New Bulldogs coach Dean Pay wants club to focus on developing talent to rebuild its culture

Status
Not open for further replies.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
One of the best things he said is he wants to be aggressive in attack and defence.
Exactly. Run hard, tackle hard. So much better then control possession and eventually you might score.

Looking forward to see forwards hitting the ball at speed with support. A dummy half that can play on the back of fast play the balls and halves that have been coached to play what's in front of them instead of tolman on the 4th.

Take note des...... this is what you should have been doing all these years and you would have added to your premierships.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I keep on reading about the rebuilding business, I think some of us have lost faith in the Bulldogs spirit thanks to Has-been,
I believe coached properly we still have the team to win yes to win the premiership 2018 taking into consideration players play in their right positions and to the utmost of their ability.
This would be my team and why:
1 MBYE...has the credentials to become a great fullback without the organizing pressures
2 B. MORRIS...fit he can still be a strike force
3 HOPOATE...his running and passing ability would be tremendous
4 J. MORRIS...he might have lost some speed, out wide his defense absolutely essential
5 MONTOYA...needless to say he is our brightest young back
6 BROWN...he looks the goods in attack and defense
7 FORAN...organizing half he is know, it's wrong to risk his fragile body as a hard running five-eight
8 TOLMAN...a full 80 minutes player if needed, keep away from the ball on the 4th tackle
9 LICHAA...will be a better player if allowed to play his natural game, he'll rise or fall by his action
10 KLEMMER...he is a prop the coach should help him recapture his great ability to offload
11 JACKSON C...captain Jackson say no more
12 ELLIOTT...great prospect needs to work on his mistakes rate
13 WOODS...at lock he will have the freedom to roam can be devastating on the edges
14 FUALALO...no nonsense go forward prop
15 TUALAU...can be a devastating runner and hits hard front on
16 FAITALA-MARINER...nonstop action needs to fine tune his game
17 WOOLFORD...very talented time for him to rise
18 TO'OMAGA...has the potential to be similar to Taumalolo
19 EASTWOOD...if we keep him he needs to prove himself in reserves.
I am sure other players with potential would rise to the challenge under the new coach
Your thoughts...?
Personally id rather see cleeland get a run at 5/8 and have brown as our utility on the bench. Id also prefer tolman at lock. Would have been better to have graham there, but i think tolman can do a job there. Let him tackle his arse off and look after that middle third.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So refreshing to hear....translating this into action though will require strength and fitness to improve significantly on current levels.
According to des our strength and condition is at optimum levels :tearsofjoy: prime example is our "gun" centre holland who registered amazing v-max scores :tearsofjoy:also he was able to retain his sprint speed at the end of the session too (only problem is he wasn't fast to begin with :p lol).

In all honesty though players need to be footy fit. Something Des thought he could crack with science and numbers. But at the end of the day nothing beats hard training. And one of the hardest training teams are the storm..... enough said.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Personally id rather see cleeland get a run at 5/8 and have brown as our utility on the bench. Id also prefer tolman at lock. Would have been better to have graham there, but i think tolman can do a job there. Let him tackle his arse off and look after that middle third.
Exactly. We lost a lot with graham and he will prove it next season I'm sure. Also would have been good to see kas have a year under pay. I'm sure he would have gotten him footy fit and he would have been steaming onto balls (but salary cap wise you can't have 3 million tied up in your front row so correct move with kas).

Grahams ball playing, hard hitting defence and big motor would have suited the middle which will allow Klem to run wider and create space by attracting 2-3 defenders.

It's the little things that will make big differences in the end. And using klem as a steam roller instead of locking him in the middle and expecting him to tackle for 70 mins a game will make all the difference.

It's exciting to think pay has an open mind to positional changes moving forward. Hopefully he can make goal kicking a priority too. But to be fair it can't get any worse :p

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd love to see some of the clever forward play (inside/outside interchange passing through the middle) that we used back in 94/95. Obviously easier with clever forwards like Pay, J Smith & Dymock and great back up players like Lamb & Silva, but I think we have the players to adopt that style. Jacko for lock next year and no team will bust us through the middle.

ALX25

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Let's hope Pay will also look at the SG Ball and HM sides set up.

