NBN Plans / Modems

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
You reckon these ones go alright?

Only thing is, I have a Vodafone router, would I need to upgrade that being the weak link?
Orbi's are good. Google wifi goes well too, but Google wifi's downside is that it needs constant internet or it just won't work well at all.

Mesh networks are good, but they have issues with NBN FTTN. Fine if you're on FTTP.

But depends what you're doing. If it's for general work, video streaming, etc, then they're great.

If you're doing something more reliant on solid ping contently (online gaming, live game stream playing, Quest 2 wireless link) then you're better off with a hard wired Ethernet.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Orbi's are good. Google wifi goes well too, but Google wifi's downside is that it needs constant internet or it just won't work well at all.

Mesh networks are good, but they have issues with NBN FTTN. Fine if you're on FTTP.

But depends what you're doing. If it's for general work, video streaming, etc, then they're great.

If you're doing something more reliant on solid ping contently (online gaming, live game stream playing, Quest 2 wireless link) then you're better off with a hard wired Ethernet.
yeah it’s for general work but I like a good solid connection/speed. I upload and download things to and from servers, use cloud based design applications etc. just don’t want anything garbage that will piss me off and I will end up upgrading in a few months. My wife also works from home a lot, so 2 people, zoom calls etc.

im moving from an apartment to a house which will be fttp.

some thing I don’t really have a fundamental understanding of is router vs modem.

my mum is in a house and they hooked up a white nbn device inside, which she connects another Optus modem/router to.

can I just buy those netgear orbi thing, or do I need another device between the orbi and the nbn device? (Assuming I’m going to have one of those nbn devices in my house, not sure how it all works)

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
yeah it’s for general work but I like a good solid connection/speed. I upload and download things to and from servers, use cloud based design applications etc. just don’t want anything garbage that will piss me off and I will end up upgrading in a few months. My wife also works from home a lot, so 2 people, zoom calls etc.

im moving from an apartment to a house which will be fttp.

some thing I don’t really have a fundamental understanding of is router vs modem.

my mum is in a house and they hooked up a white nbn device inside, which she connects another Optus modem/router to.

can I just buy those netgear orbi thing, or do I need another device between the orbi and the nbn device? (Assuming I’m going to have one of those nbn devices in my house, not sure how it all works)
You should be right for that stuff. The only interruption you get is tiny glitches. Zoom/Teams compensates for that so you don't even notice it. It only causes issues if you're doing something like online gaming where you're lining up a headshot at you get 5ms of lag which means that you miss.

Basically for FTTP they provide an NBN Modem. Netgear Orbi's are a router setup. The first orbi acts as a router, the rest act as repeaters that send information to the main unit (router). Then the router sends it to the NBN modem.

If you had FTTN then it's more of a problem because you have a router, then a modem, then a modem. But for FTTP you'll be fine.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You should be right for that stuff. The only interruption you get is tiny glitches. Zoom/Teams compensates for that so you don't even notice it. It only causes issues if you're doing something like online gaming where you're lining up a headshot at you get 5ms of lag which means that you miss.

Basically for FTTP they provide an NBN Modem. Netgear Orbi's are a router setup. The first orbi acts as a router, the rest act as repeaters that send information to the main unit (router). Then the router sends it to the NBN modem.

If you had FTTN then it's more of a problem because you have a router, then a modem, then a modem. But for FTTP you'll be fine.
yeah it’s definitely pencilled in as FTTP, not sure if there’s a chance of that changing but i guess I’ll find out on Tuesday.

That’s awesome though just to be able to get those orbi things.

you don’t happen to know anything about projectors do you?Ha ha

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
yeah it’s definitely pencilled in as FTTP, not sure if there’s a chance of that changing but i guess I’ll find out on Tuesday.

That’s awesome though just to be able to get those orbi things.

you don’t happen to know anything about projectors do you?Ha ha
Hah. Nah. Well, a little. I know a lot about TV's and monitors, but never delved too much into projectors.

I have heard that the modern trend is bottom projectors that sit under the screen and fire up.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hah. Nah. Well, a little. I know a lot about TV's and monitors, but never delved too much into projectors.

I have heard that the modern trend is bottom projectors that sit under the screen and fire up.
Yeah I’ve seen a few of those, so expensive

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
You reckon these ones go alright?

Only thing is, I have a Vodafone router, would I need to upgrade that being the weak link?
Today, personally speaking I wouldn’t buy the AC3000 - which is WiFi-5, the previous standard. Right now if I’m investing it would be Wi-Fi 6 as a minimum, so this to me is a better choice for $200 extra:

re: Voda - NBN or cellular? If NBN, the Voda modem should be OK if that’s all it does - decodes the internet signal and passes it to the Orbi’s for distribution around the house. That’s what bridge mode is for.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score

Short throw projectors are getting better and better. I’m not far from buying one as a great compromise between picture quality and aesthetics.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Today, personally speaking I wouldn’t buy the AC3000 - which is WiFi-5, the previous standard. Right now if I’m investing it would be Wi-Fi 6 as a minimum, so this to me is a better choice for $200 extra:

re: Voda - NBN or cellular? If NBN, the Voda modem should be OK if that’s all it does - decodes the internet signal and passes it to the Orbi’s for distribution around the house. That’s what bridge mode is for.
Yeah it’s NBN modem from Voda. The first one they released, I believe they have updated it since. Maybe I can keep the voda modem and buy just one of the mesh things? Does that even count as a “mesh” system?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah it’s NBN modem from Voda. The first one they released, I believe they have updated it since. Maybe I can keep the voda modem and buy just one of the mesh things? Does that even count as a “mesh” system?
Yep, Orbi and Linksys are both mesh.
Mesh basically means more than one router on a network operating under a single SSID (SSID = Wi-Fi network name). I don’t think you need to replace the modem assuming Voda release firmware updates for it, they should automatically apply by power cycling it.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yep, Orbi and Linksys are both mesh.
Mesh basically means more than one router on a network operating under a single SSID (SSID = Wi-Fi network name). I don’t think you need to replace the modem assuming Voda release firmware updates for it, they should automatically apply by power cycling it.
Oh yeah cool. Just another basic question, what are like the major features that should be compared when looking for the right system? Sounds like Wifi 6 would be a must (vs wifi 5).

