New Bulldogs coach Dean Pay’s position bombshells to revive Dogs of war in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

LucasFitzo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Pretty much confirms what we were all hoping that hes playing Klemmer and Woods in the front row, not playing Klemmer at lock. Interesting that Elliot is training at lock wonder where that leaves Tolman? Exactly what i think most of us wanted still interesting to see it actually happened haha

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...8/news-story/470631e5df17f0da9ac3d6613e37bfd9

DEAN pay is set to make several positional changes to his new look Bulldogs side.

What Pay has essentially done is take a machete to the team of old, dice it up and drive a ‘Dogs of war’ branding iron into the left over carcass.

After finishing 2017 as the worst attacking team in the competition under the tutelage of Des Hasler, the new boss of Belmore has made several changes in a bid to correct Hasler’s fatal flaw.
The most notable switch is Moses Mbye leaving his home in the halves for a fresh start at fullback.

While Will Hopoate did an admirable job last year, Pay has opted for a ball playing No.1 in a mission to spark the attack.
The 23-year-old enjoyed a breakout season which saw him make his representative debut for Country and extend his contract a further three seasons.

With Elliott the more creative type, Klemmer’s switch will allow him to do what he does best.

“It’s the same sort of role playing at lock,” Klemmer explained.

“Some teams play different roles, they’re more of a ball player. In the front row, Deano’s come in and told me what he wants from me. I’m really excited. He’s got some good things coming for us.

“He’s told me my role already. I just have to take the ball up hard and tackle and not let my teammates down.”

Having lost Josh Reynolds to the Wests Tigers and Mbye changing positions, the Bulldogs will run with a fresh partnership in the halves this year.
hile marquee man Kieran Foran is a certainty to start, the door remains wide open for whoever will partner him.

Matt Frawley made 11 appearances in 2017 and done himself no harm over the pre-season according to Mbye.

“Matt Frawley has really put his best foot forward,” Mbye said.

“He’s been training the house down beside Kieran in the limited sessions Kieran’s done through injury but there’s definitely some healthy competition there. We’ve got a new recruit in Nu Brown who has come over from the Sharks and Josh Cleeland who has stepped up from the ISP side.

“It’s going to be a battle between those guys. We’ve got some trials coming up. It’s going to be a tough decision for Dean to make.”

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Tolman will be on the bench like i said ages ago. It's obvious what Pay is doing and i'm happy that it looks like Pay has decided to take a risk and move Elliott to starting lock in place of going for the safe option in Tolman.

Elliott is more agile, agressive, can run a line and has some decent ball skills. I do think he is an average player at this time but he does have some potential there to work with and is far more likely to make a better lock in todays game than Tolman.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Going off reports looks like this could be the team Rd1

1. Mbye
2. Bmoz
3. Jmoz
4. Hoppa
5. Montoya
6. Foran
7. ???
8. Klemmer
9. Lichaa
10. Woods
11. Jackson
12. ???
13. Elliot

14. Tolman
15. Fualalo
16. Brown
17. ???

Sounds like Frawley will start at halfback. You’d think RFM will take the 12 jersey on the left edge. Leaves one bench spot up for grabs. Maybe Martin? Would rather Tualalu gets a bench spot over Tolman. Fuck des

LucasFitzo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think from other reports that i have read and heard from someone close to the club aswell that RFM has made an edge his own and has been training the house down. Which is great to see, as i thought he was one of our best forwards with limited minutes under the dud Des.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Going off reports looks like this could be the team Rd1

1. Mbye
2. Bmoz
3. Jmoz
4. Hoppa
5. Montoya
6. Foran
7. ???
8. Klemmer
9. Lichaa
10. Woods
11. Jackson
12. ???
13. Elliot

14. Tolman
15. Fualalo
16. Brown
17. ???

Sounds like Frawley will start at halfback. You’d think RFM will take the 12 jersey on the left edge. Leaves one bench spot up for grabs. Maybe Martin? Would rather Tualalu gets a bench spot over Tolman. Fuck des
RFM will be starting on the left edge, Lichaa has mentioned he has been killing it there. If RFM can concentrate over the 80, then he will be a key player for us this season. He also doesn't need to make a massive amount of tackles to wear him down, just make the ones that he needs to.

I also don't think we need a backrower on the bench and loading up with Tolman, Fualalu and Tualau will be more important to maintaining momentum through the middle and winning games. Last spot should probably go to Brown to cover injury.

terrylamb4lyfe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
RFM looks like he's going to be a future gun, in limited minutes he was looking extremely hard to stop. All goes well I can see him having a breakout season this year.

I must have missed the part where there was discussion about Tolman playing at lock. Just doesn't seem to make any sense to me at all, he doesn't have the mobility.

Mr Shhh

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
RFM will be starting on the left edge, Lichaa has mentioned he has been killing it there. If RFM can concentrate over the 80, then he will be a key player for us this season. He also doesn't need to make a massive amount of tackles to wear him down, just make the ones that he needs to.

I also don't think we need a backrower on the bench and loading up with Tolman, Fualalu and Tualau will be more important to maintaining momentum through the middle and winning games. Last spot should probably go to Brown to cover injury.

Couldn't agree more

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
RFM looks like he's going to be a future gun, in limited minutes he was looking extremely hard to stop. All goes well I can see him having a breakout season this year.

I must have missed the part where there was discussion about Tolman playing at lock. Just doesn't seem to make any sense to me at all, he doesn't have the mobility.
There were a few people on here saying it, so he can “tackle all day”......but they were forgetting that there’s also another part of the game called attack..

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I agree.
Personally I didn’t think pay would bench Tolman considering what he’s being paid, but I’m glad it looks that way. This is definitely a better balanced pack.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Do people rate taulau? I only saw a bit of him last year coz I stopped watching games as I’m not a true doggies supporter.
But I’m bias coz willie taulau was my top 5 bulldogs players when I was growing up and would always rape parra, and this guy has his same last name. So I’m blind in love

Last edited:

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I rate tualau mate: reckon he will be big for us this year off the bench. Bends the line and looks to have some **** in him!!!

Just what we need and have lacked!

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Do people rate taulau? I only saw a bit of him last year coz I stopped watching games as I’m not a true doggies supporter.
But I’m bias coz willie taulau was my top 5 bulldogs players when I was growing up and would always rape parra, and this guy has his same last name. So I’m blind in love
Should've spent the time reading. His name is Tualau not Talau.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Spot on!

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
I reckon Tualau is in for a big year he is beasty. He is a must on the bench along with the hard running Fualalo.

WestBeast

Peyow Peyow
Reaction score
Tolman will be on the bench like i said ages ago. It's obvious what Pay is doing and i'm happy that it looks like Pay has decided to take a risk and move Elliott to starting lock in place of going for the safe option in Tolman.

Elliott is more agile, agressive, can run a line and has some decent ball skills. I do think he is an average player at this time but he does have some potential there to work with and is far more likely to make a better lock in todays game than Tolman.
Yea Elliot is very similar to finucane if he can do what he does for the storm happy days

Status
Not open for further replies.