Need help with Rugby League Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
Hi guys

Just wondering if some of you that play or have played league could help me out.

I'm starting as strength and conditioning coach for my sons U/13 rugby league team and was wondering what sort of exercises I should get them to do besides the basics listed below. Keep in mind they are 13 yrs old.

So far it’s looking like this:

Start Stretch

Cardio
2-3 laps

Upper Body
- Push ups (wide)
- Push ups (decline)

Lower Body
- Squats
- Squats (jumping)

Core /Abs
-Sits ups
-Leg raises

Cardio/footwork
Burpies
Sprints with stepping
Sprints

Tackle bags

Finish Stretch

Thanks guys :p

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
a good thing to do is if they have a touch footy game, add the stipulation that the defenders who make the touch have to run back and touch their own tryline before getting back in the defensive line

that game used to kill me

Reaction score
just make sure u have a few different acivities so u can mix it up a bit from week to week, and dont forget to do some ball work :grinning:

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
Yeah there will be ball work on Thursdays. And at the end of the Tuesday sessions (which I'm running) towards the end of the pre season. They are all really unfit and I want to get them in shape before the season starts. I took them for a run on Sat and one of the props started crying after half a lap because he said he couldn't breathe properly. Kids these days! LOL

Malla

Reaction score
Mate, end of the day they're only 13 so try to add an element of fun to it. What you posted was definately on point in terms of fitness/core strengths but it'll bore the crap out of them. I remember as a 13 year old playing reps, bored the hell out of me doing laps and laps and laps and I just wanted to stop showing up to training. Instead of 2-3 lap warm up, as Rodzilla said let them play a game of touch. Better yet, you can mix it up and say for each try a team concedes, they need to rip out 10 pushups/situps/burpies/leg raises etc. They'll enjoy it.

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
Geez, 13 year olds have strength and conditioning coaches these days.

We had a coach and a manager.... We were real lucky to get someone to run water :p

Status
Not open for further replies.