New look Bulldog forward pack could struggle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
New look Bulldog forward pack could struggle
Roar Guru
By ScottWoodward.me, 15 Feb 2013 ScottWoodward.me is a Roar Guru
http://www.theroar.com.au/2013/02/15/new-look-bulldog-forward-pack-could-struggle/#comment-1255084

I broke my golden rule in last year’s Grand Final and backed a team with no recognized organiser against the Storm’s Cooper Cronk, who runs a team just about better than anybody.
The Canterbury Bulldogs will have to show a marked improvement in fifth tackle decision making if they are to “get me” again, but they may get their halfback Trent Hodgkinson back.
I supported them at big odds early in the season and was happy to “let it ride” into the big one, but the bookies have found them early this season and given the injury concerns to several of their forwards they must be opposed at their current skinny quote.
The Bulldogs have the reputation for fielding the best forward pack in the NRL but they will be without their three most influential forwards for a major part of the early rounds and Corey Payne has retired and his value inside the dressing room was invaluable.
International James Graham, the other big talker, will miss the initial 12 weeks after chewing Billy Slater’s ear in the Grand Final, while prop of the year Sam Kasiano will be in rehab for at least the first month.
This will mean an extended period up front for young Martin Taupau and we can expect to see plenty of 19 year old David Klemmer, who weighs 120kg (Kasiano is 122kg).
Klemmer was the 2012 Dally M Toyota Cup player of the year and the only player to make over 4000 metres, but the smart teams will likely find him out in defence as he turns like the Queen Mary.
Kiwi star Frank Pritchard has ongoing injury concerns and he will miss the early games also. That is four key forwards from last years super pack.
A bonus for the Bulldogs is that they have been allocated nine Friday night matches in the first 20 rounds, but they will need them.
The other bonus is that Trent Hodgkinson has responded and will likely be available for round one. If he is fit he must start at halfback as he is the only player on the Bulldogs list who can organise which was the chief reason why they were beaten by the Storm in last year’s Grand Final.
Hodgkinson’s biggest concern is that he cannot run at full capacity, but his ability to run the team is priceless.
There is no question that the one player they cannot replace is fullback Ben Barba and it will be a major surprise if he is not missing for the three Origin games along with Josh Morris and Tony Williams.
STAKING PLAN:
The Bulldogs are gross “under the odds” in my opinion at this stage of the season. With question marks over Hodgkinson and plenty of injury and suspension concerns to key forwards their task will not be easy. Prefer to risk.

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
what do you guys think about this? I think it may take the first few rounds for us to hit our straps. Pritchard has a groin injury and will be back Round 1, so not sure were he got his info from, on missing the first few rounds, Kasiano back in Round 1 or 2.

FreshSoulL

Faith
Reaction score
they talk alot of crap but I think we will have a rough start at the beginning of the season.

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He might have a point in some regards, but the guy's fact checking is a bit off.

Graham gone for 12 weeks? I thought the Internationals and trials counted for about 3 or 4 of those.

FreshSoulL

Faith
Reaction score
He might have a point in some regards, but the guy's fact checking is a bit off.

Graham gone for 12 weeks? I thought the Internationals and trials counted for about 3 or 4 of those.
Graham should be back Rd 9. I believe. correct if wrong.

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hodgkinson.
Indeed.

Clicking through to the site, and the guy's even less credible. He's replied in the comments section to a few folk. He states that Ennis isn't the club's best option at 9. Did he manage to miss the first 7 or 8 games last season when Ennis was half-fit and we were destroyed defensively around the ruck? Or maybe he missed the (Souths?) game when Ennis went off injured briefly and we leaked two tries in back to back sets?

nassman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tolman can play 80 minutes and probably will, and between Eastwood, Klemmer and Tapau I think we should be ok. Of course we will miss Graham and Kas but no team is without injury problems and suspensions at some point in the year, I'd much rather have them towards the beginning of a campaign than the end. With the addition of T-Rex and having Halatau back, as well as Jackson and Finucane, I don't think we'll feel the loss of Pritchard TBH.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
I have had many a disagreement with ScottWoodward.me on the Roar. That said, at least he replies to comments on his articles, unlike a few others on that site who just post an article, and try and let that stand as there statement.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't think we are going to struggle as much as this guy thinks we will.

And Hodkinson will not be in the team, I wouldn't be surprised if he moves to another team before or during this season.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol yer it'll b a bit rough at the beginning. But every team will start slow. Not worried at all. Confident with our strongest 17, we will beat whatever is in front of us

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
his reply to me was: ScottWoodward.me said | February 15th 2013 @ 12:47pm | Report comment

"Jim,
If they play they will not be 100% fit. My mail is they wont play but the coaching and medical staff will obviously make the final call. Given the long season, it would be a big risk to play them unless 100%"

Nice to get a reply, shame he didn't admit to making an error (regarding Graham and Hodkinson).

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Yeah I noticed he likes to think he has the inside running on everything that is happening in the NRL. And many times that is not the case.

Gingerbread Man

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We may struggle early in the season with arguably the hardest start to the season of any team - Cowboys, Eels, Storm, Souths, Manly, Roosters and Sharks. With our injuries and suspensions, I will be more than happy if we are 4 from 7 rounds.

We can then mount our run with the next rounds being Tigers, Warriors, Knights, Broncos, Dragons, Cowboys, Manly and Roosters coming into the first bye.

I do agree that we need someone to organise the team and Hodko can do this better than Keating or Reynolds. Last year it was Graham/Kas who did a lot of the organising first receiver with Keating and Reynolds sweeping around linking to a running second rower or Inu/Morris/Barba. With no Graham or Kas we need Hodko. No doubt Hodko is slow but hopefully he can organise similar to a Brett Kimmorley.

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He wishes that we'll struggle.. we won't tho. 7/7.

polecat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There will not be any easy games this season. I cant see Hodkinson making the team without
injuries to keating/reynolds. I am looking forward to more game time for Dale Finucane....
he is in for a massive season in my humble opinion.

Sauce Head

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think there will more challenges this year:

- A cliche, but we did fly under the radar last year. I think teams will be more ready for us this year
- We surely will be stung a little more in origin this year. Barba/Morris/Williams are certs - who knows who else
- All the points above regarding forward injuries to start the season. I think Halatau was our only major injury amongst the forwards for mine so it will be a bit tougher
- We will miss Stagg massively. Jackson/Finucane will be good for the run last year, but its hard to replicate the work Stagg got through
- On the other hand, I am really looking for to Hogko have a great season. I dont know about the negativity about him from some people. Jeez, its not like he injured himself on purpose. If anyone can get him back to his best it is Des and I expect nothing less TBH.
- Desmond is massive - imagine the atmosphere at the dragons. It is public knowledge that the club really does not the coach and are jumping at any chance to get another established coach. That just cant be good for anyone and I think their results will show that.
So my point is, things could be alot worse !! It might be a tough start but I a certain we will be coming home with a wet sail !!

mearsey

panania raised
Reaction score
Tolman
Ennis
Tapau
Jackson
Williams
Eastwood

Bench
Finucane
Halatau
Klemmer
Keating ( maybe ) Romelo

Got it more than covered boys

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I think a lot of ppl are forgetting we are coached by Des Hasler. He can get the best out of anyone we have on the field, and the up and coming players replacing a few of our star forwards early in the season are no bunnies, they are the real deal.

Not concerned at all. I expect us to be top 4 most of this year, if not all of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.