Newcastle Knights coach Wayne Bennett set to face former club in opening game of 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naki

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It's the first time the season has kicked off on a Thursday night, and you couldn't come up with a bigger grudge match than Bennett against the Dragons on March 1.

The official NRL draw is still a work in progress and will be released next weekend.
A grand final re-match between Manly Sea Eagles and New Zealand Warriors also remains a week-one possibility.

But no game will be bigger than the Dragons and the Knights, where Test star Darius Boyd will also take on the club he left to follow Bennett to Newcastle.

"We're pretty excited, we've never done this before, starting the competition on a Thursday, and there's no doubt this is a headline match," NRL director of football operations Nathan McGuirk said.

"The match up between St George Illawarra's old mentor Wayne Bennett and the Dragons' new rookie coach Steve Price is going to be a huge talking point in the build up to the game."

The NRL will start their season a week earlier than previous years to accommodate the representative season.

And they will kick off on a Thursday to avoid a clash with the one-day international cricket on Channel Nine. There will be just the one game on the opening Friday night.
The Knights are excited about kicking off the season - and the Nathan Tinkler era - against the Dragons.

"It will be a special event. When the NRL and Channel Nine came to us two months ago with the idea, we thought it was fantastic," Knights CEO Matthew Gidley said.

"It's a massive compliment from the NRL as the Knights enter a new era for the club."

For the first time, the NRL draw will also feature a stand-alone weekend for representative matches.

No NRL matches will be played as the traditional Anzac Test will be played on a Friday night, a Toyota Cup State of Origin match on Saturday night and finally the annual City-Country Origin match in Mudgee will on the Sunday.

Good Friday will also feature a double-header - with one match to played in the afternoon and the other game in the evening.
ok so i don't really care for this article but apparently the first game of the season starts on a thursday... thoughts on a thursday game?

Good or not so good?

personally i'd rather a thursday game over a monday night game if they decide to go that way for the remainder of the season..

*edit*
i forgot the link :p
http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...-2012-nrl-season/story-fn2mcuj6-1226180610244

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
i hate how the NRL tries to produce exciting round 1 matches

i much prefer just a random set of games

dogie

thruthick&thin
Reaction score
huh thursday? I wonder if this is a one off or going to continue.

tbh i like monday night football (except when we are playing as it feels like an eternity to wait)

but it would be good if it was replaced with one of the three games sat/sun - too many imo

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
AFL start on a thursday & attract 90k.

NRL, no matter who or where, will ever be a full house on a thursday night.

Blind freddy could see Dragons would be playing Newcastle round 1.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
huh thursday? I wonder if this is a one off or going to continue.

tbh i like monday night football (except when we are playing as it feels like an eternity to wait)

but it would be good if it was replaced with one of the three games sat/sun - too many imo
its going to be a one off

dogie

thruthick&thin
Reaction score
oh, I wonder why they are doing it though?

Mr. Sparkle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they want to avoid the ODI on that friday, they could always start the competition a week later and just scrap the stand-alone weekend for representative matches altogether and have regular NRL matches instead.

P

Paint.

So...

*NRL starts 8 days earlier than usual - FIRST MARCH
*First round kicks off with Dragons v Knights on Thursday night
*Rest of the round is as normal, except with only one match on Fri night, 7:30 PM, leading into a ODI test
*Good Friday (27 April) will have an Afternoon match and a night match, rather than two night matches. They'll both be played at the same ground as a double header (most likely 5:30 and 7:30)
*There will be a bye for all teams between rds 9 and 10. This will feature a Fri night Test match, Sat night NYC Origin and Sun arvo City-Country

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
So...

*NRL starts 8 days earlier than usual - FIRST MARCH
*First round kicks off with Dragons v Knights on Thursday night
*Rest of the round is as normal, except with only one match on Fri night, 7:30 PM, leading into a ODI test
*Good Friday (27 April) will have an Afternoon match and a night match, rather than two night matches. They'll both be played at the same ground as a double header (most likely 5:30 and 7:30)
*There will be a bye for all teams between rds 9 and 10. This will feature a Fri night Test match, Sat night NYC Origin and Sun arvo City-Country
I will take a guess at Us V Souths & Roosters V Brisbane at ANZ

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thursday night? Proof the NRL has lost it, who gives a sh1t about cricket?

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Why not move the cricket a day back?

P

Paint.

I will take a guess at Us V Souths & Roosters V Brisbane at ANZ
Nah, our game v Souths is traditionally on the Sat night, and the Roosters will have their ANZAC game against the Dragons two days earlier... so most likely Souths and Eels the two home teams.

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
Traditionally saturday ??

Pretty sure weve played 2 good fridays & an Easter monday in the last 4 or 5 years ...

Status
Not open for further replies.