My Bulldogs Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
- 4th generation Bulldogs fan born in Bankstown Hospital.
- Raised in Wiley Park (Hillard Street represent !) and attended both Lakemba PS & Wattawa Heights PS until 8yo (moved to Campbelltown '85)
- All of my elder relos remained in greater Bankstown area (Georges Hall, Panania, Condell Park, Revesby).

Earliest memory is the 1980 GF. I was 4 and out flat was decked out in blue'n'white stuff. I later grew to understand "this is tradition", that was started by Nanna Jones (my late great-grandmother) who was largely the reason for my Mum's fanatical support. My mum grew up with her Nan taking her to games as therapy/respite due to multiple surgeries for her cerebral palsy when she was young. That love for Canterbury has never died, and it runs thick in my extended family.

You see, Nanna Jones has 8 kids back in the day.
My Mum is one of 40+ grand-kids, a lot of whom are now parents/grand-parents themselves.
"ME", I was the first great-grandchild. When you add it all up, marriages, grandkids, great-grandkids, etc ... Nanna Jones was a direct influence responsible for more than 100 Bulldogs fans.

I've been blessed : 80, 84, 85, 88, 95, 04 and if you add the losses (86, 94, 98, 12) that's 10 Grand-finals.

Sunday makes '11'. :becky:

ninja_h

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Rarely I got so overcome by emotions, and I'm sorry to everyone in advance. This week been ahelluva rollar-coaster for me. I've witnessed the true human spirit, passion and determination in two seemingly distant contexts: the on-going massive protest in my hometown Hong Kong and doggies, my beloved club, coming on top to reach THE grand final after all the struggles and slumps of form this year.

Obviously different goals, different objectives. But the underlying mantra is universal.

Play till the last min. Fight till the last man. Never give up. Never give in.

Feeling so alive.

Last edited by a moderator:

NallaC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Born in Auburn. Grew up in Georges Hall. Went to school in bankstown. Been following the dogs since I can remember. Earliest memory was the early 80's entertainers. Played 6 grandfinals on belmore as a jr only won one. Played jr reps for dogs in the 90's and played most of my playing days with chester hill. There has never been anything but the dogs and there never will....

mygdok

Waterboy
Reaction score
My story.

Born in Parramatta (yes, still disgusted by that). Grew up in the Hunter Valley, with a father who supported the Dragons, a mother who supported Wests (now supports Wests Tigers), an older sister who supported Parramatta (now Manly), a younger sister who supported North Sydney (no idea who she supports now), a grandfather who supported South Sydney, an uncle who supported the Roosters, and no idea about the others.

Except for 1985, when my father tried to convert me into a Dragons fan, I have always only ever supported one team...the Bulldogs. I found out later that my dad's cousin used to play in the lower grades with the Bulldogs around the 1960's/1970's, and that my mothers uncle played first grade with the Bulldogs in the 1960's. Also attended the same high school as Jamie Feeney, and knew one of his brothers reasonably well.

First ever Bulldogs game I attended was in 2003, when we beat Souths 62-12 at the football stadium. Attended both the 2004 and 2012 grand finals. Was also in the sheds after Brett kimmorley a and Luke pattens last home game for the Bulldogs. Nearly moved to the Canterbury area in 2009, but knocked back a 2 bedroom unit in Campsie.

Turned my wife into a Bulldogs fan, and her entire family as well ( they are from Broken Hill).

Have no idea what I am doing for the grand final. Don't have tickets to the game, couldn't get into Bulldogs leagues club, and plans to watch with a friend fell through.

mearsey

panania raised
Reaction score
- 4th generation Bulldogs fan born in Bankstown Hospital.
- Raised in Wiley Park (Hillard Street represent !) and attended both Lakemba PS & Wattawa Heights PS until 8yo (moved to Campbelltown '85)
- All of my elder relos remained in greater Bankstown area (Georges Hall, Panania, Condell Park, Revesby).

Earliest memory is the 1980 GF. I was 4 and out flat was decked out in blue'n'white stuff. I later grew to understand "this is tradition", that was started by Nanna Jones (my late great-grandmother) who was largely the reason for my Mum's fanatical support. My mum grew up with her Nan taking her to games as therapy/respite due to multiple surgeries for her cerebral palsy when she was young. That love for Canterbury has never died, and it runs thick in my extended family.

You see, Nanna Jones has 8 kids back in the day.
My Mum is one of 40+ grand-kids, a lot of whom are now parents/grand-parents themselves.
"ME", I was the first great-grandchild. When you add it all up, marriages, grandkids, great-grandkids, etc ... Nanna Jones was a direct influence responsible for more than 100 Bulldogs fans.