what else should I be comparing? I don’t imagine I would need to interact with them much after set up so I think the app interface and usability wouldn’t be too important. That’s something that generally I place highvalue on.

looking at the one below, it’s wifi 6, but the price is much lower than the one you sent across, so there must be some shortfalls to it

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Oh yeah cool. Just another basic question, what are like the major features that should be compared when looking for the right system? Sounds like Wifi 6 would be a must (vs wifi 5).

what else should I be comparing? I don’t imagine I would need to interact with them much after set up so I think the app interface and usability wouldn’t be too important. That’s something that generally I place highvalue on.

looking at the one below, it’s wifi 6, but the price is much lower than the one you sent across, so there must be some shortfalls to it

The difference is the cheaper one is dual band (2.4GHz/5GHz), which most likely suits you for today and the more expensive one is tri-band (2.4GHz/5GHz/6GHz). Bands become saturated as more devices are connected to networks, so tri-band is future proofing - giving you better bandwidth / performance for the longer term. Many people say they won’t need much more than they have today but as more household devices get ‘smarter’ ie: washing machines and fridges and they connect to those networks, soon enough the 5GHz band will be clogged as well and you’ll be back to square one. Just comes down to budget and prediction of future needs.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The difference is the cheaper one is dual band (2.4GHz/5GHz), which most likely suits you for today and the more expensive one is tri-band (2.4GHz/5GHz/6GHz). Bands become saturated as more devices are connected to networks, so tri-band is future proofing - giving you better bandwidth / performance for the longer term. Many people say they won’t need much more than they have today but as more household devices get ‘smarter’ ie: washing machines and fridges and they connect to those networks, soon enough the 5GHz band will be clogged as well and you’ll be back to square one. Just comes down to budget and prediction of future needs.
Alright… I think I’ve found something that is a good balance between budget and features. It’s wifi 6, tri-band (I’ve got cameras, smart TVs etc so thought tri band would be suitable)… my only q is… it has a “router” and a “satellite”. Now… I already have a router, so can I use the orbi router and satellite as 2 satellites?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Alright… I think I’ve found something that is a good balance between budget and features. It’s wifi 6, tri-band (I’ve got cameras, smart TVs etc so thought tri band would be suitable)… my only q is… it has a “router” and a “satellite”. Now… I already have a router, so can I use the orbi router and satellite as 2 satellites?
What router do you have?
It’s separate from your modem?
Does it do anything else other than distribute Wi-Fi?

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What router do you have?
It’s separate from your modem?
Does it do anything else other than distribute Wi-Fi?
Shit I think I’ve gotten my terminology mixed up.. I have the Vodafone supplied NBN modem. It’s hooked into the white NBN box. I connect my devices to the Vodafone modem. The specs are here under the Vodafone WiFi hub specs (I’ve got the first edition, not the 2.0)

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Shit I think I’ve gotten my terminology mixed up.. I have the Vodafone supplied NBN modem. It’s hooked into the white NBN box. I connect my devices to the Vodafone modem. The specs are here under the Vodafone WiFi hub specs (I’ve got the first edition, not the 2.0)
No worries. You need the Voda modem to decode the internet signal from your ISP regardless. After you set up the Orbi’s, you log into the modem using your ISP supplied credentials (IP Address, U/N, P/W) and set the modem to ‘Bridge Mode’. This makes it a modem only, disabling it acting as a distributor of Wi-Fi (as it does today). The main Orbi unit (physically connected to the modem) then becomes your ‘router’ - including distributing Wi-Fi directly to devices and to the satellite Orbi, which in turn will offer Wi-Fi to devices within its vicinity (whichever Orbi provides the strongest signal). Clear as mud?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
No worries. You need the Voda modem to decode the internet signal from your ISP regardless. After you set up the Orbi’s, you log into the modem using your ISP supplied credentials (IP Address, U/N, P/W) and set the modem to ‘Bridge Mode’. This makes it a modem only, disabling it acting as a distributor of Wi-Fi (as it does today). The main Orbi unit (physically connected to the modem) then becomes your ‘router’ - including distributing Wi-Fi directly to devices and to the satellite Orbi, which in turn will offer Wi-Fi to devices within its vicinity (whichever Orbi provides the strongest signal). Clear as mud?

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So do I have to connect one of the orbis to the Vodafone modem via a cable? So they main orbi and my current Vodafone modem will be pretty much sitting next to each other?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The Vodafone Wifi Hub is most likely just acting as a router if you're plugging it into the white NBN box (the white NBN box is an HFC modem). In this case you could probably connect the first Orbi directly to the white NBN box. But you'll lose any internet phone service you have. And it may need some configuration to work.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The Vodafone Wifi Hub is most likely just acting as a router if you're plugging it into the white NBN box (the white NBN box is an HFC modem). In this case you could probably connect the first Orbi directly to the white NBN box. But you'll lose any internet phone service you have. And it may need some configuration to work.
I’ve got a FTTP connection, the box looks like the one in the link below. That box is connected to the WAN port on the Vodafone modem. There’s no other cables going into the Vodafone modem (no DSL or LAN) other than power