new nrl rule change for this season

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I’ve said it many times on this forum that the ARL Commison is way out of balance when it comes to footy smarts.

Not sure if Wayne Pearce is still on there but if he is, he is the only one who has ever been involved in the game at club level. The rest are business people. Independent and well meaning they might be, but potentially naive about how the game should be played.

The ARLC needs to be balanced out by having an ex coach, ex referee and ex club ceo there. These types will have more basic knowledge of the game. And when I say ex referee I don’t mean Annesley. The more I hear him at his weekly press briefings the less faith I have in him. His time as a politician really stands out.

And please don’t get me started on the man with the apostrophe in his name. The sooner he goes back to racing and stays there the better.

Last edited:

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
RULE CHANGES 1 after the other. Either the NRL Admin are stupid OR the game has so many serious structural flaws, and the NRL are just trying to grab at straws trying to fix them
Sometimes I wonder too Kelpie..it’s almost changing rules to justify their job!

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
Of course this rule change comes in just as soon as we have some decent halves at the club that can build pressure. We have also released Oxonbour which would have insured we had a massive advantage in short dropouts. Only positive I see is panthers have potentially a backline comprising May, Alamotti, Edwards and TOO all 1.80 max meaning they would have one of the shortest backlines in the comp so this will disadvantage them massively.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
To be honest I think it is a good change.

I like the short dropoputs and kickoffs.

Just waiting to see how coaches like Bennett and Bellamy work their way around it for their own benefit.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I believe this rule change could well be to our advantage, let's face it our goal line defence hasn't exactly been great for some time and if we take the 50/50 chance of a short drop out that at least lessons the opposition's chances by maybe 50%. Plus our winning set resets isn't exactly stellar either so at the other end the rule change won't have as great an effect.

Always a Bulldog

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It always worries me these days when rules are changed. The last one I liked was the 40/20 rule and that was a looong time ago.

Everything I've seen since has turned a good clearcut rule into a grey area of ref discretion. I'll give just one example.
The Sheppard used to apply for every player that carried the ball behind their own team mate. It was an automatic loss of possession. Now you can try it and the ref has to decide if the guys falling over because they brushed an attacker could have gotten the ball carrier and it's a real shit show. Ref interpretation can vary from team to team and switch at any time of the game. Rules need to get back to black and white.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Apparently NRL Physio is talking about the theory that this rule change is really targeted at reducing the kick off HIA‘s where a forward is passed the ball and charges 20/30 metres flat out into the opposition. NRL research has shown that a decent % of HIA’s come from that play. The idea being that a number of kick offs will be taken short and that will reduce the incidence of high impact runs “off the back fence”.

Maybe it‘s not about short line drop outs, but more about kick restarts from halfway.

The NRL may well be hiding behind the “more exciting” bullshit when it’s really about reducing HIA’s. Which is much harder sell.

Always a Bulldog