News My footy boot was on the wrong way: Pat O’Hanlon’s gruesome end

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Pat O’Hanlon still walks with a limp.

Pain medication is a constant, and the 27-year-old needs a hip replacement and ankle fusion.

Doctors believe O’Hanlon will have another hip replacement before his 55th birthday.

O’Hanlon’s NRL career abruptly five years ago, midway through his first finals match for Canterbury.

The Mackay Brothers junior had played 32 matches and was just establishing himself as a first grader when his ankle became crushed under an innocuous tackle involving Melbourne Storm trio Will Chambers, Cooper Cronk and Jesse Bromwich.

Many of the photographs from the incident are too graphic to ever be published.

“I knew in myself that would be all she wrote. I thought it straight away,” O’Hanlon says.

“Being six foot five and having a lower limb injury, the reality of it was this is going to be pretty hard to come back from.

“Firstly I looked down and my footy boot was facing the other way. From there I knew atomically that’s not correct. I felt a ball in my sock where the tibia was. They put my ankle back in place on the field which was painful.

“I was getting carted from the field and we went past my dad (Matt) who was on the sideline. They’d taken my sock off and weren’t letting me look down at it and I asked Dad what happened. He said, ‘don’t worry son it’s just a flesh wound’.

“He has always been able to make light of a dark situation. Then I looked down and I saw the bone sticking out.”

The injury not only robbed him of his career but ended his hopes of playing for Canterbury in the 2014 grand final.

O’Hanlon was unable to put any weight on his foot for four months, having undergone three operations to try to repair the damage. Doctors had told him he would not be able to play for 18 months and in the back of his mind O’Hanlon knew his career was over.

“I kind of wanted to move on but I had so many people around telling me to give it another crack,” O’Hanlon says. “I started to believe there was a possibility I could.

“I came back after 12 months. I could tell I wasn’t myself. It wasn’t first game jitters, I just didn’t have any explosion or range in my left leg. I couldn’t get low to make tackles.

“I knew after the first game I wasn’t playing first grade again.”

O’Hanlon persisted through another pre-season heading into the 2016 season, unable to let go of the camaraderie of the dressing room. Not only was he no longer a first grader, but O’Hanlon was struggling to cut it in reserve grade.

“It was a tough thing to tell yourself that I wasn’t good enough,” O’Hanlon says. “That was the reality. I wasn’t good enough anymore. I wasn’t even good enough to play reserve grade.

“In 2016 I played the first few games in reserve grade and then I kept saying I had to sit out next week. The trainers kept asking me when I was coming back but I was like, ‘I can’t run, I can barely walk’. I knew within myself it was done but to manifest it outwards it was pretty tough. Telling Des Hasler was tough.”

Hasler had offered O’Hanlon an opportunity after he was part of Ricky Stuart’s infamous overhead 12 the year before. He and 11 teammates featured on an overhead projector, brutally told they had no future at the Eels.

“I remember people being totally disenfranchised with it but to me it was just business,” O’Hanlon says. “There was probably a better way in letting people go. I don’t know what he wanted to get out of that. I’m not knocking Ricky Stuart’s character but I just think it could’ve been managed a bit better.

“It was a crisis meeting because we were getting towelled up. When you speak about player welfare there is a better way to do it.”

O’Hanlon was signed by Parramatta at just 17, following older brother Jake to the club. He’d had a decorated junior career playing alongside the likes of Ben Hunt, Josh McGuire and Andrew McCullough in various Queensland under-16, under-18 and Australian Schoolboys sides.

“I got called by Daniel Anderson to make my debut against the Warriors as a 19-year old in 2010,” O’Hanlon says. “Morning of the game it was freezing and teaming with rain. Daniel Anderson knocked on the door and said ‘we aren’t going to play you today’. I wasn’t bitter, I was just happy to have been in the mix.”

O’Hanlon’s season was over the next week during an under-20s game when his shoulder was shattered while trying to tackle then Bronco Tariq Sims. O’Hanlon made his debut the next season and played 21 games for the Eels before Stuart’s axe fell at the end of 2013.

“When I look at my career, I went from being cast aside from a club who had finished with the wooden spoon to being part of a grand final team,” O’Hanlon says. “I’m pretty proud about that.

“That outweighed me going through an injury. It was the fact and pride I took in that rapid turnaround and to get to that point, even though I knew I’d probably played my last game.”

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Read this last night, poor guy

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Poor guy. I forgot about that game. Hope things work out for him..

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
The side of the game we don’t hear about much. Instead we get fed the scummy stories like Barba being harassed to get a reaction.

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Such a shame as he was looking like a future star of our pack.

I know it was an accident but it always feels like when a career ending injury occurs, Melbourne are involved.

I’ll never forget the crocodile roll smith did on ennis back in 09, how he didn’t ruin his career that day I’ll never know

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They were the lucky ones — blessed with talent, passionate and on a path that led to riches and fame. Then it all came crashing down and they had to rebuild lives that would never be the same. Michael Carayannis continues our series profiling rugby league players whose careers ended all too soon.

Pat O’Hanlon still walks with a limp.

Pain medication is a constant, and the 27-year-old needs a hip replacement and ankle fusion.

Doctors believe O’Hanlon will have another hip replacement before his 55th birthday.

O’Hanlon’s NRL career ended abruptly five years ago, midway through his first finals match for Canterbury.

The Mackay Brothers junior had played 32 matches and was just establishing himself as a first grader when his ankle became crushed under an innocuous tackle involving Melbourne Storm trio Will Chambers, Cooper Cronk and Jesse Bromwich.

Many of the photographs from the incident are too graphic to ever be published.

“I knew in myself that would be all she wrote. I thought it straight away,” O’Hanlon says.