I also hope that Georgallis will be retained.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just watched the presser.... the exciting announcements i think will be other home comings for positions in the football club. When Pay said he was Head Coach i think he was saying I'm going to concentrate on coaching not trying to do everything like Des.
I know some rumours on FB have suggested Steve Price maybe involved. He has just bought a House and moving back to Qld. so unlikely.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Not sezer, he is happy in Canberra and Dean won't cut Ricky's grass like that

They are looking at a few guys like Frank pritchard
Cheap , short term and fill that senior leadership role we have been missing

Bit like Lima did at the raiders, Benji will be doing at the tigers, Frank did at parra etc
Frank on minimum wage but surely nothing more if we wanted him.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frank made mbye look good that debut year. While everyone was jizzing over mbye, a lot of it came off the back of big frankie p.

Sounds like he will test Marcus mumbai at full back... which is... lethal imo. Bloke played all junior footy there apparently so should have a good feel for it.

This means we lose abbey and I'm not fussed about that.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Pay is saying all the right things, but it's easy enough for people from the club to read the forums here. It's quite possible that he was briefed about what to say to nullify the fans. I honestly don't know if what he says has any merit yet, but hopefully it does. A good club can do ok because of their top roster but a great club will be able to maintain their success because they've got great juniors backing up for when injury or poor form hits some of the top squad. Part of that is that the coach knows when to bring the pick of the crop into the NRL.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
People underestimate the influence on culture Frank and Ennis had at the club... Sorry Hasler underestimated it.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
People underestimate the influence on culture Frank and Ennis had at the club... Sorry Hasler underestimated it.
Reynolds fits into that category in my opinion too. I'll be sad seeing him line up against us.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
This may be the cynic coming out in me, but it seems like Dib is forcing Pay to say all the right things to appease us fans and save his job. All the keywords are there and its coming at us left, right and centre.

Either way, good luck to him. He deserves his chance as an NRL head coach.

Gubanaculum

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
And could sweep the ball off the ground and rocket it onto a chest 15m away
hard hitter, really tough and backed up the runners a lot
Hetho played 5/8 for gold coast dogs told him to watch video on steve walters because he was going to play hooker for them.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Frank made mbye look good that debut year. While everyone was jizzing over mbye, a lot of it came off the back of big frankie p.

Sounds like he will test Marcus mumbai at full back... which is... lethal imo. Bloke played all junior footy there apparently so should have a good feel for it.

This means we lose abbey and I'm not fussed about that.
I wouldn't say he made Mbye look good, it was more that they had a genuine combination that season. It was easily Franks best and most consistent season at the club and it coincided with Moses being promoted and playing alongside him.

Either way i don't think we shoud bother wasting our time with Frank unless it's on minimum wage. He isn't playing NRL standard footy and he's another year older.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Reynolds fits into that category in my opinion too. I'll be sad seeing him line up against us.
Yeah in a way... Obviously his enthusiasm and attitude was in the right place just like Graham but honestly it is hard to respect individuals who cant keep their cool. Franky was a straight up dude you don't eff with though. He was easy to respect and plenty enjoyed his leadership.

I watched a Ricky Stewart interview the other day and he said the culture Sia Soliola brought was huge for the club. I'm hoping the fact their is a whole new leadership group at the club we will see a massive change at the dogs. Cant wait to see what Woods, Foran, Tolman, Jacko and Klemmer will do with Pay at the helm, we truly have a great side next yr.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A prop from the warriors
Ofi Ogden 21 years old or so

mez

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If Tolman doesn't take his 4th tackle hitups I'll lose my shit.

1. Mbye
2. BMoz
3. JMoz (C2)
4. Hoppa
5. Montoya
6. Cleeland
7. Foran
8. Woods
9. Lichaa
10. Klemmer
11. Eastwood/Martin (GK)
12. Jackson (C)
13. RFM

14. Brown
15. Tolman
16. Fualalo
17. Taulau

18. Eastwood/Martin
I agree with that team with Pay to figure out between cleeland and nu brown....Brown was playing well for Sharks

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes priest is 28 but came from Mounties not panthers

Raiders identified him as talent , gave him chance to train with first grade in pre season then developed him from there

Not a junior in your typical "young" sense
But raiders watch all the junior and local league games and pick from there too
Every year they offer 5-6 guys chances of training for a contract

Des hasn't done that , hasn't bothered with local or juniors at all

Expect Dean to do alot more of that

If a big name doesn't put in at training / on the field Dean wont be scared to drop them for a no name
He's a penrith junior who went through their 20s team. He got a start with Mounties because he wasn't good enough for Penrith ISP. At best he is a plodder with a couple of years left in him. Still, he would be better value than Abbey is and at half the price would leave us with money to put elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.