My Journey to the NRL Bulldogs squad

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Time to share something deeply personal with you all, and bring you all some insight into my multi year journey from a simple hood rat to a hopeful NRL spot as a depth player with the Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs.

Some of you may be interested as to why now? Why at age 30 have I decided to pursue this dream of playing the NRL?

There has been a few reasons that have led to this moment.

A bit of background. Growing up I was a sick player. Had the ability to throw cut outs (2 players) a left foot step, speed, a dummy left and right, and a torpedo bomb in my arsenal.

Would regularly carve up at Burwood Park in the fun amateur games, where all the boys in the area would just come down and play. No Bs rego or anything like that. No Bs send offs for punching. Just the boys. Lining each other up and playing old school rugby league. Talk shit get hit. All in brawls. But talented players. Most games would fizzle out by the 30 min mark because of all the fighting, as most weeks guys would get so angry and it would just be threats to burn the other players pizza shop, getting cousins from gangs, ‘one phone call 8 cars bro’ that sorts of thing. One guy even had a knife in his sock once and slashed this Afghan guy in the hand for not passing to the outside man. Was full on.
But when the game was focused, it was good stuff.
I used to go down to watch. And eventually I was asked to play. I scored two tries on debut! and also put this fat Syrian guy through a hole to score with a deft touch.
It was sensational and I became a regular at those games when I was 14/15.
I then joined a local club and played alright. Few tries here and there. Held my own, gained some confidence and once scored 3 tries!
Then unfortunately, I quickly realised the way the game was going from about 2005 onwards.
Players were getting bigger and stronger.
Little players were getting phased out.
When I saw Tallis throw Hodgson like a doll in origin I switched off the tv as I knew I would have to be 100 kilo plus to make it. Even the old boys didn’t even play the amateur games anymore at that point I don’t
Think.
I am not even that little. 5’4 with shoes and 56 kilos through most of my adult life. But in the 2010s that wasn’t going to be good enough to get a start so gave up and went back to being a hood doing gangsta thangs in Breakfast point.

Fast forward to the present.

I’m watching the same games you are the last few years and like everyone at frustrated.
I’m watching the games and saying to myself ‘Luke Thompson is out there and needs some help’ and I decided I need to be the one to do it. Sick of watching germs like Wakeman step up to first grade as a depth half and doing nothing.
But when I sobered up I didn’t take it too serious. Thought it would never happen really.

Then, I got banned from The Kennel.

All of a sudden I don’t know what to do in my life? Do I get a job? Fuck that.
Why pay tax and get up before 12.
Do I pursue amateur law? Wherein I Represent the boys when they want cheap representation at local court? Sure? But what’s that? Once a month gig? Most in jail now anyway.
Do I try and get my licence back and get back into Uber driving? Feels like that type of work is in my blood. But then I need a car and a new licence and I’ll just get caught drunk driving again so pass.

I go on a period of self reflection for days.
966BD46D-67E3-49CC-92E6-243B7DFD3C15.jpeg

(Side chick took this during one of the moments of self reflection ^).
Then one night I had another turning point.
I was surfing YouTube at 2am watching Tommy innit videos and I stumble upon a documentary about ice.
So started watching, and couldn’t believe what I was watching.
I learnt a lot about it. It isn’t true what everyone says that it is just like having a can of red bull.
There’s all these side effects like losing teeth and that.
I was shocked decided to quit after my next batch was done.
And that I did. And won’t be back and urge others to never do it.
Then I watched the Broncos dogs game and saw more putrid rubbish on field and blew up and decided I need to be there. I kept thinking someone like Frawley was so much better as depth.
But this time was different.
What’s stopping me?
I can pass all drug tests now. I am healthy.
I have a shot load of time in my hands. No kennel.
The game has taken a drastic turn and all of a sudden the fit slimmer guys like myself are coming to the fore.
So I made my decision to do it.
The planets have aligned.
And to be honest if I don’t start now, it’ll never happen. If I wait two more years I probably won’t get picked up as it’s a few years journey. Now I can still have a good career age 33-36 if I get the ball rolling but I can’t at 35. I’m realistic.

