Rumour New Coach and Assistant anyones guess - here's one

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Potter doesn't want the job and Gustavo doesn't want him.
Not sure about that, he did say when he got the role as interim coach, that he was focused on that role for now but when asked if he'd be interested in taking the role as their full time coach his response was. "Yes, of course, anybody would love the opportunity but my first responsibility is as interim coach and we'll cross that bridge when we come to it".

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ciraldo doesn't want the job. Ennis has zero experience, Dymock has some. If there is any truth to any of that bullshit, My guess would be Ennis to be Dymocks assistant. But based on the fact Gus wants an experienced coach its unlikely at best.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Ciraldo doesn't want the job. Ennis has zero experience, Dymock has some. If there is any truth to any of that bullshit, My guess would be Ennis to be Dymocks assistant. But based on the fact Gus wants an experienced coach its unlikely at best.
The media doesn't really know, they reckon Ciraldo will take the Tigers job now and they're not much better off than we're. I really want Flanagan, I'm just hoping it's him. I think Gus will able to get whoever he wants that's "available".

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The media doesn't really know, they reckon Ciraldo will take the Tigers job now and they're not much better off than we're. I really want Flanagan, I'm just hoping it's him. I think Gus will able to get whoever he wants that's "available".
I find it hard to believe Gus has someone in mind. I didn't think Freddy was any chance, but some points were raised on 360 this week that have made me think maybe

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Do your homework champ, he grew up in a single parent family with 2 other siblings in Sadleir & then Cambridge Park, he grew up with nothing took his chance & appreciates everything he has now- & by the way he lives on the Northern Beaches not the Eastern Suburbs
Cool story. It he is still the complete opposite of a Bulldog.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How I'm Reading It As Of Today.

it's been almost 3 weeks since Baz left and we are all thinking why is this taking so long to appoint our new coach.

Important Points To Consider-

1. Gus said publicly that he was shocked by Baz decision to quit, so if Gus quickly appoints someone else it would show that Gus was preparing to axe Baz anyways - not that Gus gives a shit too much about what others think.

2. There is a lot of detail involved before you finalise a deal with a coach, including the negotiation of support staff that an incoming coach would request and so on.

3. If the coach you are chasing is currently employed elsewhere, then the timing of the announcement may be on their terms.

My Thoughts Moving Forward-

1. If we do not announce Shane Flanagan as our new coach by our next game V's Eels, then I don't think he is the one as he is probably the one candidate that could relinquish his current role effective immediate (at the Dragqueens). The same could be said for Paul Green, Jim Dymock, Geoff Toovey & other out of contract coaches.

Apart from Gus not wanting him, there would be no other reason not to have any of these above coaches appointed in the next fortnight IMO.

You could probably add Kristian Woolf into this category as well because I see no other reason for not announcing him as our next coach if he is the man.
He has long expressed a desire to coach in the NRL and it wouldn't come as a shock to his current club. I don't follow the ESL so I cant comment on his coaching.

Flannagan - If it's not soon, then it never will be IMO. Lot's of pluses for Flanno, but we have one big point that goes against him - his son.
An old boss of mine got very upset with me when I employed one of my supervisor's sisters. He said it is very dangerous as when you have an issue with one, you have an issue with both. It won't be any different here, & as Kyle is borderline 1st grade, you'd bet there will be issues.

2. If our wait goes beyond the next fortnight, it clearly means that Gus's man currently has another role where he wants to exit in the right manner without causing too much upheaval in his current position at his current club.

We play the Panthers for the second time this year this upcoming Friday, so if it were to be Ciraldo it could happen early next week OR when Penrith have the bye before Origin 3.

If the announcement comes after Origin then I believe it will be either Fitler or Ciraldo.

Ciraldo - He seems to be the most promoted Assistant coach in the game, similar to Craig Fitzgibbon. He is unproven, but I see more upside in him than most of the others & apparently works very well with Gus and you know Gus won't have it any other way. IMO, he is in Gus's final 3.

Fitler - Not proven at Club level and IMO would be a huge risk. Furthermore of all the candidates, I see Fitler as the biggest Anti Antything Bulldogs there is. Also, he has the best combination of jobs in the game, why replace that with a 16 hour a day, 7 day a week job? It makes no sense IMO.

Madge - If the winning candidate is Madge (and I hope to dear God that it isn't) it will happen weeks after the Tigers sack him or at the years end.
I am hopeful though that Gus isn't stupid enough to sack the 16th place coach in favour of replacing him with the 15th place coach... That's just Dumb.

IF WE WAIT TILL SEPTEMBER -
To me, this clearly means that our next coach is a current head coach elsewhere.
IMO these candidates would only include Ricky Stuart, Todd Payten & perhaps with less of a chance Justin Hoolbrook.

