National Anthem - Remix

Status
Not open for further replies.

PantherPower83

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Havn't found a thread or post yet on this, but what were people's thoughts on having the national anthem sung both in Aboriginal and English?

Reminded me of the NZ anthem. At first, I was laughing at the blatant political statement being made only resulting from the Andrew Johns racism saga...but on second thought, it might not be such a bad idea for the country moving forward...

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I said the exact same thing. "The Kiwis do this"

I don't mind it if it pleases the Aboriginal community.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
But i thought there was over 200 aboriginal dialects. It wont work as it wont please everyone.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
p.s. the aboriginal girl who sang the anthem looked exactly like greg inglis

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
But i thought there was over 200 aboriginal dialects. It wont work as it wont please everyone.
They are a hard bunch to please TBH.

PantherPower83

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Surely there's a main dialect that could represent all? If it gets all technical about that, then f*** me better to keep it the way it is then hehe

x2

MeskBrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i obviously didnt understand a ****ing word she said.

Vargster

Moderfaker
Reaction score
I thought it was alright. When I first saw it I saw thinking 'oh dead, this is going to be tragic.'. But it was quite good, and didn't drag on for too long.

My mates and I were talking about another point from the opening of SOO which we all had differing views on. The minute's silence for the war / fallen.

Now please don't think I'm an as$hole, but this is so typically American. I believe that those 2 men who died should be remembered and respects should be paid. - but why at SOO, or any Australian sporting event for that matter? They did this in game 2 (and possibly in game 1, can't remember) also. I've been in the states a few times and at EVERY sporting event, even in high schools, they have a minutes silence before each game for those who are serving / who have died in the war. It's obvious why they do it in America - it builds support for the war campaign and gets the whole country behind it. But why here?

Please don't let this turn into a war is wrong / war is right debate, just wondering what you guys feel about the whole minutes silence and the fact that NRL is become more and more like grid iron every year.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
you have no idea how much im laughing right now hahahaha wow

M

mongoose

They are a hard bunch to please TBH.
Naa. they are huge on words and symbolism. If we beat ourselves up a lot about them and try to slam their culture into everything we do, they are happy. The fact that aboriginal life expectancy is still in the gutter as well as child abuse, substance abuse, domestic violence occurcences in most Aboriginal communities doesnt seem to worry the leaders as much tbh.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I thought it was alright. When I first saw it I saw thinking 'oh dead, this is going to be tragic.'. But it was quite good, and didn't drag on for too long.

My mates and I were talking about another point from the opening of SOO which we all had differing views on. The minute's silence for the war / fallen.

Now please don't think I'm an as$hole, but this is so typically American. I believe that those 2 men who died should be remembered and respects should be paid. - but why at SOO, or any Australian sporting event for that matter? They did this in game 2 (and possibly in game 1, can't remember) also. I've been in the states a few times and at EVERY sporting event, even in high schools, they have a minutes silence before each game for those who are serving / who have died in the war. It's obvious why they do it in America - it builds support for the war campaign and gets the whole country behind it. But why here?

Please don't let this turn into a war is wrong / war is right debate, just wondering what you guys feel about the whole minutes silence and the fact that NRL is become more and more like grid iron every year.
Vargster, I totally get where you're coming from. I do understand that it can be used as propaganda but we're in a different situation. I'd guess an American solider would die everyday so they'd need to do it at every sporting event but us Aussies are lucky in terms of soldier deaths (Even though 1 is too much).

I don't mind the minute silence TBH. I do have a problem with fckheads who feel the need to talk or shout things out during it though.

MeskBrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
all i could hear was sniff petrol this sniff petrol that.

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
Thought it was good but it really only happened for one reason...

dogkat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No.

What she used was the dialect of the Eora people. It's more central to Sydney than NSW.
I don't know the amount of different languages / dialects Australia wide, but I know that it is a vast amount.

I struggle to imagine all the various Aboriginal Peoples (and their individual clans) agreeing to allow only one language to be representative of them all.

I'm a bit cynical about that.

As to the minutes silence - I would worry about it being trivialised. I think if it was held at every sporting event, it would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.