I've been blessed : 80, 84, 85, 88, 95, 04 and if you add the losses (86, 94, 98, 12) that's 10 Grand-finals.

Sunday makes '11'. :becky:
Wow , great story Captain . One of my enduring memories as a boy was everyone in the Bankstown area would paint the town , blue and white . Everyone had blue and white streamers , balloons and ribbons in the working class area - and when the dogs didnt make it we would follow Parra ( just threw up in my mouth ) , that stuff stays with you .

Am really pumped up after reading George Peponis's story , he is Canterbury .

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Have no idea what I am doing for the grand final. Don't have tickets to the game, couldn't get into Bulldogs leagues club, and plans to watch with a friend fell through.
Thought about Belmore Sports Ground?

Guardog

You Dirty Dog
Reaction score
Here's My Story

Please tell Yours

I've loved the Dogs all my life.
I went to Belmore Boys High School in the 60's and grew up rolling down the hill at Belmore Oval.
This week has been such a buzz - and reading the Kennel a couple of times every day has kept me feeling a part of it now I no longer live in the area - thanks guys.
I love the way posters have been quietly confident without being arrogant - it just been magic on the Kennel this week - and the doubters have disappeared and been replaced by optimism.
I truly believe we can take this game.
I live near the Qld border in Northern NSW and was ready to have a huge day with my family watching the game and cheering the mighty Doggies on to victory on the tellie until yesterday, when a good friend and Bulldogs fan called up to tell me he had shouted me and my son tickets to the Grand Final, and that I had better be there. He didn't have to ask twice.
So there's my story... I'll be at the game with the next generation of Dogs fans, taking him just like my Dad took me.
I honestly can't wait to be there with you cheering on the boys.....and then heading back to Belmore afterwards for the celebration.
That's my story - what's yours
I was born a Berries / Bulldogs man 55 years ago. My Mum and Dad are from the Bankstown / Wiley Park areas. I was raised in Lalor Park. I too rolled down the Hill at Belmore, or got the old pie boxes to do the sliding.

I hunted autographs for most of the day before going back to my mum and dad to watch the game. Great times.

For Sunday, I have purchased a 120cm drop down screen and set up a media projector. Trialed it last week, and spent all this week doing the fine modifications. Now, it is ready to go.

I live on the South Australian Border and get to one or two games a year. I get to Melbourne each year, and went to both Adelaide games. I can't wait for Sunday.

I am quietly confident, and have not taken up the ranting raving approach of my South Sydney supporter friends. Come on the Doggies, win this thing.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Parents came here from Lebanon, had me and my brother when living in Yagoona but moved out to Parramatta area this was when we were young but we still don't forget where we came from.

Started following footy so I barracked for my true home team and here I am now Blue and White as ever!

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I want to thumb u down for allowing ur son to support the enemy. Where is the discipline these days sheeesh lol. But im in too good of a mood so ur safe for now!!!
Thank you finchie. I tried everything I could to keep him on the correct path. He did support the Dogs until his early teens and then he turned to the dark side. Probably felt sorry for them to be honest. But at least his daughter ( my granddaughter ) listens to Grandma and tells him Bulldogs are the greatest, go the Bulldogs!

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
My story.

Born in Parramatta (yes, still disgusted by that). Grew up in the Hunter Valley, with a father who supported the Dragons, a mother who supported Wests (now supports Wests Tigers), an older sister who supported Parramatta (now Manly), a younger sister who supported North Sydney (no idea who she supports now), a grandfather who supported South Sydney, an uncle who supported the Roosters, and no idea about the others.

Except for 1985, when my father tried to convert me into a Dragons fan, I have always only ever supported one team...the Bulldogs. I found out later that my dad's cousin used to play in the lower grades with the Bulldogs around the 1960's/1970's, and that my mothers uncle played first grade with the Bulldogs in the 1960's. Also attended the same high school as Jamie Feeney, and knew one of his brothers reasonably well.

First ever Bulldogs game I attended was in 2003, when we beat Souths 62-12 at the football stadium. Attended both the 2004 and 2012 grand finals. Was also in the sheds after Brett kimmorley a and Luke pattens last home game for the Bulldogs. Nearly moved to the Canterbury area in 2009, but knocked back a 2 bedroom unit in Campsie.

Turned my wife into a Bulldogs fan, and her entire family as well ( they are from Broken Hill).

