Need for speed got Eastwood to 'Dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadiwrx

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If it wasn't for a bunch of speeding tickets, game-breaking lock Greg Eastwood may never have arrived at Canterbury.

What started out as a chance signing for the Bulldogs has quickly turned into an example of how loyalty isn't completely dead in the NRL.

And Eastwood will be looking to repay the faith in his second shot at a grand final for Canterbury on Sunday against South Sydney.

Homesick in the north of England during 2010, Eastwood wanted out of his Leeds Rhinos contract, but there was only one NRL club he wanted to come back to.

The Bulldogs offered Eastwood a lifeline the year before when the UK Border Agency had originally knocked back his visa request due to a poor driving record.

Without a home having quit Brisbane but already committed to a Rhinos contract he now wasn't immediately allowed to take up, if it wasn't for the show of goodwill from the Bulldogs, the Kiwi international would have been forced to sit out the '09 season.

As it turned out, he went all the way to a preliminary final.

So when Eastwood was battling wrist injuries and loneliness during his eventual one-year stint with Leeds, he was prepared to do anything to come back to the Bulldogs - including a STG100,000 ($A182,500) transfer fee coming out of his contract.

"I told Todd (Greenberg, Bulldogs chief executive at the time) I'll do anything to get back," Eastwood told Rugby League Week back in 2011.

"I really missed the club.

"(I'm getting) enough to live on, that's all I can say. It's going to take three years (to repay)."

With his debt repaid, Eastwood last year committed to a new Bulldogs deal and at the age of 27, the one-time unsettled journeyman looks like set to be a Belmore boy for the rest of his career.

Eastwood was left out of the Broncos' 2006 premiership-winning team, but has blossomed into one of the NRL's quiet achievers.

He was arguably the most influential player on the field when the Bulldogs started their finals' giant killing run against Melbourne, and came up with the definitive try-assist last week to sink Penrith just when the Panthers looked like coming home on top.

Bulldogs and Kiwi teammate Sam Perrett described Eastwood as an "inspiration".

"He's a huge strength for our team and without him, we would have struggled last week and this whole season," said Perrett.

"He's made plenty of clutch plays and game-changing decisions.

"Just the way he's come back from his trials and tribulations ... he's inspirational and a real leader."

© AAP 2014

Source

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Great story, he raised a level in that Storm game! More than happy for him to finish at the dogs, hope it happens for him.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
I've always loved Eastwood.

Even when he was with the Broncos, I picked him in fantasy footy not knowing anything about him because he was a cheap buy. Then I watched him and thought he looks like a likely type. I was stoked when we got him, sad when we lost him, and twice as stoked to get him back.

I hope he stays for 5 years. He's me new fave :grinning:

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I've always loved Eastwood.

Even when he was with the Broncos, I picked him in fantasy footy not knowing anything about him because he was a cheap buy. Then I watched him and thought he looks like a likely type. I was stoked when we got him, sad when we lost him, and twice as stoked to get him back.

I hope he stays for 5 years. He's me new fave :grinning:
Fantasy footy is good for that I find, makes you watch certain players a lot more than you usually would.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Always loved Beastwood, always will.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Beasty and jammer are my 2 fav players
if the guy was a lil taller hed be the best forward in the game alongside jammer
however he is and always will be a champion in my books

vietorious

pho-lawless
Reaction score
Has stepped up big time in the finals.

Has the ability to bend the line with light footwork. Has a decent but out pass and is deceptively quick. Great defender - i think players are scared to run at him. Will feature heavily if the Bulldogs come out winners on Sunday.

Barba

TANK
Reaction score
eastwood is one of the most under rated players in the game he has everything tbh and always steps up in the finals

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Never gets enough credit this bloke, he's also got a mean right foot step. Top bloke, top player happy he is loyal to the dogs.

DOGSOFWAR2013

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome step and often beats the 1st tackler. Creates fast play the balls or offloads.

Sauce Head

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would go as far to say he is a big game player. The semis this year he has lifted and who could forget his game against souffs in prelim 2012.
I heard he has scored the opening try twice against souffs. He is paying $36. I know where my $10 will be going.

El_Magic

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Easily one of my favourite players. He always seems to brush a few off. He doesn't look like he hits the line with alot of speed but **** he must be hard to tackle. His leg drive is so strong and he's got a big step on him.

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
great feet, an offload, hits like a truck and has a bit of pace. What more could we want?

Kelster

Waterboy
Reaction score
The Beast ALWAYS produces against Souffs, has done for last 3 years. When we win, he will have scored 1st try and Clive Churchill medal.

doggies_92

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Will never forget his second half performance against Souths in the 2012 preliminary final, what a legend!

yearofthedog

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would go as far to say he is a big game player. The semis this year he has lifted and who could forget his game against souffs in prelim 2012.
I heard he has scored the opening try twice against souffs. He is paying $36. I know where my $10 will be going.
Thanks for the tip ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.