Nathan Cleary overated

86Gtown

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I have always seen him as a way over rated player. The hype around this guy is ridiculous and last night highlighted it.Lasts nights game was terrible and he was doing nothing. Then because he kicks a conversion and a field goal the comentators reach hype overdrive talking him up immediatly.if the tigers had a decent goal kicker panthers lose. It bothers me that a player can be picked for origin because of "the player he is going to be" and not based on his actual skill level. While we gave players like adam reynolds who is a tough little bugger and pretty consistent. And finally THAT CHIN!! Give us ur thoughts on the guy.

Attachments

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The whole Penrith team atm are playing terrible. Cleary is a great player and will come to form. Even Maloney has done nothing this season and he is far from an over hyped nothing.
You have to admit though, that drop goal was a pearler and the sideline conversion was also great.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I rate players by work ethic over skill. Once they start believing the praise the genuine ones become superstars , the lazy ones just get worse.
Ennis is the best example of a player who just kept getting better and better because he had the most unwavering work ethic I've ever seen .

Last edited:

hotdogs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
absolutely agree. He is a solid player who just does his job.has no x factor, runs slow as hasn't much speed and never takes games by the scruff off the neck and be dominant influence .
Sort of reminds me of Trent hodko.
Great goalkick.
His dad was a better player and he was just ok.

Tazer

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Cleary is a solid hb and that's about it. The comparison to Hodgkinson is very accurate imo

For the money he is on though (highest paid player in Panthers history) he is spectacularly over rated. Hodgo would have been in about one fifth of his salary at his peak.

The media love him though so he can do no wrong. That conversion and fg were the first decent things he's done all year.

86Gtown

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The whole Penrith team atm are playing terrible. Cleary is a great player and will come to form. Even Maloney has done nothing this season and he is far from an over hyped nothing.
You have to admit though, that drop goal was a pearler and the sideline conversion was also great.
Im not saying hes not a good player and he done well with both kicks last night, but they talk him up like he is a future immortal. Last years origin series highlighted that he doesn't have a very long kick on him qld were catching the ball at the 20m and getting tackled at 30m nearly every kick cleary put in. It was similar in the first 2 games but qld didn't kick to well either. As soon as they had cherry evans the won the battle of field position.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Absolutely, I'm not saying he's a bad player or anything stupid like that but he's massively overrated. Does he have potential? Yes. Doesn't virtually every single player in the nrl have potential?

He's lucky he's had a player like Maloney next to him to take some pressure off of him. I'd like to see him carry/control a team on his own.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't think it's his fault that he's overrated, being an origin player now has raised people's expectations that he will perform to that standard week in week out that they forget he is still learning.....i do agree that he looked lost last night and shouldn't be earning the type of money until he's proven himself. Players like Thurston started getting their really big pay cheques towards the back end of their career..

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Haven't paid much attention to him. But it's not good business to pay massive dollars to youngsters on long term contracts in my opinion. We made that mistake with Mbye and he never seemed to feel the need to contribute to the game. But halves have a big advantage in contract negotiations. And given that clubs can't pay out contracts it allows players to coast to a large extent. The only option for clubs to entice players to perform is giving a stint in the lower grades which might embarrass them into bigger effort.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He is a good player, not great but good. I think he still has another level to go to but his a half I'd love to have at the club. He needs a more off the cuff style 5/8 next to him though, I really hope we get to see a Cleary/Keary combo this year in origin. He has a cracking short kicking game and will hopefully improve his long kicking game as he gains more experience and gets older. He passes well and for a player his age he leads the team around the field pretty well. He plays beyond his years as a 21 year old half tbh.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I rate players by work ethic over skill. Once they start believing the praise the one genuine ones become superstars , the lazy ones just get worse.
Ennis is the best example of a player who just kept getting better and better because he had the most unwavering work ethic I've ever seen .
Ennis had his best year of footy in his final year. He could have easily played the next year with the form he was in. A shame our stupid ex coach gave him the flick

Brizdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
As long a Pearce doesn't play origin again I'm happy with Cleary. Yes he is overrated but so is Pearce, Ben Hunt, Shaun Johnson. If Pearce plays origin Qld win that simple.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ennis had his best year of footy in his final year. He could have easily played the next year with the form he was in. A shame our stupid ex coach gave him the flick
Ennis would be still happy that he was given the flick, as he is now a Premiership winning player.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yup overrated he is, he pulled off 2 big kicks for that win though..

The name is his downfall lol. Way to muck pressure way to early into his career. He will be an solid/ average halfback for the rest of it but that’s about it.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Good solid player yes but not great.. not worth 1 million dollars per year..

I also have the same opinion of Michael Morgan - think he looked great outside of JT.. on his own a good player but not great..

Jean-Claude Juncker

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Speaking of that game, when did Josh Reynolds develop such a precise short kicking game?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I rate players by work ethic over skill. Once they start believing the praise the genuine ones become superstars , the lazy ones just get worse.
Pity he’s such an oozing dick!

If Ennis worked as hard as his mouth did/does, he’d be Cameron freakin’ Smith rather than just a good (but not great) player with a big fucking mouth. :D

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Agreed. He is fairly good, but very overrated. Had an ordinary game on Friday.