Bellamy, Hasler, O'Brien, Cleary, Robinson, Fitzgibbon, Walters, Demetriou, Arthur, Brown, Griffin & Bennett just don't make sense right now & IMO won't happen.

Ricky Stuart - Currently contracted until the end of the 2023 season.
Interestingly it was reported around a week and a half ago on the local news down here in Canberra that the Raiders had offered Ricky a 2 year extension for which he responded to by saying he will wait until the end of the year to enter negotiations.
This has me worried big time. Why would a coach with a struggling side in the comfort of being in his own home town knock back securing his future for a further 2 years. This announcement sprung up only a week after Baz left, telling me that the Raiders may be concerned about their coach leaving.
I hope to God Gus does not Hire Ricky because of their great relationship. He will get us up for 2 years & then it will be back to square one as his players get sick of him very quickly, just like the current squad he has now.

Todd Payten - Currently contracted until the end of the 2023 season.
IMO, Todd is the best current young coach currently in the NRL.
He is a straight shooter who doesn't take crap and certainly knows how to improve a footy team - Just look at what he did at the Warriors & now at the Cows.
If it were up to me, Todd would be our man as I see him as the next supercoach.

Justin Hoolbrook - Currently contracted until the end of the 2024 season.
IMO, the least likely of these 3 options as he has yet to truly prove himself in the NRL and still has a further 2 years after tis year on his current contract. Watching his press conferences recently have reminded me of watching Baz all over again - He has no answers & we don't want that again.

IF Gus is going to hire one of these contracted guys, it will confirm the basis to his comments when he said that he is looking forward to having a coach in place by September.
How he does this is by simply following the blue print that Greenberg took when he hired Hasler 1 year in advance for the season after his current contract would expire and announce that current Interim Mick Potter would remain as head coach until he arrived.
We all know that the situation at his current club would become untenable & they would severe ties a year early, just as Hasler did.

MY PICK

TODD PAYTEN
If it were me making the decision and he was willing to negotiate a way out of his current deal, I'd hire Todd Payten.
I really like what I have seen from him in his short coaching career as well as having great success coaching the lower grades.
He won't take shit, but is still young enough to understand & interact with young players and I also see him as a coach who has adapted & understands the game of today.

THE 3 IN THE FRAME - In my opinion Gus's Frame If we don't appoint Flanagan in the next fortnight, but I could be way off.

- Cameron Ciraldo
- Ricky Stuart
- Todd Payten

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heil Filter
How I'm Reading It As Of Today.

it's been almost 3 weeks since Baz left and we are all thinking why is this taking so long to appoint our new coach.

Important Points To Consider-

1. Gus said publicly that he was shocked by Baz decision to quit, so if Gus quickly appoints someone else it would show that Gus was preparing to axe Baz anyways - not that Gus gives a shit too much about what others think.

2. There is a lot of detail involved before you finalise a deal with a coach, including the negotiation of support staff that an incoming coach would request and so on.

3. If the coach you are chasing is currently employed elsewhere, then the timing of the announcement may be on their terms.

My Thoughts Moving Forward-

1. If we do not announce Shane Flanagan as our new coach by our next game V's Eels, then I don't think he is the one as he is probably the one candidate that could relinquish his current role effective immediate (at the Dragqueens). The same could be said for Paul Green, Jim Dymock, Geoff Toovey & other out of contract coaches.

Apart from Gus not wanting him, there would be no other reason not to have any of these above coaches appointed in the next fortnight IMO.

You could probably add Kristian Woolf into this category as well because I see no other reason for not announcing him as our next coach if he is the man.
He has long expressed a desire to coach in the NRL and it wouldn't come as a shock to his current club. I don't follow the ESL so I cant comment on his coaching.

Flannagan - If it's not soon, then it never will be IMO. Lot's of pluses for Flanno, but we have one big point that goes against him - his son.
An old boss of mine got very upset with me when I employed one of my supervisor's sisters. He said it is very dangerous as when you have an issue with one, you have an issue with both. It won't be any different here, & as Kyle is borderline 1st grade, you'd bet there will be issues.

2. If our wait goes beyond the next fortnight, it clearly means that Gus's man currently has another role where he wants to exit in the right manner without causing too much upheaval in his current position at his current club.

We play the Panthers for the second time this year this upcoming Friday, so if it were to be Ciraldo it could happen early next week OR when Penrith have the bye before Origin 3.

If the announcement comes after Origin then I believe it will be either Fitler or Ciraldo.

