Negotiation techniques for used car buyers

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Not used cars but how pushy are the people who try to sell you tinting, paint protection and finance? It’s like every dodgy tailor in Thailand and every fake watch salesman in Bali has morphed into one! Even when you’re paying cash they’ll try to convince you finance is better haha

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not used cars but how pushy are the people who try to sell you tinting, paint protection and finance? It’s like every dodgy tailor in Thailand and every fake watch salesman in Bali has morphed into one! Even when you’re paying cash they’ll try to convince you finance is better haha
You never take.up that ridiculous paint protection.. a dealer principal told me they buy the product for $149.. change $2000 to put in on, $1500 if you haggle.

Biggest rip off.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
You never take.up that ridiculous paint protection.. a dealer principal told me they buy the product for $149.. change $2000 to put in on, $1500 if you haggle.

Biggest rip off.
Haha yep dealers have been busted getting kids to put turtle wax on instead. Dodgy industry

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know a few shrewd negotiators. I'm tough but these guys will leave the seller with little In their hands. They will find the soft spot and relentlessly keep pounding away

If it were a boxing match, they could knock their opponents at any point , but they dont, they carry them for 10 long rounds and just keep whacking the same spot.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I know a few shrewd negotiators. I'm tough but these guys will leave the seller with little In their hands. They will find the soft spot and relentlessly keep pounding away

If it were a boxing match, they could knock their opponents at any point , but they dont, they carry them for 10 long rounds and just keep whacking the same spot.
I’d tell them to fuck off and block their numbers. Plenty of buyers out there but I always trade cars in so I don’t have to deal with scabs

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’d tell them to fuck off and block their numbers. Plenty of buyers out there but I always trade cars in so I don’t have to deal with scabs
Trade cars in? You obviously don't care about money. You always get more selling privately. Always..

I know a few dealer principals and they will burn you on a trade in.. otherwise belt you on the new car purchase, if they don't like you, they will hit you both ways..

Low trade
full price new car
Expensive finance
Paint protection + tints etc.

It's like you are hit for a home run with bases loaded.

Even the shrewd negotiators won't hit you like that..

You gotta take a few variables off the dealer so you know what sort of a deal your getting, not let them disguise the punches

Last edited:

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Trade cars in? You obviously don't care about money. You always get more selling privately. Always..

I know a few dealer principals and they will burn you on a trade in.. otherwise belt you on the new car purchase, if they don't like you, they will hit you both ways..

Low trade
full price new car
Expensive finance
Paint protection + tints etc.

It's like you are hit for a home run with bases loaded.

Even the shrewd negotiators won't hit you like that..

You gotta take a few variables off the dealer so you know what sort of a deal your getting, not let them disguise the punches
I just couldn’t be bothered dealing with tight arses and time wasters selling a used car. I did once when I was a teenager and never will again.

When I buy a car I know what I want, have already done my research and will bounce prices off other dealerships if need be. I’ll test drive without the dealer. I’ll pay cash/transfer and don’t want to muck around. I’ll tell the dealer if the finance people harass me the deal is off. The dealers know they’ll either get an easy straightforward sale or none at all depending purely on how they act and negotiate.

As for the tinting and paint protection, I know a guy who does a great job on dark tinting and I can buy my own turtle wax :grinning:

Mr Shhh

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you mean…..fake watch salesman in Bali.
I bought a beautiful Rolex platinum Dimond pearl master for $84 marked down from $277,000.
Are you saying it’s fake?