“Being six foot five and having a lower limb injury, the reality of it was this is going to be pretty hard to come back from.

Former Canterbury Bulldogs player Pat O'Hanlon has an office job these days. Picture: Toby Zerna
“Firstly I looked down and my footy boot was facing the other way. From there I knew atomically that’s not correct. I felt a ball in my sock where the tibia was. They put my ankle back in place on the field which was painful.

“I was getting carted from the field and we went past my dad (Matt) who was on the sideline. They’d taken my sock off and weren’t letting me look down at it and I asked Dad what happened. He said, ‘don’t worry son it’s just a flesh wound’.

“He has always been able to make light of a dark situation. Then I looked down and I saw the bone sticking out.”

The injury not only robbed him of his career but ended his hopes of playing for Canterbury in the 2014 grand final.

O’Hanlon was unable to put any weight on his foot for four months, having undergone three operations to try to repair the damage. Doctors had told him he would not be able to play for 18 months and in the back of his mind O’Hanlon knew his career was over.

Josh Morris’ face says it all following the horrific injury to O’Hanlon’s ankle. Picture: George Salpigtidis
“I kind of wanted to move on but I had so many people around telling me to give it another crack,” O’Hanlon says. “I started to believe there was a possibility I could.

“I came back after 12 months. I could tell I wasn’t myself. It wasn’t first game jitters, I just didn’t have any explosion or range in my left leg. I couldn’t get low to make tackles.

“I knew after the first game I wasn’t playing first grade again.”

O’Hanlon persisted through another pre-season heading into the 2016 season, unable to let go of the camaraderie of the dressing room. Not only was he no longer a first grader, but O’Hanlon was struggling to cut it in reserve grade.

“It was a tough thing to tell yourself that I wasn’t good enough,” O’Hanlon says. “That was the reality. I wasn’t good enough anymore. I wasn’t even good enough to play reserve grade.

“In 2016 I played the first few games in reserve grade and then I kept saying I had to sit out next week. The trainers kept asking me when I was coming back but I was like, ‘I can’t run, I can barely walk’. I knew within myself it was done but to manifest it outwards it was pretty tough. Telling Des Hasler was tough.”

Bulldogs forward Pat O'Hanlon suffered multiple ankle and leg compound fractures as a result of the injury.
Hasler had offered O’Hanlon an opportunity after he was part of Ricky Stuart’s infamous overhead 12 the year before. He and 11 teammates featured on an overhead projector, brutally told they had no future at the Eels.

“I remember people being totally disenfranchised with it but to me it was just business,” O’Hanlon says. “There was probably a better way in letting people go. I don’t know what he wanted to get out of that. I’m not knocking Ricky Stuart’s character but I just think it could’ve been managed a bit better.

“It was a crisis meeting because we were getting towelled up. When you speak about player welfare there is a better way to do it.”

O’Hanlon was signed by Parramatta at just 17, following older brother Jake to the club. He’d had a decorated junior career playing alongside the likes of Ben Hunt, Josh McGuire and Andrew McCullough in various Queensland under-16, under-18 and Australian Schoolboys sides.

O'Hanlon says he is still proud of his career despite the injuries which marred it. Picture: Luke Marsden
“I got called by Daniel Anderson to make my debut against the Warriors as a 19-year old in 2010,” O’Hanlon says. “Morning of the game it was freezing and teaming with rain. Daniel Anderson knocked on the door and said ‘we aren’t going to play you today’. I wasn’t bitter, I was just happy to have been in the mix.”

O’Hanlon’s season was over the next week during an under-20s game when his shoulder was shattered while trying to tackle then Bronco Tariq Sims. O’Hanlon made his debut the next season and played 21 games for the Eels before Stuart’s axe fell at the end of 2013.

“When I look at my career, I went from being cast aside from a club who had finished with the wooden spoon to being part of a grand final team,” O’Hanlon says. “I’m pretty proud about that.

“That outweighed me going through an injury. It was the fact and pride I took in that rapid turnaround and to get to that point, even though I knew I’d probably played my last game.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...d/news-story/598611f896ae5748393360545c9bdfc8

I sure hope the club is still looking after him

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Poor bloke, I suppose this is the untold story of a lot of players, thankfully he’s working and seems like his head is screwed on.

Also, maybe we can get Ricky Stuart here just to implement an “overhead 12” also???

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It was a shocking injury to see. But he's got his life back on track and can always be proud that he made it into the NRL. I hope it doesn't hamper him too much these days, but it sounds like it will be a constant reminder and require ongoing treatment. Not ideal, but compared to someone like Alex McKinnon it's not the worst outcome.

But I also hope the club looks after him with his ongoing treatment costs.

I know a lot of players would face ongoing treatment after retirement, even if they never suffered injuries that looked bad like this. And if the NFL is any indication, many might have bad brain trauma that could emerge later in life. In some ways I think it makes the criticism we often dish out pretty harsh. Even if we think players are not giving their best, they're playing a sport that requires plenty of toughness at an elite level. I admire their ability to do it.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Another injury caused by Storm tacklers..

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
Poor bloke, I suppose this is the untold story of a lot of players, thankfully he’s working and seems like his head is screwed on.

Also, maybe we can get Ricky Stuart here just to implement an “overhead 12” also???
we can pitch in for a second-hand overhead projector - those things are as cheap as chips!

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Thank you for posting this as I don't subscribe to the Telecrap...Yeah Pat in conversation with us at games always said that he was working hard at getting back on the field and gave out all the positive vibes but was thinking the opposite personally and conveying that to to the club. He was always a good sport on the field and that translated to being honourable off it making the decision to quit so that the club was not adversely affected.

Was always a favourite for me and it was sad that his career had to end the way it did. Had a wretched run with a shattered shoulder early on too and then getting the flick by Ricky.