Agree with Gareth that if you live close to Belmore go to our traditional home. Mate, the atmosphere there will be phenomenal, families and friends enjoying Grand final night. Cheap as chips too, $20 for the family or $10 single. Can't go wrong and close to the club too.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I was born a Berries / Bulldogs man 55 years ago. My Mum and Dad are from the Bankstown / Wiley Park areas. I was raised in Lalor Park. I too rolled down the Hill at Belmore, or got the old pie boxes to do the sliding.

I hunted autographs for most of the day before going back to my mum and dad to watch the game. Great times.

For Sunday, I have purchased a 120cm drop down screen and set up a media projector. Trialed it last week, and spent all this week doing the fine modifications. Now, it is ready to go.

I live on the South Australian Border and get to one or two games a year. I get to Melbourne each year, and went to both Adelaide games. I can't wait for Sunday.

I am quietly confident, and have not taken up the ranting raving approach of my South Sydney supporter friends. Come on the Doggies, win this thing.
Wow, good on you. I hope your day, albeit far away from our spiritual home will be a good one. Love the passion that you try to get to games when you can, can't fault you for that. Once you get the blue and white in your blood you can never let go. Enjoy the ride.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
Born and grew up in Riverwood. Dad followed St George but I decided when I was about 4 that I liked Dogs as an animal so I would follow them. Dad was cool with it because he pointed out to me it was my local team. He use to take me to a couple of games a year down at Belmore and started getting a soft spot. When St George merged he officially made to leap. We both became quite involved with the board of the leagues club and for 10 years sat in the corporate box watching as many Dogs games as possible. Our connection with the board passed away so now we sit with the members which is so much more fun. Down at Belmore now having a beer soaking it all up.

Go Dogs..

JAYDOG

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Well boys, born & still live in newcastle, became a dogs fan on the day of the 88 grand final against the tigers, i was 7! Long story short went to a grand final party with my parents got 2 the house & the whole house was covered in black & orange streamers! But there was 1 guy there who would have been around my age now & he was the only dog man there! I ended up sitting next 2 him during the game & after we won he gave me his dogs shirt off his back & i still have it 2 this day:grinning: go you dogs!!

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Great thread reading about everyone. I was born in Canterbury hospital. My earliest memory was games against Parra in the early 80's and my dad explaining to me I had to choose a side to follow. I asked him who he went for and he said the bulldogs and the rest is history. I didn't really attend a game until I was an adult - I remember going to Parra stadium in around 1998/99 for a game against the Eels who my mate supported.

Sadly my dad isn't around anymore - he passed away in 2012 and I was hoping we would win that year. I know he'd be exstatic with the way they've performed in the last few weeks.

mygdok

Waterboy
Reaction score
Agree with Gareth that if you live close to Belmore go to our traditional home. Mate, the atmosphere there will be phenomenal, families and friends enjoying Grand final night. Cheap as chips too, $20 for the family or $10 single. Can't go wrong and close to the club too.
I live across the river from Olympic park, at meadowbank. Plus I start work at 6am on the Monday morning, so can't stay up too late past fulltime. As soon as the fulltime siren went, and some of the celebrations were in full swing, I was planning on leaving the leagues club to come home, had I gone there.

mearsey

panania raised
Reaction score
One of my first ever dogs games at belmore was v wests . Chris Anderson took an intercept and ran length of the field to score . Must have been around 1979 . Got to meet him and remind him

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
Here is my story, in my family you are either a bulldog or you are disowned, a outcast and traitor to your family.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Here is my story, in my family you are either a bulldog or you are disowned, a outcast and traitor to your family.
What is wrong with that? Quite okay lol.

the_yuk

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I was a late bloomer, didn't start following sport at all until 2001. Started watching and enjoyed watching a few teams, particularly the dogs when we were playing at the show ground. I went for Newcastle n that years grand final but the dogs bug had bit and by 2002 I was a blue and white through and through.

Ride the highs of 2002 until salary cap hit and was devastated, I remember as a 16 year old buying a dogs jersey and wearing it with pride everywhere, copping the abuse the whole time but wearing the jersey with pride!

A signed poster of hazem lives on my bookcase, and I'm as one eyed and loyal as any other dogs supporter out there!

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I live across the river from Olympic park, at meadowbank. Plus I start work at 6am on the Monday morning, so can't stay up too late past fulltime. As soon as the fulltime siren went, and some of the celebrations were in full swing, I was planning on leaving the leagues club to come home, had I gone there.
Shame mate. Yes having the game starting when it does makes it difficult for some people especially if you have to work the next day. Car distance by direct route only about 12km but I guess that could be problem with traffic around Belmore, that is if you do drive. By train, don't know. Just a thought, hate to think you would miss the atmosphere.

Status
Not open for further replies.