My take on how the NRL and Bulldogs should deal with the Barba situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alphamale

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
My idea for dealing with player releases under compassionate grounds (Incl. Barba)

At this point its pretty much a given that Barba is gone, but I don't think a simple release and cash compensation from the Broncos is a fair solution where it counts on the football field. Neither the dogs nor Broncos are hurting for money, our disadvantage would be the lack of available cap offloading Barba would give us to secure a suitable replacement.

The main issues here are:

1/ we lose any benefit from signing a raw talent on a generous contract for the time and investing in them over the last few years until they became an elite player. Yes Barba is worth more than what he's currently on, but only because the club took a gamble when he wasn't even a regular in 1st grade. Realistically we should be rewarded for the investment we've made and if he's just let go we won't get anywhere near the same quality of player for his current contract value.

2/ The broncos know they are in the box seat being a one team town and realistically don't have to offer him near what they would if he was on the open market no strings attached. That means they are at a salary cap advantage to all other teams as they will be paying massive unders for an elite player, not market value.

The NRL will want us to release him to support the family image of the game, but we shouldn't be disadvantaged and the broncos shouldn't get even more of a leg up than they already do.

Here's how I think it should go down for Barba and any similar future cases:

1/ The Bronco's can only pay Barba the same amount he's currently contracted to (say for example $350k per year), including third party deals etc - this removes the incentive for players to move for more money mid contract under the guise of compassionate reasons.

2/ The NRL independently assess Barba's current value as current Daly M Medalist, Elite fullback, face of the game etc etc by referencing it against other similar players. Lets say they value him at 700K per season.

3/ The broncos only pay him 350k, but get charged with 700k under their salary cap, and they pay us the $350k gap each year as compensation

4/ The dogs get a salary cap credit of 700k when he is released instead of his contract value of 350k so they can replace him with a player of comparable value and standing in the game.

This way Barba and family are happy, the broncos get their man at a fair price, we get compensation and are also allowed to sign a fair replacement for Barba. Bam.

Last edited by a moderator:

Snowmann

Party Rocker
Reaction score
**** me..another Barba thread. Seriously mods, you guys need to do something, this is now becoming a joke.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
We all appreciate your opinion or input OP. But yeh another thread for it? Really?

We are all getting a Bit Ben thread weary, and this could have just been a post/reply in the other 50 Barba threads.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Rename the thread to "Adjusting the salary cap".

There is some great points in there that are quite valid!

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I have no problem with this thread. OP raises some valid points worthy of more discussion, that would likely have been lost in the piles of complaining and vitriol on the other threads.

Alphamale

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Thanks Billy, gave this its own thread as it looks at it beyond just the Barba issue but moving forward ways to deal with similar scenarios. Most of the other Barba threads are pointless mudslinging and venting at this point, was hoping to have an informed discussion in this one.

El_Magic

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty good ideas actually.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

NallaC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Great points with regards to the cap.In my opinion the whole cap system needs to be reviewed.

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This is a valid stand alone thread, good points.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Rename the thread to "Adjusting the salary cap".

There is some great points in there that are quite valid!
I can agree with this. Maybe dont sell the thread as a barba thread because the OP does make some good points.

Starting new threads with Barba in the title right now is likely to have ppl thinking ohhh noooo not another one, before they even read it.

Symm

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I like your train of thought, mate.
Someone slide this to the NRL!

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
BArba will never accept 350K

terrylamb4lyfe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Read the exact same thing that this guy suggested on twitter days ago. I suspect he read the same tweet? i think someone in here had linked it.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Any player that breaks a contract should not be allowed to be registered by the nrl to another club for the duration of the existing contract. If he cant stand to live without family and 'has no other choice' than he can sit out footy for two years and get a real fcukn job to support his family. Same too with the ferguson situation, the bloke is imo trying to get himself sacked so that the raiders piss him off. If this happens he shouldnt be allowed to play for the remaining 2 yrs of contract. That will get him off the bottle.

H

HajdukSplit

The NRL should scrap out personal player agents and have one agent per club only.

Each agent is employed directly by the club and negotiations are done through the clubs and not around them. Agents dont receive any commission and are employed on a salary only.

Status
Not open for further replies.