Nathan Tinkler's plan to slash family ticket prices at Newcastle Knights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
Good on him if this is true...

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ewcastle-knights/story-e6frexnr-1226022141020

NATHAN Tinkler will slash the price of family tickets to home games in Newcastle to as little as $15 if he takes ownership of the Knights at the end of the month.
The mining magnate is poised to unveil a new ticketing structure for home games at Ausgrid Stadium within the next few weeks which could save families more than $200 a season - a major selling point of his bid to buy the club.

Currently, pre-purchase ticket prices for Knights matches range from $55 up to $112 per family per game.

A general admission family season pass for two adults and two children costs $380 or $660 for a season pass which guarantees the family low category grandstand seats.

Under the Tinkler plan, families would pay as little as $180.Tinkler Sports Group executive chairman Ken Edwards confirmed yesterday the new ticketing plan would come into effect immediately if Tinkler gained control of the Knights at an extraordinary general meeting of club members on March 31.

"Nathan is very firm in his belief that it's too expensive for families to regularly go to games," Edwards said.

"It is the same with memberships. I think the Knights currently have around 6000 to 7000 members. He can see no reason why that number can't be swelled to 20,000.

"It's about connecting with the people of the Hunter in a meaningful way and part of that is making it more affordable to watch their team play at home. Nathan doesn't want empty seats at the stadium simply because people who would love to be there supporting the team can't because they can't afford it."

Tinkler rolled out a similar structure when he took over A-League's Newcastle Jets.

Tinkler Sports Group spokesman Richard Fisk said no existing season ticket holder would be disadvantaged.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
just a quick question, who gets the money if the club is sold?

The Beer Baron

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prices will go down if membership goes up, otherwise they'll lose a lot of money. For membership to go up they need success and to have 'big name' players at the club. Just trying to buy back locals won't help.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Don't spend as much from your dole cheque on booze, coke and ciggies and the price of tickets will be less harmful to the wallet!

In a round about way my taxes are probably paying for some of their yearly memberships I'm sure.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
good on tinkler. pity more clubs dont do the same, looks better to have a full stadium at a cheaper rate, then nearly empty at full price

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
They will pack the place out.

Jets improved a lot when he got involved, Knights would probably do even better

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They can make the money back by upping the price for sponsorship knowing they can increase exposure for potential sponsors. I think its good that he is doing this and making it more affordable for fams. I don't know how much they benefit from sales of food/drinks/ beer at the ground, so the more people in the ground the more food and drinks will be sold and we all know how ridiculous the price of food and drinks is at the footy.

Status
Not open for further replies.