challenging top 4. Question arises cant we have both? Salary cap wise so much is wrapped up in players like Thompson, Jackson and other 200k - 400k players that you wouldn’t look twice if they left. Gus pulls strings 2024 is when I believe we have a shot at a top half Burton has been a superstar if he can consistently do theses over 2023 then keeping Burton is a no brainer for me. We’ve spent 800k on Thompson, don’t think it will hurt if his money goes to Burton.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The real difference between Burton and the other 1 mill elites is that Burton is at the club now, the unlikely scenario of landing these other elites is not likely. The club should seal the deal and although I acknowledge I am totally fucking bias towards the club I think it would be good for Burton to sign with the club. His team, fan base, and big fish in small pond atm the club is on rise. Being cuddled by wealthy dogs directors and plenty of media on him while the club rebuilding won't hurt his cause. He is well placed for a career.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tough one but his big boot is more than just that. It's probably the beginning of an evolution of bigger and better kickers who will go a long way towards playing a bigger role in helping their team better dominate field position in a more efficient manner. We cannot afford to lose him.
Far to many underestimate the value of a great kicking game.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone hear that fuckwit on 360? Nothing but bad shit talking against us . Buzz is a cancer on the game. Basically by the sounds of it , buzz said he contacted burtons manager ..burton won’t sign on with us till he knows the coach. So in other worlds buzz didn’t hear what he wanted to..
Even the others on the pannell treat him as a joke.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Fair enough. I’d say that round be absolute minimum, though. At the end of the day, teams will offer more than that snd Burto is a player we would almost certainly gone to regret losing. If we got him for 800, I’d be more than happy than that and I wouldn’t be too perturbed if we went up to 850. But 700 is a little more realistic than the suggestion I was actually replying to.
i love Burton and he has that something xfactor many dont... and he can be a legend one day. But thats the point. 1 day he will. Not now he isnt and nowhere near that point yet. Throwing money at a kid doesn't do well. Look at Fifita, haas and Ponga for example. Overpaid idiots with lots of potential..
Gus will pay whats right and keep the kid and i have full faith in him. If Burton still leaves, then chasing money will be his long term downfall.

Reactions: obe

rissolerob

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Should the question be asked..Is Burton a better suited at centre than 5/8 . Not saying he is not a good 5/8 but is he an even better centre.

Malla

Reaction score
Burton was robbed he should have been MOM on Sunday

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Tough one but his big boot is more than just that. It's probably the beginning of an evolution of bigger and better kickers who will go a long way towards playing a bigger role in helping their team better dominate field position in a more efficient manner. We cannot afford to lose him.
And it looked like "Gridiron" with Qld rushing in a couple of (defensive team) forwards as "concussion" replacements on their try line so we are picking up NFL traits with that too lol

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
The real difference between Burton and the other 1 mill elites is that Burton is at the club now, the unlikely scenario of landing these other elites is not likely. The club should seal the deal and although I acknowledge I am totally fucking bias towards the club I think it would be good for Burton to sign with the club. His team, fan base, and big fish in small pond atm the club is on rise. Being cuddled by wealthy dogs directors and plenty of media on him while the club rebuilding won't hurt his cause. He is well placed for a career.
I get ya...

We have him vs we want him.