News My Dogs no longer sleeping

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Interesting that baz mentioned tui katoa as he has not managed yet to crack a starting role in the team or even on the bench. Maybe one to watch. Also baz seemed to give Napa some wraps so maybe this year will be a big year for the bloke especially being a contract year. Hethero alongside him may bring the best out of the big fella.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Interesting that baz mentioned tui katoa as he has not managed yet to crack a starting role in the team or even on the bench. Maybe one to watch. Also baz seemed to give Napa some wraps so maybe this year will be a big year for the bloke especially being a contract year. Hethero alongside him may bring the best out of the big fella.
TKatoa steps up a spot with Crichton injured.

Go Dogs

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didn't he start on the wing for our last game of the year?

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Did anyone notice the line of question regarding Corey Allen that Baz attempted to side-step?

What are you expecting Corey Allan to bring at fullback?

It might be a simple question to some, but it is very loaded. The interviewer asks it in this particular manner, as he or she comes in with an assumption that Allan will be the fullback - which has never been stated by TBAZ or anyone else as true. So, this question has 2 purposes, with the phraseology of the question (the expectation of Corey) being truly the secondary motivation for the question, with the primary motivator being to confirm they he will be the fullback. A little sneaky...

TBaz replied smartly - brought in Meaney as an option, but then dropped Allan as an out and out fullback. He did not even mention Hopoate, so I think it all but confirms that Hoppa will be playing centre for us, and that Allan is the fullback.

Conversely, it could be all smoke and mirrors for Averillo to take the number 1.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
no nose whistling, no umming & erring, no dumb arse cliches, i like this bloke, hopefully he knows how to win
Who knows how it will play out but his comments do you give me confidence that Tbaz does have a plan and every move has a great deal of thinking behind it

Its quite refreshing to have a coach that does actually give you some genuine insight into what he is thinking.

No more "bringing back the madness" or "play what's in front of you"

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Katoa made his debut off the bench against the Panthers last year

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Some interesting stuff there. For me JAC is coming to play wing, I think Allen is locked into fullback.

I’m worried where Avo will end up in 22 but the positive is he seems like the front runner this year with no mention of Lewis.

The hard part will be keeping the young group together under the salary cap if they improve alot.
That is always the big issue with having a successful year. Baz and co are probably operating what is the best strategy to counter that, which is to have a group of blokes all at about the same age and stage of their career, and show them that they depend on each other for their success. That can to a degree curtail the million+ contract demands which typically come from players who stand out despite their team (think DCE at Manly, or more recently Tedesco at the Tigpies, and Fifita at the Bonkos). It also has the chance to instill in players the concept that if they want to keep having success, they need to stay with this bunch of players. That doesn't mean there won't be a bunch of upgrades being looked for in about 3 years if the team does really well, but, as the Strom have shown time and time again, if you've got the nucleus of your success together, you can whack some inexpensive youngsters and journeymen around that nucleus and still win the comp.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Did anyone notice the line of question regarding Corey Allen that Baz attempted to side-step?

It might be a simple question to some, but it is very loaded. The interviewer asks it in this particular manner, as he or she comes in with an assumption that Allan will be the fullback - which has never been stated by TBAZ or anyone else as true. So, this question has 2 purposes, with the phraseology of the question (the expectation of Corey) being truly the secondary motivation for the question, with the primary motivator being to confirm they he will be the fullback. A little sneaky...

TBaz replied smartly - brought in Meaney as an option, but then dropped Allan as an out and out fullback. He did not even mention Hopoate, so I think it all but confirms that Hoppa will be playing centre for us, and that Allan is the fullback.

Conversely, it could be all smoke and mirrors for Averillo to take the number 1.
Like the rest of the interview some of the questions were based on Baz's previous replies, ie the questions about Flanagan and how the roster is being built

Barrett also said " Corey Allan coming in at one " in his first response

My read is that Allen will start at 1 and its his to lose, and Hoppa to be nowhere near #1 jersey thank fuck

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

You know why?, because he ain't a fullback..

The people that rate Hoppa as a fullback focused too much on his infrequent try assists, because of "soft hands", his ability to defuse a bomb and his kick return metres.. they failed to see his other fatal flaws, especially in defence..

His speed and acceleration is a big problem, but I thought his read at the back was particularly poor. Anticipation can make up for speed in certain instances..

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good interview. I love the plan of building a team that can grow together. Our spine should be able to stay together for the rest of this decade.

I would have liked a question about the 9 but I don't remember Baz ever being asked about hooker...................why?

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like he might play avo at 6

but I have a feeling he will play
wakeham 6
Avo 3 &hoppa 4
Cotric 2 &dwz 5

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

It seems unlikely that they went to market to buy Allan only for Avo to play FB.
I think Avo will either be #6 or #14.

I think back 5 will be:
1. Allan
2. DWZ
3. Cotric
4. Hoppa
5. Meaney

Morris1

Waterboy
Reaction score
No mention of what the hooking role will look like. Jmk for 80? Jmk and katoa sharing duties. I guess we will find out in march