New details of Hasler’s 2011 switch to Bulldogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiraz Crazy

Hasler_For_PM
Reaction score
PRIVATE communiqués of Canterbury’s secret bid to steal Des Hasler from Manly in 2011 have emerged, conflicting with public statements from ex-Bulldogs CEO Todd Greenberg later that year.
Despite Greenberg maintaining all negotiations were focused on appointing Hasler for 2013, The Daily Telegraph has sighted correspondence that betrays Canterbury’s desire to install the premiership-winning coach at Belmore 12 months earlier.
The correspondence also reveals the Bulldogs were prepared to consider indemnifying Hasler against any legal action from Manly, which claimed the former Sea Eagles star had a binding contract to remain at Brookvale in 2012. After Manly terminated Hasler in November 2011, Greenberg publicly dismissed suggestions of coercion.

Des Hasler with former CEO Todd Greenberg as he starts the first day on the job at Belmore Oval. Source:News Limited

The latest revelations come as Greenberg, now NRL head of football operations, faces an Integrity Unit probe over his recollection of being shown a betting ledger detailing football wagers of late prop Ryan Tandy at a meeting in August 2010.
Greenberg has categorically denied being presented with the ledger by former racing reporter John Schell, who swore otherwise in a police statement and court testimony that were tendered into evidence during Tandy’s NSW Local Court trial in September 2011.

Then in charge of the Bulldogs, Greenberg started to pursue Hasler a month earlier, according to correspondence contained in a documentary time line assembled by Sea Eagles.
The correspondence asserts Hasler received a letter of offer from Canterbury on August 15 2011, which detailed a four-year deal worth $3.5 million. The nominated start date at the Bulldogs was 1 November 2011.

Canterbury Bulldogs defeat St George Illawarra Dragons2:37
Hasler was told they read:
“1. Letter of Offer is valid and binding assuming exist (sic) from Manly at end of 2011 season is achieved.
“2. Bulldogs may elect to indemnify you should the option matter reach litigious position, at their discretion.
“3. Should the Bulldogs decide not to indemnify if they feel risk factors are too great, then the Letter of Offer will automatically revert to a start date of season 2013 to 2016 inclusive.
“Todd would like to have the letter of offer with the above variation signed on Saturday (27 August) this weekend.”

Hasler‘s success with Manly made him a target for the Bulldogs. Source: News Limited

Although it detailed Greenberg’s position, the correspondence quoted from above was sent to Hasler by a third party who was acting on Hasler’s behalf at the time.
However, the correspondence clearly indicates Canterbury’s desire to bring Hasler on board for the 2012 pre-season. It also suggests the club’s willingness to consider indemnifying the prized coach in the event of Manly taking legal action, with Sea Eagles officials adamant that Hasler has previously exercised an option to remain on the Northern Beaches in 2012.
Furthermore, on the very same day he received notice of the second letter of offer, Hasler told Manly chairman Scott Penn of his intention to quit the club at the end of 2011.
Correspondence from Hasler to Penn on 26 August states: “Whilst it would be easy for us to be emotional given my long playing and coaching days at the club, I would rather that all move forward from our discussion and enjoy the successes that we have had. In this respect I formally advise you that I will conclude my employment at the end of this 2011 season.”

But when Manly terminated Hasler’s contract in November, clearing the way for Hasler to join Canterbury straight away, Greenberg gave several public assurances that the Bulldogs were always working toward the following season.
On 15 November, he told The Daily Telegraph: “No, to be fair, every discussion we’ve had was about 2013 ... Our plans were well and truly in place.”
On 22 March 2012 he participated in an interview with Daily Telegraph reporter Dean Ritchie on Channel Ten’s Game Plan show, which focused heavily on the Hasler negotiations.
When asked if he commenced negotiations while Hasler was still under contract at Manly, Greenberg replied: “I have answered this question before but I am happy to answer it again. The answer is no. All our plans were for 2013 and beyond.”
Greenberg also addressed speculation of Hasler being induced or coerced to breach his contract with Manly. On 12 November he told Triple M: “We are not in the business of coercing people out of their contracts or out of their arrangements.”

Taken from:
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl

Last edited by a moderator:

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They are trying hard to shoot down Greenburg...

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
he will get the boot no doubt whats more concerning is how the hell are they getting this information, mole at the club?

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
Why the hell does everyone want TG blood all of a sudden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Is someone trying to bring Greenberg down orrr....? geeeez

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
**** me is he the head of football opps or the pm for ****s sake ,i wonder who is behind this? Someone is pushing this

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Massoud's got problems...

What an utter bell end the man is.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
lol they waited on this information to pile on

greenberg should once again go to the telegraph and beg them to do positive stories again

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why the hell does everyone want TG blood all of a sudden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very simple. The Telegraph thrive off keeping Rugby League in scandal. The NRL finally has assembled a decent team at the top who might have a fighting chance of running the game properly so it's in shitkickers like Massoud's interests to undermine at every turn.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol, what's the go with this witch hunt against Greenberg, it's been going on since Ben barba saga,

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
btw it was always in the air that we got hasler to break his contract tbh, getting dymock for 1 year made no sense plus hasler got himself fired by openly working towards his bulldogs future while supposed to be coaching manly

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who wrote the article?
Josh Massoud.

He's the one who doesn't drink drive, but does forget to mention the fact that his moral crusade on behalf of Ryan Tandy fails to mention the fact that he was his flatmate during the depths of his personal problems.

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol, what's the go with this witch hunt against Greenberg, it's been going on since Ben barba saga,
Exactly. TG played the media exceptionally well then and it seems to have riled the gutter-dwellers into having a pop at him at every turn.

Karat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Josh Massoud.

He's the one who doesn't drink drive, but does forget to mention the fact that his moral crusade on behalf of Ryan Tandy fails to mention the fact that he was his flatmate during the depths of his personal problems.
Says it all..

He is digging for dirt against him and it is so obvious..

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
btw it was always in the air that we got hasler to break his contract tbh, getting dymock for 1 year made no sense plus hasler got himself fired by openly working towards his bulldogs future while supposed to be coaching manly
Offer was made & he took it. Thats business!

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Massoud, since your reading this speak up & say hello!

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Offer was made & he took it. Thats business!
its not as simple as that, hasler had a year to go and we got him, i would be butthurt too if another club did it to us

Status
Not open for further replies.