But the problem is I have no money.

so I called around the area and found a mate that trains dogs to fight each other. He agreed to help me if I delivered something for him to Wollongong a few times. Not sure what it was but seemed like a sweet deal so shook hands and he gave me a plan.
I also figured out that if I hang around the front of Plus fitness or anytime fitness, you can sneak in if you catch the door and pretend to be a member.

so I have been managing to get to the gym 4 times a week and eat well.
And as of today I’m up to 60 kgs! 4 kilo gain.
but I realise I need another 5 to go at least.

I have also taken my first step to match fitness.
I have signed up with a local American Football team and have started training with them. I’ll be able to run angles well and get aerobic fit.

12272F2F-52E9-4224-B113-AE84C0814369.jpeg
250A8A57-58D8-4C57-8D67-5B036A4381E3.jpeg
That’s my cousin Aleem with me.

The journey so far has been good but it has not always been easy.
Sometimes I’m at the gym and feel like giving up and what’s the point?
But then in those moments I close my eyes and imagine the flag.
Two red bars, and the cedar tree in between.
My mind fantasises about that tree on the flag.
I imagine it coming to life and swaying in the wind. The fresh mountain air behind Beirut, villagers running with their kids to the lakes of Byblos.
I then imagine all the boys in the area, the guys in tracksuits outside Westfield with the TNs and bumbags.
I think about the Dogs and how desperately they need me. I think about how players like Holland could have benefited with players around him to lift him. I think about Thompson and how he needs someone to put him through holes. Sometimes I get it all jumbled up and imagine Thompson in tracksuits and TN’s, but that ones neither here or there.
The point is I feel inspired to keep going.
I owe it to my race, I owe it to myself and I owe it to the people of Lebanon to have someone to partner Moses at the World Cup.
I owe it to each of you, the bulldogs fans, who are sick of what we have become.
I owe it to future kids, the current day Nasheeds with nothing in places like Breakfast point and Claymore and wherever fans are found who can make the nrl after 15 years out of the game. I owe it the kids who are deciding who to support. I want to give them a reason to be dogs fans.
I owe it to all the area boys watching the games from their cells who remember me in the early days.

But fist things first, baby steps.

I need to get into the Mounties side.
If people are interested, there will be a part two to come.

Last edited:

Mattreneeandgus

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Movies are made from this stuff, mate, you are what we need, someone with street smarts, let’s all get behind this kid, who knows where this journey will end lol

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I can see the Bulldogs retiring the #7 jersey after you finish your playing journey @Nasheed. Your 12-24 months in the blue and white may well be regarded as the greatest impact by any individual on this great club. I can already picture a mural where you are being raised on to the shoulders of former Bulldogs greats being painted in the leagues club.

Foxalldayeveryday

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guy,

I'm touched with this post. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Does anyone here on TK have any connections within the club to get Nasheed a contract with the club?
I am also willing to start a go fund me page to help with equipment and training supplements from the area.

You are what the bulldogs are missing. You have the DNA and torque that we need.

Like and reply.

Foxalldayeveryday

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can see the Bulldogs retiring the #7 jersey after you finish your playing journey @Nasheed. Your 12-24 months in the blue and white may well be regarded as the greatest impact by any individual on this great club. I can already picture a mural where you are being raised on to the shoulders of former Bulldogs greats being painted in the leagues club.
images.jpeg-21.jpg

Dogsville

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nasheed i use to dislike your posts, basically thought you were just a dumbass but I actually enjoyed this one.

Forget about playing you should be coach or even CEO

I replied but didn't like, for legal reasons

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hahaha of course the fox liked this.post.

Sorry Nasheed at this age and your size there's no chance getting into the NRL, but great to have goals and stay fit. Yoùre at the age now that hamstrings tear if you're still quick, and besides sport is more pure at an amateur level.

Think Tropfest or short films is your calling.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here I was thinking Nasheed was really a bored 12 year old boy named Elliott