Ciraldo - He seems to be the most promoted Assistant coach in the game, similar to Craig Fitzgibbon. He is unproven, but I see more upside in him than most of the others & apparently works very well with Gus and you know Gus won't have it any other way. IMO, he is in Gus's final 3.

Fitler - Not proven at Club level and IMO would be a huge risk. Furthermore of all the candidates, I see Fitler as the biggest Anti Antything Bulldogs there is. Also, he has the best combination of jobs in the game, why replace that with a 16 hour a day, 7 day a week job? It makes no sense IMO.

Madge - If the winning candidate is Madge (and I hope to dear God that it isn't) it will happen weeks after the Tigers sack him or at the years end.
I am hopeful though that Gus isn't stupid enough to sack the 16th place coach in favour of replacing him with the 15th place coach... That's just Dumb.

IF WE WAIT TILL SEPTEMBER -
To me, this clearly means that our next coach is a current head coach elsewhere.
IMO these candidates would only include Ricky Stuart, Todd Payten & perhaps with less of a chance Justin Hoolbrook.

Bellamy, Hasler, O'Brien, Cleary, Robinson, Fitzgibbon, Walters, Demetriou, Arthur, Brown, Griffin & Bennett just don't make sense right now & IMO won't happen.

Ricky Stuart - Currently contracted until the end of the 2023 season.
Interestingly it was reported around a week and a half ago on the local news down here in Canberra that the Raiders had offered Ricky a 2 year extension for which he responded to by saying he will wait until the end of the year to enter negotiations.
This has me worried big time. Why would a coach with a struggling side in the comfort of being in his own home town knock back securing his future for a further 2 years. This announcement sprung up only a week after Baz left, telling me that the Raiders may be concerned about their coach leaving.
I hope to God Gus does not Hire Ricky because of their great relationship. He will get us up for 2 years & then it will be back to square one as his players get sick of him very quickly, just like the current squad he has now.

Todd Payten - Currently contracted until the end of the 2023 season.
IMO, Todd is the best current young coach currently in the NRL.
He is a straight shooter who doesn't take crap and certainly knows how to improve a footy team - Just look at what he did at the Warriors & now at the Cows.
If it were up to me, Todd would be our man as I see him as the next supercoach.

Justin Hoolbrook - Currently contracted until the end of the 2024 season.
IMO, the least likely of these 3 options as he has yet to truly prove himself in the NRL and still has a further 2 years after tis year on his current contract. Watching his press conferences recently have reminded me of watching Baz all over again - He has no answers & we don't want that again.

IF Gus is going to hire one of these contracted guys, it will confirm the basis to his comments when he said that he is looking forward to having a coach in place by September.
How he does this is by simply following the blue print that Greenberg took when he hired Hasler 1 year in advance for the season after his current contract would expire and announce that current Interim Mick Potter would remain as head coach until he arrived.
We all know that the situation at his current club would become untenable & they would severe ties a year early, just as Hasler did.

MY PICK

TODD PAYTEN
If it were me making the decision and he was willing to negotiate a way out of his current deal, I'd hire Todd Payten.
I really like what I have seen from him in his short coaching career as well as having great success coaching the lower grades.
He won't take shit, but is still young enough to understand & interact with young players and I also see him as a coach who has adapted & understands the game of today.

THE 3 IN THE FRAME - In my opinion Gus's Frame If we don't appoint Flanagan in the next fortnight, but I could be way off.

- Cameron Ciraldo
- Ricky Stuart
- Todd Payten
Or maybe he's looking at Potter and waiting to see how the players respond to Potter before making a decision...

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I have a disgusting feeling that this might be true....

Sideways move at best, unless Gus is the real coach and shitler is the face for the media.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sideways move at best, unless Gus is the real coach and shitler is the face for the media.
really, really hope this isn't true. Will be a disaster, guaranteed.

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

It makes sense. Gus can control the media narrative at Channel 9 even more with Fittler as coach, opposed to a Fox (ex) employee

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
What does ennis actually bring to the table as assistant coach?
Over the years I have spoken with a few players who played with Ennis and they all say he has a high footy IQ, notices things on the field and communicates them to the other players. Picks defensive structure holes and identifies lazy or injured opposition players. Has a lot of game awareness, can analyse a game as it is unfolding. I know SFlanagan credits a lot of Cronulla‘s success to having Ennis in the leadership group to bounce ideas off. I wouldn‘t be surprised that if SFlanagan gets a head coaching gig, with us or someone else, he would have Ennis in an assistant coaching position.

Yes, he had a smart mouth on the field, but is that really a bad thing for an assistant coach?

Always a Bulldog

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Does Belmore Sports Ground have any bindii. Fittler will be training them in bare feet.